Ratings for Dr. Joseph Chan

A brilliant, young surgeon with good bedside manner. He performed laparoscopic cholecystectomy for mom and during the time in the waiting room, I seen none of the surgeons except Dr. Chan come and explain how is the surgery and my mom. He is caring and put me totally at ease. It is grateful to have such good surgeon in Scarborough.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2016

Dr. Chan performed gullbladder removal surgery on my on May 11th. I have never met a Dr. who genuinely cares as much as him. He was patient, kind and answered all my questions and concerns. He is one of a kind. His administrative assistant was also fantastic.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2016

Stay away from this guy! He did a surgery on me and I developed severe complications. He did not take any active action to treat the complications, nor referred me to other specialist. Now it is a permanent pain on me...

flag | Submitted April 21, 2016

I've been to see him twice. He is so welcoming, very knowledgable, and very attentive to my concerns. Always greeted me with a smile and a handshake, which is lovely for a doctor to do honestly. His receptionist is a very efficient woman also.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2016

Dr Chan is a nice gentle Doctor who I ever met before. He always shows his patience to listen and answer my concern. The secretary is also a responsible and efficiency lady. In the early morning she called to remind me the schedule I had the surgery in the hospital that I did not expect so good staff Dr Chan has. I highly recommend this Doctor.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2015

My mother has seen him three times, twice for hemorrhoids the 3rd time for a colonoscopy. I went with her to help translate and I was very impressed with his manner. I felt he actually listened to her ( she can be difficult to understand - even I don't understand her sometimes - and for all you potential haters - yes I speak with her daily so it is not due to a lack of communication ) and gave her the time to try and express what she was saying on every occasion she has seen him. Her colonoscopy went well he reassured both her and I, before and after the procedure. I don't have any problems with his secretary, she is to the point but I have never found her rude. My mother actually cancelled and then rebooked the colonoscopy within the span of a week, and the secretary was understanding about it and followed up with me to inform me of the decision and without any attitude or rudeness. To me, this is good service, period.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2015

i had a colonoscopy and was suppose to have hemmorroids treated at the same time. He informed me that the hospital does not have what is needed sterilized in time for the hemmorroid procedure. I was already on the operating room table when he told me this.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2015

Horrible staff / admin - that's all I have to say. They know how good they are at their work. No need for me to point it out. I am very disappointed at such in-experienced admin staff that was hired to work there.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2013

VERY knowledgeable doctor and willing to spend a lot of time with you to explain every detail of surgery with you; doesn't rush you out for his next patient. has an answer for every question you have and very nice/kind! one of the best doctors i've had :) his admin. staff/secretary: i personally don't have a problem with her, i thought she was very nice. she does things VERY fast and efficiently, which i like. i hate it when admin staff take their precious time to process your files. she is very straight forward, everytime you come, bring a healthcard and translator (if can't speak english). i have seen some patients who came WITHOUT a translator and requested to see the doctor and then tells you upfront to go home/doctor won't see you and some patients think they can bend the rules. i think thats the root of many of the problems/issues with her. but from my point of view, rules are rules and they are there for a reason! i never had a problem with her!

flag | Submitted August 10, 2012

Dr. Chan is a very nice gentleman. He arranged a very fast surgery for my father and surgery was very successful. I am so glad to have Dr. Chan to take care of my father. Many mank thanks to Dr. Chan!

flag | Submitted July 19, 2012