Ratings for Dr. James M. Petko

Do not go to this place, they insisted on charging me the entire amount for my orthotics including making me pay my deductible ON THE SPOT. The Asian nurse/office manager was incredibly rude, raised her voice and threatened me repeatedly with keeping the orthotics - which I had paid 200 dollars for on the first visit - forget about copay or waiting for the insurance. VERY shoddy business practice and very rude. I have never been charged more then a copay for a visit - the insurance company determines what will be owed. My first clue should have been that the waiting room is always empty. There are plenty of reputable podiatrists in the area. I wish I never would have stepped foot in that place. Beware.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2014

I went to this doctor because he is a runner and because he specializes in Sports Medicine. The doctor diagnosed plantar fasciitis and explained what caused it. Dr. Petko recommended conservative care along with new running shoes and store-bought orthotics. Within a week I noticed improvement in my foot. Shortly thereafter I was running again. I never felt rushed at my appointments and he always made sure my questions were answered. My experience was very positive and educational. The doctor seems to know his stuff and I would not hesitate to recommend him.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2014

The doctor was thorough in his evaluation and generous with his time. He is a marathon runner and really seems to know a lot about running injuries. The staff is also very good.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2013

Staff fit me in, not only SAME DAY, but took me back as soon as I was done with paperwork. Dr,Petko allowed me to use his magnifying glass to examine the XRays and took the time to not onky explin, but show me what was going on. AWESOME experience all around. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2011

I felt the amt chg'd was exorbitant for what was ultimately done & would neither recommend or return.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2011

I have a similar complaint to another patient. I am now 6 months post injury and am only now trying to piece together a path back to recovery. I injured myself in July- went to one dr. who told me grade 1 sprain. Not better by September, so I found Dr. Petko through a running magazine. I wanted an MRI, but he discouraged it and recommended more therapy. Then I started to have hip problems- I got therepy for that-finally I got an MRI on my ankle in December- It revealed a torn tendon in my ankle- and an MRI in January- it revealed a tear in my hip cartilage- Dr. Petko is a nice man, but he did not even have a foot surgeon to recommend- said he dealt mostly with "runners knee"- so, as of now I am very frustrated with health care professionals

flag | Submitted February 7, 2011

I saw DrPetko in Feb 2008 with a sore foot and hip. He says he attends to runners but quickly dismissed my hip injury and told me 'he didn't do hips.' nothing else. As for my foot, the x-rays (>$200) were so bad that Dr.Petko could not tell if I had a fracture or if it was a blur.His diagnosis was tendonitis and he gave me a brochure and told me to ice it.He said it was my option to have an MRI which I decided to do and gave me my x-rays.After the MRI I decided not to go back to Dr.Petko.When I called to cancel my appt the office told me I needed to return the X-rays I paid for. I refused and they called me 2x to return them not mentioning the results of the MRI.In July I went to another doctor and brought the MRI and was asked about the report which I never rcv'd. The report went to Dr.Petko. It clearly stated that I had torn a tendon. Dr.Petko never contacted me with the results. Dr. Petko has shoddy equipment, does not care about his patients and his best advice is to ice pain.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2009

Dr. Petko made a pair of orthotics which did not fit and were very uncomfortable. After several months trying them with various shoes that he recommended. The result was he would not make any adjustments unless I paid to have them adjusted. He said he saw nothing wrong with them but that I could go for a second opinion. I did go to two other podiatrist in the area. They said they were useless and that I would have to have orthotics made over because they were not suitable for my foot function. Those podiatrist charge 300-350 for orthotics, Dr. Petko charges 595 and charged for 3 visits to follow-up on the ill-fitting orthotics. I was able through the Podiatric Association and my credit card company to get a refund of $595 for the orthotics. I will have to go to another podiatrist. This doctor was unhelpful and dismissive of my concerns. He refused to stand behind his product. The orthotics were expensive and then he wanted me to pay for any adjustments when they were not right at all.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2008

I had an appointment to have orthotics made. I had my baby with me. He started fussing/crying, and each time he started, the doctor stormed out of the room. He did this 4 times, the last time he came back he leaned into my face, screamed at me while he started crying at the same time, said his father had died (6 months before), said he was in a bad mood, said he had a short fuse, and said just couldn't take it. He appeared violent but crying at the same time. I went to this podiatrist for 7 years. He is a decent podiatrist, although I would have said much better of him before this final appointment. He seems to be having a breakdown, it was odd, unprofessional, and actually frightening. I received a refund from his office manager and I canceled the order of my orthotics. Just a warning, at the least, you know this doctor does not like children, although his staff is great with kids. I cannot recommend this doctor any longer. Very scary encounter.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2007

Dr. James M. Petko's Credentials

• Ohio College Of Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 1983)

• Blue Shield California