Ratings for Dr. John W. Mann

Dr. MAnn operated on my broken ankle. The experience was terrible! I was in pain for almost a year because of him! After 5 months, I was having so much swelling and pain that I went back to him to find out what was wrong. He took X-rays and then just told me "it was going to hurt some". When I walked up towards the X-rays to talk about my pain, he jerked them down off the light box. I didn't even know how to respond! As it turned out, he knew what those X-Rays showed that the screws he put in my ankle had already backed out and the were tearing up the tissue in my ankle every day. I didn't find this out until I suffered for another 6 months before going to another doctor. I should have sued him for malpractice. But, I didn't think I could find an attorney in Roanoke that would take the case because he is with Carillon. He covered up his bad surgery - he is a terrible man!

flag | Submitted August 3, 2015

I have been seeing Dr. Mann for five plus years and have never experienced any of the negative behaviors others mention in their reviews. He treats me as a whole person as we have discussed my knee issues causing back issues, although he did once defer refilling an NSAID to my primary care physian which, while it was a pain for me, is a good practice since NSAIDs can cause heart issues and she was treating me for mild hypertension. I will soon be getting knee surgery and when I asked if he used a non-invasive procedure he explained that he would not and why he prefers the more "invasive procedure (gets better placement and has fewer complications and that a previous study had not properly controlled for the differences in the use of pain medication). Obviously, if Dr. Mann had the issues cited by others I would not have continued seeing him and he would not be doing my knee replacement.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2012

Being new to the state of Va. I looked forward to getting good quality medical care. With Dr Mann, I feel I got just that. I found him to be professional, respectful, and above all very knowledgeable. I delayed for a long time getting the care I needed. And for me the wait was worth it. Yes it is a busy office, but that is due to the fact that there is a number of Drs' in the same facility. I did not feel at all rushed, unheard or that Dr Mann was not listening to me. He seemed to understand I was under stress, yet he didnt allow that to get in the way of doing his work. I would indeed recommend him. He is a very 'thinking' physician, which may lead some thin skinned ppl to think he's not friendly. I personally was at ease with him and I have the most thin- skin of anyone I know :) I would certainly feel comfortable having a friend or anyone else for that matter visit Dr M for thier Ortho surg care. V.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2012

John Mann is a poor patient representative. He lacks the knowledge that one would consider “cutting edge” within the orthopedic field. Moreover, he is condescending - bordering on aggressive. Avoid him if you can.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2010

This practice has very much a high-volume, assembly-line philosophy. I went in for joint pain, and Dr. Mann would only allow me to talk about one area (my knees). He actually was very insistent that I would need to make another appointment to talk about other joint issues (e.g., my hips). He showed no interest in hearing about other joint pains that might be related and would help paint a picture of me as a whole patient. In fact, he didn't even pursue the fact that I had been wearing orthotics for many years to check whether I might need new ones. He was initially friendly, but ended up being pretty smug and sarcastic. He said he would set me up with the physical therapy department there, but I was shuffled out of the office without that happening. I will stress that I was very polite and not demanding at all. I could have been more assertive, but Dr. Mann's refusal to offer any more help was quite firm. I will not be going back to that practice again, and I suggest avoiding Dr. Mann.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2009

I felt he was emotionless somewhat condescending non verbal communicationless beyond the cut and dry, would not expound on my tests or further treatment even after I requested additional information. I will not be seeing this orthopedist again

flag | Submitted June 19, 2007

Dr. John W. Mann's Credentials

• University Of Virginia School Of Medicine (Grad. 1987)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Roanoke, VA