Dr. Richard S. Nachwalter

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Richard S. Nachwalter

I was recently diagnosed with a severely herniated disc in my L5 /S1 Lumbar. I was in excruciating pain down my entire left leg and unable to stand or sit. Dr Nachwalter performed a micro-discectomy within a few days of seeing my MRI results. Within minutes after the procedure in the recovery room, the pain in my left leg was completely gone! I would recommend Dr Nachwalter without hesitation.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

When I went to dr Nachwalter was in so much pain and . He is a friendly doctor . My surgery went great now just recovering no more pain. Thanks to dr. Nachwalter... I can walk without shooting pain down my leg or side hurting .. he is a great doctor

flag | Submitted October 5, 2017

After being in a car accident 7 years ago and having numerous injections Dr Nachwalter was able to give me a solution. When I first saw him I was not in tremendous pain so I decided not to do surgery. He did not pressure me one way or another. However after 6 months the pain returned and I was unable to avoid surgery. The staff and he were extremely helpful in explaining what was to take place. I am now recovering and I can't believe I waited so long. The only pain I have left is from the surgery which deminishes everyday!

flag | Submitted September 14, 2017

doctor Nachwalter found that I had been walking around with a fractured spine for three years something several other doctors overlooked. Doctor Nachwalter performed a fusion surgery on me on 8/18/2017 and not even a month after the surgery I am able to walk and stand with out fear and pain for the first time in three years. Thankyou.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

Knew exactly what was wrong and fixed it right away

flag | Submitted August 31, 2017

After months of dealing with workers comp, Garden State Orthopedics ,pain,and suffering I was recommended to Dr. Richard Nachwalter he is a true experienced professional and a great Doctor. I was pain free within one week, a million thanks to you and your staff

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

Dr. Nachwalter is an amazing doctor. He was able to quickly diagnose my husbandś sciatica and recommend a course of treatment, which in this case was lumbar disc replacement. He explained that PT would not help but was usually required by the insurance companies. His billing assistant Lilly was able to get the surgery approved because of his excruciating pain, without wasting weeks in PT. The surgery went smoothly, and he woke up without sciatica pain. My husband is doing great. He is even taller now. Dr. Nachwalter has an excellent bedside manner. He is confident, but not arrogant . A pleasure to work with.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

I have been very satisfied with my treatment by Dr. Nachwalter and his office staff. Dr. Nachwalter was very direct when discussing my pain issue. We found the cause, a large cyst pressing on the nerve bundle and a degenerative disc. He laid out what needed to be done, what surgery would be like, what the recovery time would be, what limitations I could expect after healing and what the risks surgery would pose. I appreciate straight forward information from a doctor, especially in the circumstance I was in, severe nerve pain running down both legs. I got it and so far I've experienced everything Dr. Nachwalter said I would. My pain was completely relieved and I've had no setbacks or unexpected issues in my recovery. I have recommended Dr. Nachwalter to a work colleague of mine and will not hesitate to recommend him to anyone looking for a competent spine doctor.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

I went to Dr. Nachwalter for a workmans comp. case. Initially, I was sent to a different doctor for the same injury . Although both doctors agreed that I required surgery, Dr. Nachwalter advised me to have my surgery in the hospital instead of a "surgi" center. This was because of a few factors that the first surgeon didn't pick up on. The level of competence, knowledge and experience is definitely a step up with Dr. Nachwalter. He was extremely frank and honest, discussed the pros, cons and risks associated with my surgery. I felt extremely comfortable in his hands and that he really cared for his patients. Post op, I had a few concerns and contacted him via his answering service. Not only did he not seem bothered or irritated, he encouraged me to contact him if I had any further concerns. I would highly recommend him to my friends and family.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2017

After 4 years of back and sciatic pain, I decided to finally get surgery at age 37. After doing my due diligence and visiting over 10 surgeons in both New Jersey and Manhattan, I felt confident that Dr Nachwalter was my surgeon of choice. Not only did I find Dr Nachwalter to be professional, confident and come highly recommended, I liked his honesty the most. He is not the “rush to surgery” type of surgeon. After a few consolations and diagnostic shots, we collectively came to the conclusion that I was in fact a candidate for surgery. He was upfront and honest as to what my expectations should be from the surgery. On April 25th, I had laminectomy performed by Dr Nachwalter. I am still in my infancy of recovery however I must say that I am beyond satisfied so far. Everything Dr Nachwalter told me to expect has been spot on. The surgery was performed on time and went exactly as he described. The follow up from both him and his office has been second to none. I would highly recommend anyone considering back surgery to visit Dr Nachwalter.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2017

Dr. Richard S. Nachwalter's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Nachwalter is an orthopedic spine surgeon with more the 15 years of experience specializing in all disorders of the spine. He is fellowship trained in orthopedic spine surgery and holds a subspecialty fellowship in spinal surgery. Dr. Nachwalter is the author of two spine book chapters in press as well as four articles in peer review journals regarding spinal surgery and several abstracts. He has presented over 40 medical presentations and poster exhibits and has participated in course faculty. Away from his practice, he maintains ties to current research and practices through his memberships in the North American Spine Society, The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, The New Jersey Orthopedic Society and the Medical Society of New Jersey. Dr. Nachwalter has also been the recipient of numerous Healing Hand Awards and ACE awards. Currently, Dr. Richard Nachwalter is involved cutting edge spinal surgery at Morristown Medical Center, by serving as Chairman of the Spine New Technology Committee. He also serves on the Spine Steering committee and on the Orthopedic advisory committee. He has extensive experience in both surgical and nonsurgical management of spinal disorders. He utilizes minimally invasive techniques, microscopic surgical techniques, and traditional surgery as well. All conservative measures are exhausted before surgery is considered.

• English

• University Of Pittsburgh School Of Medicine (Grad. 1994)

• Healing Hands Award