Ratings for Dr. Walter William Immel

I typically don't write negative reviews but having read another persons review, which was exactly the same issue, I chose to help out by contributing my experience. Basically aspirated during colonoscopy. Upon waking, massive sore throat. Brought this to Dr. Immel's attention immediately upon awakening, as my throat felt like it had been sanded. Dr. Immel's seemed defensive and kind of gaffed off the complaint. Coughed mucous frequently remainder of day. Called The on-call physician and described situation and symptoms and was told I should go immediately to ER as it sounded like I had aspirated during procedure and pneumonia could be a concern. Went to ER and they suggested I may have aspirated during procedure. I was released and went home and basically suffered through next two days of extremely sore throat and diminishing cough. I am very skeptical about returning even though I've had 3 prior colonoscopies there with no incidents. I don't take kindly to being in that much misery and being ignored. And, now I'm seeing where somebody else has had the same experience.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2016

Saw Dr. Immel and his team for a colonoscopy. During the procedure and while under anesthesia, I aspirated mucus. Felt awful and was coughing like crazy after waking. Nobody in the office showed any concern and sent me home. Returned home, feeling horrible with no energy and no appetite. I spiked a fever and called the doctor's office and asked for the doctor to call me back... nothing. Called again and he did return that call and seem puzzled with my condition. "You were fine when you left the office" he said. "No, I wasn't" and I explained. He called the anesthesiologist to consult and then called me back. "You must have aspirated." Yes, I knew that. "Take some Advil and let's see how you are tomorrow." Still felt a bit rough the next day but much improved. I consider this experience to be horrible as the doctor's staff should have provided better care. The anesthesiologist should have been more engaged in my condition during the procedure and, perhaps, even administered some type of antihistamine to prevent such a mishap. Really poor care and a massive lack of attention -- definitely not returning to Dr. Immel.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2016

Dr. immel is a baseline incompetent , his staff is worse.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2015

I got 3 small polyps removed from Dr Immel the first time. Came back and saw him 2 years later and removed one new one. I recently took my wife there for colonoscopy and found a small egg size polyp. Dr Immel took a piece out and sent to biopsy. The biopsy showed some pre-cancerous cell in some area only. Dr Immel recommended us to see a colon surgeon. Of course when we came to see colon surgeon, all they want to do is to cut 1 foot of your colon along with the lymph nodes. It is consider major surgery that you want to avoid as possible. I searched and found many doctors in our area such as John Hopkins can removed big difficult polyp via EMR method but it required the doctor who has this skill and procedure needs to be done at hospital that has these special equipment. Lucky I got the second opinion from another GI doctor that referred me to Dr Firas Al-Kawas from John Hopkins. Only took him 20 mins to removed the egg size polyp. Thanks god that I seek second opinion or else my wife would loose part of her colon for nothing. Also Dr Immel doesn't take picture of your polyps to show you while other GI doctors they often do....

flag | Submitted February 7, 2015

Dr. Immel is a very good doctor and very knowledgeable. However, the nursing staff sucks. My husband had a CAT scan done. He called the dr. office the next week for the result. Did not get to talk to a live person, left a message. A nurse did not call back until the next day. She read the X-ray result but was not sure. She told my husband that she would put the file on Dr. Immel's desk for the doctor to call him. No call for days. My husband repeatedly called and left messages. I ended up calling the last time threaten to report them to VA medical board. They just called back after 6 hours...

flag | Submitted June 13, 2014

I have been going to Dr. Immel for approximately 25 years. He is an excellent internist as well as gastroenterologist. He takes time with you, and you feel he is genuinely interested. I have sent a number of friends and family members to him and they feel the same way I do about him. He s excellent.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2013

Dr. Immel is not just a good GI doctor-he looks at the whole body, as a good internist too.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2012

He and his staff are friendly. I recommend him. I had a smooth colonoscopy procedure.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2012

Excellent skills, both technical and patient wise. Dr. Immell diagnosed and resolved a problem for me and also was the only doctor to help my wife with a problem others were unable to determine. Recommend this doctor above all others we have utilized.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2011

I had an issue and called to get in immediately and they were actually able to fit me in that day. After which I went in for a longer procedure. The front desk was very friendly even thought they were having computer issues that day and the nurse that assisted Dr. Immal was wonderful. Felt very taken care of and Dr. Immal was very informative and caring.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2011

Dr. Walter William Immel's Credentials

• Dartmouth Medical School (Grad. 1981)

Workers Comp