Ratings for Dr. John I. Hochman

This guy is a wack job. He didn't want to hear anything I had to say. Instead of listening and trying to help, he probed me with questions that seemed to have an underlying agenda. After a little bit of probing he asked if I had been diagnosed ADD. In all my years of dealing with psychiatrists and therapists, I have never been diagnosed ADD, and i informed him of this. Nonetheless, he printed me an ADD test and had me fill it out. It came back negative. Next, Dr. Hochman--having been fully absorbed by his own God complex--decided that could not be correct, and so he printed me another ADD test and had me rate it as if I were still in my elementary school years. His pathetic attempt to diagnose me with ADD failed miserably and yet he still wanted to prescribe me with adderall, even after I had informed him of my severe social anxiety and drug dependency issues. The guy should be sued for malpractice and for knowingly risking the wellbeing of his patients by trying to prescribe narcotics with absolutely no ethical grounds to do so. F#cker.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2017

Dr. John Ira Hochman is, bar none, the worst medical provider that I have ever visited. His eye contact is poor, and he told me that my concerns did not matter. I have never been so insulted by a medical professional, and I think his opinion of me dropped further when I mentioned that I was a non-practicing Jew, he is Orthodox. I should have seen that and walked right out the door.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2015

I have only seen Dr. Hochman twice today being the second visit and I must say I feel better off finding someone else, I came in on a high note and left on a low one like it was my fault for trying to find out why I was having anxiety or that I took my own initiative to get checked out by a neurologists he insists that i should keep taking the medicine he prescribed even though i explained I felt shortness of breath at times he suggested I took another one if I felt that I had shortness of breath, he doesn't make eye contact or seem to try and get to the root of your problems, I mentioned I only took one pill a day for my anxiety instead of both and he said "well you have enough for three weeks so i will see you in three weeks to refill your prescription, that'll be $10 for your co-pay" like really??? all you did was focus on my dui case I got months prior to me actually having anxiety and all you can suggest is to not drink and come back in three weeks??? I should of read the comments before i decided to see a psychiatrist close to my area, very cold person and no respect for his patients. Thanks Doc!

flag | Submitted June 11, 2015

Horrible doctor. Skewed/no reality due to religion. Bad temper.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2014

I should have trusted the comments on this and numerous other sites regarding Dr. Hochman. He is unquestionably cold and aloof, and at times, rude. I currently suffer from a mild form of depression that requires antidepressants, which the doctor did prescribe. But sometimes, you know, it's nice to talk to someone, especially a person who is trained to deal with people in my situation. Dr. Hochman offers no comfort or sincerity. Most of the time as I babble on and on about my problems, he keeps his eyes firmly planted on his computer (I assume he was looking at my records and not the internet or emails, etc. However, shouldn't a doctor have a look at a patient's file PRIOR to an appointment???) When he finally did offer up advice, it was in a most dismissive tone that bordered on annoyance. "All I can do is prescribe some more meds," he said in a very irritated sigh. And with that he got up from his chair and walked into reception, signaling an end to our session even though I was barely there ten minutes. The purpose of me submitting this review of Dr. Hochman is because I am very angry at the way he treated me, especially at a time when I very much need help. Instead, it was as if I was speaking to someone who can't stand whiny people. I have no doubt that Dr. Hochman will continue his decade-long career as a psychiatrist, but maybe mine and other people's comments about him will make regular folks like me think twice about wasting his or her time and money.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2014

I'm very disappointed for several reasons. First off, he does not seem to care about his patients because he made me wait 40 min and when he did see me, it was very rushed and he quickly prescribed some medication that hasn't helped me at all. He did not bother caring about how I was doing on another medication that he had previously prescribed, he just wanted to get me out of his office so he could meet with another patient that was waiting because he was running late. It was exceptionally rude considering that I was on time and desperately need help and have not been feeling well. He's pretty smart but he's just not good at treating patients with respect and giving them help. One time I called him with a serious question about the medication, he put me on hold, then said "it's not a big deal" then hangs up. He looks up stuff on blogs!!! and uses that as a means to diagnose. I've meet with him several times and it's better if I find someone else.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2014

In December of 2012, Dr. John Hochman was hired by NMR (Network Medical Review) to make me an evaluation for Long Term Disability (LTD) benefits for Sedgwick (Insurance Co). My claim was denied, I made an appeal, and the claim was overturned and approved.I felt the medical evaluation conducted by Dr. Hochman was unusual, hostile and inappropriate.I believe he downplay my level of illness and right from the start,I got the impression I did not stand a chance to validly express my symptoms.He did not give me any clinical examination with positive tests to produce an objective medical evidence and he made false, misleading,and contradicting statements in a written psychological examination report to NMR.This so called Dr,seem to be a law unto himself with no regard to consequence to others health and mental stability producing false declarations.Dr Hochman does not perform at the standard of care expected of an evaluator in California .

flag | Submitted April 22, 2013

Not only is he rude and cold, but his practices are reckless and frankly, I can't believe he still has a license. I saw him for depression symptoms, after filling out aquestionnaire, he prescribed ADD meds and nothing for depression. My depression grew worse and was later hospitalized. After being discharged I made an appointment for after-care. During our 10min meeting, he told me that I should go back to the hospital. Strange, he was never available to consult with my doctors at the hospital, never reviewed my charts,never went over any of the discharge paperwork.He said he couldn't help me and I left with no referral, but he made sure to charge the $300 for the visit. Luckily, I found another fantastic doctor who's prognosis was completely different, go figure. Found out ADD meds can actually make depression worse. I consider it a blessing that Dr. Hochman "couldn't help" me because God only knows what would have happened had I continued his treatment.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2012

terribly unprofessional doctor. during session made no eye contact except with watch, has a dirty disorganized office. office assistant was unable to locate my files and needed to contact me a week later for my assistance at which point i attempted to make another appointment to see the doctor. after giving me a time to come in the doctor called, seeming to not know we had an appointment or who i was (!) then promptly hung up on me. the only reason i attempted to make a second appointment was out of immediate concern with a medication that had become an emergency situation. when i redialed him he told that he couldn't help me, provided no reference and told me he had emergencies of his own. atrocious and dangerous misconduct.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2012

Doctor was adament that my problem was not what my previous Psychiatrist had diagnosed after speaking to me for an hour. Was unfamilier with and did not perscribe to his patients the medication I was currently taking (Lamictal). After explaining to him that my med's had been life changing he still was adament that my problem was something other than what I had been treated for. Receptionist was pushy and acted disheveled.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2006

Dr. John I. Hochman's Credentials

• New York Univ Sch Of Med, New York Ny 10016 (Grad. 1969)

Veterans Administration