Ratings for Dr. Sigurd H. Berven

I have nothing to say but good about Dr. Berven. He is not a surgery happy doctor, mom has been bent over for 9 years, she looks like she is in the sitting possition while standing and she is now standing up straight. He did T10-S1 and a cage above that. We did have an infection because a surgery in 2003 that had left a dormant cell in her. He was so good and took great care for my mom. I am so proud to say we went to him and would do it again, but we don't have to because he did a great job on mom. That man knows his stuff!

flag | Submitted November 29, 2012

Dr. Berven was unable to keep track of things. He could not pull up an x-ray on the computer. He said an x-ray did not show anything when in fact it showed a new L2 compression fx. He told a visiting physician that I had lymphoma in my spine when I did not.He thought his office had scheduled an MRI when it had not. Pain management of my L3 compression fx was inadequate. I am a licensed physician myself and expect better treatment than that.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2012

Dr. Berven performed spine fusion surgery on me. I had been to numerous doctors following a bad car accident and no one could find the problem. He listened, he was patient and inquisitive. He could tell looking at me that I was in pain and was able to rule out soft tissue injury. As surgery was a last result, he found the problem of the infection in the spine, and fixed me up. I can't say enough good about him. He got rid of the excruciating pain I was in for a year. I'm so lucky to have had him work on me. I don't know how people could not like this doctor, he knows his stuff and can definitely tell the difference between people in real pain and the people looking for attention and/or pain meds.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2011

I went to him for a second opinion and he spent the whole time ridiculing me. He clearly took it personally that I had questioned my doctor. But I hadn't even questioned my doctor I had questions that my doctor wouldn't answer (for instance having his nurse suggest scheduling a spinal surgery that he had never even discussed with me). Berven refused to answer any of my questions and instead went on a tirade about how I didn't understand anything. It's absolutely not true - he just couldn't handle a talking to a knowledgeable patient. He had to try to make me feel as humiliated as possible. I have HealthNet which is not available on the pull down menu here so the amount paid was a co-pay.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2008

A well deserved elite ortho surgeon. Best to see him in the morning hours when he is fresh. I was curious if anyone has any pro/con comments.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2007

Dr. Sigurd H. Berven's Credentials

• Harvard Medical School (Grad. 1993)