Ratings for Dr. G. James Scozzafava

I'm over 80 yrs old and have had more than my share of health problems and doctors and have no hesitation to recommend Dr. Scozzafava as one of the best doctors I have ever had. I first encountered Dr. S. in the ER and he was caring, professional and stayed late to make sure I was OK before going home at the end of the day. In subsequent visits with him he went out of his way to help me with problems related to my ER visit even instructing his assistants to fit me in for an appointment during his lunch break. He is pleasant with a great bedside manner. He is a great doctor and great person.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2018

I cannot rate actually on staff as I did not personally meet Dr Scozzafava, whom I contacted on-line based on his previous published work in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2010. However, Dr. Scozzafava followed up on the topic promptly and replied with good and cautious advice. From afar, he provided valuable insight and opinion based on his expertise, prior experience and current knowledge of medical institutions in Canada. I am grateful for his advice as we seek treatment for a rare neurological condition for my sister. As an out-of-town resident, it would have been a costly and long wait to get such consultation. Dr Scozzafava took the time to do this, pro-bono, and offered to help further. This speaks volumes. Thank very much Dr. Scozzafava. T.Wong, North York, ON

flag | Submitted March 21, 2018

I am truly grateful that Dr Scozzafava was the neurologist I was referred to from the ER. He is fabulous, knowledgeable, and compassionate. He listened to my concerns and addressed them directly and immediately. He will go to other professionals for their opinion to double check his suspicions. He discusses options with you, pros and cons and allows you a say in your own treatment. No rush to leave me till my questions and concerns were explained thoroughly, dictated a huge explanation letter to my GP for her follow up and follows up with you on his recommendations as well. Have absolutely no hesitation in recommending him.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2018

I am truly grareful that Dr Scozzafava was the neurologist on call when I first went into the ER. He is knowledgeable, compassionate and caring. When I started getting a side effect to a med that he hadn't heard of, he chose to believe me rather than dismiss me. When I was admitted into the ER on his advice, he came and checked on me twice during my 10 hour wait and harassed the staff to try and get me seen sooner. He will go to other professionals for their opinion if he's unsure of something or if he wants to double check his suspicions. He discusses options with you, pros and cons and allows you a say in your own treatment. All in all, for a neurologist who basically picked me up out of an ER by chance alone, I couldn't be happier with my treatment. I would recommend him in a heartbeat.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2018

Saw him at the Kaye Urgent Clinic. Excellent bedside manner - very thorough, but he's the kind of doctor that once he decides you're fine, he's done with you and that's the end of it. I ended up getting left hanging and now I have a pile of new symptoms due to a worsening neurological condition and nowhere to go. The problem is that once you have an expert list you as being in the all-clear, it becomes very hard to get another one to see you. My GP has been having a lot of trouble finding somewhere to send me. I wish that Dr. S had taken a bit more time to examine my history and other symptoms before sending me off. He was very attentive at first, but I felt like I got the brush off at the end and subsequently I'm now stuck in treatment limbo with a really scary bunch of things happening to my body. He's also got this mental switch from expert, genius doctor to doctor with superb bedside manor. It's a literal switch in his head. There is no in between. He's capable of both but not at the same time.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2017

I originally met Dr James at Grey Nuns ER August 2017 and then saw him at his Neurology Clinic in the Edmonton Kaye Center in the same month. He's prompt but didnt make me feel rush.Phenomenal bedside manner. He listened to me. He asked my opinions. Made sure I understood. Remembered personal things. Talked out loud about his reasoning and thought process.kept me in the room while he dictated a letter to a colleague and asked me if I felt it was accurate. I appreciate feeling like I was involved through the whole process of my care. I also appreciate his considerate and down to earth demeanor. The Nurse, N seemed a little stand off-ish but maybe she was busy and had other things going on. She was professional either way

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

I have seen him at his office three times. Looking for a new neurologist. I feel it was a wasted referral especially after three visits all the same. My car accident was in 2010 and I got to see him in 2012 because my Dr was concerned at my left side weakness, dizziness, loss of sensation on my left side, worst headaches ever, nerve pain, ringing in my ears, pain and pressure in my eyes and more. He never once examined me. He never looked at anything, he said it was my concussion. He sits on the American Concussion Board and blah blah. He got mad at me for coming for a second appointment, I had questions and he raised his voice saying ITS A CONCUSSION. Gave me some antidepressants that caused suicidal thoughts, went back and no exam again, gave me Topamax for migraine pain because its side effect is weight loss (i was 20lbs overweight), he gave me diagnosis' to my Dr without even testing me or telling me. All three times he said it was my post concussion syndrome. ENT ruled otherwise and I still need another neurologist to diagnose a possible spinal fluid leak and cranial spinal fluid leak. I am disappointed because I was excited when I got the call to book with him afer reading all the wonderful reviews. I have it three shots and struck out three times. Says alot.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

Terrible bedside manner wrote it off as something I was pretending to feel for attention. Didn't seem to care looked bored my entire visit and treated me like I wasn't smart enough. Didn't give me any explanation or help towards a treatment plan. Not very friendly.

Submitted April 12, 2017

I have had Dr S. For many years. I have always found both he and his staff to be incredibly helpful understanding and compassionate. He seems genuinely concerned for your health and actually listens to your questions. I cannot recommend him enough.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017

Dr Scozzafava and his staff were amazing they went above and beyond. First time ive ever felt cared for to have a doctor stop someone doing what they do and give this person instructions more specific to my situation then explain everything to me as to what he was doing was so comforting and amazing. I felt i was getting top notch help by far i am thankful honored and very thankful to have Dr. Scozzafaza as my doctor i gave top score for punctuality even thou the doctor was a bit late i feel the hospital was very busy and Dr. Scozzafava takes the time for his patients if needed I did not mind waiting at all for him. i also feel he is excptional

flag | Submitted June 16, 2016