Ratings for Dr. Cynthia Spellman

Excellent. Carijng. Compassionate. Thorough. Used all 55-minutes helping me.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2012

Unfortunately, Aetna PPO only repays $104 of the $200 per session charged by this psychiatrist. Aetna states that $104 is the "going rate for this geographical area." Also, this psychiatrist took one whole session (which I paid for) analyzing how hurt she was about a brief text I sent when she texted me asking when our next appointment was. I wrote something like "next wed." And she spent 60 minutes telling me how aghast she was. Why is she texting instead of checking her calendar anyway? Most people wouldn't even respond. Multiple times, she took texts or even calls during my appointment from patients "in need." But on my last appointment ever, the day before I was to have major surgery, I needed to use the bathroom, was locked out of her office. She didn't open her office until 20 minutes after my appointment. I had left to go find a bathroom.  She hadn't even noticed my texts asking to be let in to use her bathroom.   Her insistence on patients paying for a minimum of 4 sessions at a time is a grievous burden. Most people cannot manage $800 at a time. She continually mentioned she thought I was well-off and couldn't I just "stop working." I could tell she had no idea who I was and what my situation was. She is a "truther" and goes on tangents about the government and how big brother is watching and that the Newtown shooting and the Boston Marathon bombing were staged and actors played the roles. The biggest problem for me was that after going to her for almost two years, I never learned any tools to handle my issue.  We never discussed techniques, approaches, etc. She would just repeat back to me whatever I said, in question form. I think she is a kind person but ineffective, at least for me anyway. I was hurt by her leaving me out in the cold 20 minutes past my appointment, in need of a bathroom, having come straight from work. I was exhausted.  It was the final straw. But the 2 times she charged my credit card without my permission really threw me over the edge. The first time, I changed from once a week to twice a week, she told me weeks later she had charged me the $100 difference for the rate, without my permission. After leaving me out in the cold 20 minutes past my appointment time, she charged my checkcard she kept on file.  This was so scary to me that I stopped all my credit cards, unsure who had done what. When I found out it was she, I felt very betrayed. I could go on and on, but this was my experience. I wish her future patients better luck.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2017

Dr. Cynthia Spellman

Dr. Cynthia Spellman's response
I do not know who this person is but doubt it is a real patient because such a scenario has never happened. This same fictional "review" was posted under different fictional names on several websites today. I would invite the person who posted this "review" to 4 different websites today to call me at 518-951-8582 to tell me their true identity and discuss whatever is motivating them to take such action.

Submitted May 24, 2017

Excellent, thorough, considered all of my medical conditions.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2012

The best psychiatrist, totally focused on helping me and my well-being. I need confidentiality and her approach guarantees me total privacy. She is very considerate and truly an expert.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2011

Dr. Cynthia Spellman's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Albany psychiatrist Cynthia Spellman MD offers a gentle, supportive & very private way to make things right again. Dr. Spellman blends the best of conventional and holistic care with total privacy. She treats you as a whole person and not a diagnoses, even though she has a lot of experience treating people who have various diagnoses such as depression, anxiety, panic disorder, bipolar disorder, PTSD, and OCD. Many people come to her just for ordinary life stress. They know that the extra privacy she provides will safeguard their personal information. Dr. Spellman really cares. She is glad to collaborate with your other providers if you wish and to clarify any medical issues that may be interfering with your emotional well-being. She is very reachable by phone or by text when you need her. Much more than your typical 15-minute med-check, Dr. Spellman offers 45-minute sessions which give you the leisure to unpack your emotions so that you can mange them in a positive way. She provides a Mindfulness-Informed psychotherapy known as "Focusing" as well as very specialized services including pharmacogenetics testing to help you find the medication that has the best chance of working with the least side effects.

• English