Ratings for Dr. Joseph Mauro

Most horrific experience of my life!! Dr. Mauro has the worst bedside manner I've ever come across in my life! Tried contacting him the night after my surgery to ask about taking a stronger med and was told all I could do was alternate my Norco with Motrin. I cannot take any NSAID due to stomach and ulcer issues, which I explained to Dr. Mauro, and he in turn told me that I was going to have to just 'deal with my pain then' because "that is my only suggestion" was his response. I ended up going to the ER my pain was so out of control and off the charts to try and gain control of it. Before I even began to have my procedure done, after I was in the chair and all numbed up and ready to go......they drop a bomb on me and tell me Oh by the way we have to do this thing called a bone graph if you want to have your implant put in down the road in 4 months and it's going to cost you another $255.....AFTER I ALREADY HAD PAID EVERYTHING I WAS SUPPOSED TO!! Then tells me I don't have to do it RIGHT now, I can wait and do it later on but it will end up costing me $1200 if I choose that option. Terrible Dr. with terrible bedside manner who always seemed annoyed when I called with questions or concerns that I had and didn't want to give me more medicine to help me with my pain! I will NOT be going back for my implant, if I can even have one if he even did a good enough job, and I have been telling ALL of my friends and family about this horrific experience!!!!!!!!! This guy should NOT be in business........

flag | Submitted April 4, 2016

Dr. Mauro and his staff were exceptional! They were very kind and very helpful. The staff always had answers to my questions. Reguardless how many times I called, they were very polite and never seem to get frustrated with me calling. The first time I saw Dr. Mauro he was very nice, very informative , very professional. He explained what my problem was, the options I had, then gave me the opportunity to make the choice. My surgery was done at sparrow outpatient surgery. That was also an exceptional experience. There is not one negative thing that I can say, I will use Dr. Mauro and his staff anytime in the future that I am in need of an oral surgeon. I highly recommend Dr. Mauro and his staff. I received excellent care. Nancy E.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2016

I just had an appointment with Dr. Mauro about 12 hours ago. I found him to be very comforting when he was giving me the ice sedation. Staff was also nice. The only thing bothering me besides the pain from the surgery was that they did not tell me what to expect afterwards. I would still recommend Dr. Mauro over any other surgeon.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2015

I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth that have been trying to come in for 10 years. My dentist kept referring me to get them out but I was terrified and so I kept putting it off. Eventually, I decided it was better to get it over with than continue having issues every few months. I called to set up an appointment with Dr. Mauro (I found him through my insurance) and the lady who answered the phone seemed nice enough. I though it was weird that she wanted to schedule me for my consultation and surgery back to back but I went with it. She had an opening that same week and a couple more in the following weeks. I was still nervous so I put it off about 2 weeks. FF Day of appointment, I get there and realize they have a dog in the office which through me completely off. The front desk staff seemed pretty nice and got me all set up with papers. I asked if they had gotten any records from my dentist and they said no... I thought that was weird but I don't know if it's even necessary. I was called back to do my panoramic x-Ray and was immediately whisked away into a room to be prepared for surgery. Now, I had done my research on Dr. Mauro and knew that he had been called "rude" and "abrasive" so I was prepared to kind of proceed with caution. I was really nervous and I know I can get on Drs nerves with all of my questions. He came into the room to go over the x-Ray and explained that I only had 2 wisdoms on the bottom (I knew that and thank goodness) and that they were bone impacted (did not know that). I asked how long he thought It would take to get them out and he said 2min total but that he would have to drill some bone. He also explained that one was sitting right on a nerve and my chance for nerve damage was 15%. I told him I wanted lidocaine only but that I get nervous with it (makes my heart race) and he offered something called carbocain which is apparently lidocaine without the epinephrine. I declined (didn't want to try something new on such a scary day). He put me in the next room and put some numbing gel on my gums and gave me the lidocaine shots - kind of abrasively. My dentist is very gentle with this part so that was a little scary for me. I asked to listen to headphones, he said of course. He went right in and did his thing and had both teeth out in under 10 minutes. It was SO easy and pain free. By the time the lidocaine started wearing off, I could feel a stitch poking me and so when the office called to check on me, I told her and she had me come back up there so they could fix it. No problem. In conclusion, I will say that he isn't the most gentle, sympathetic, or personable guy, but he did a damn good job. He did tell me as he was finishing up that I don't have any sockets, he's stitching them up so I wouldn't have to worry about dry socket... I looked it up and it says you could still get dry sockets with stitches so I don't know... I had this procedure done about 19 hours ago and am ok. Ice on 20 min, Ice off 20 min. I'm only taking regular Tylenol for pain (my choice). I'm also taking amoxicillin to prevent infection (normally I wouldn't but again, get have a dog in the office)... So far so good but the procedure itself was a breeze!!

flag | Submitted November 23, 2015

Waited 1.5 hours in waiting room. Was told by staff he wasn't going to treat my particular problem as of next month. Dr. interviews me, X-rays were taken, oral exam performed. Then...Dr. referred me to someone else. Why was I even seen? There should have been transparency and information given to me to make my own decision on how I wanted to proceed. I lost out on 3 hours of work, and still charged a co-pay. I'm not pleased with this treatment, and will ask for my $20 co-pay to be refunded. Very disappointed.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2015

my visit with Dr Mauro was horrible. He is rude doesn't want to help. He will see u for like 5 min and then send you on your way. I have been in the worst pain in my life. cant fill my lip and chin, and have shooting pain to my lip and chin. apperently Nothing they can do about that. I had bone fragments everywhere and one that is not comeing out. Went to see if he would pull it out and he didn't even bother to look for it really. He looked in my mouth for 30 sec and said he couldn't find it. Then said it will fall out eventually. Its 16 days in with a tooth fragment still jammed into my gums. Still doesn't want to help relief my pain. I also went in to get my stitch trimmed because It was pokeing me in my check. when I got in and the doc finally seen me and I told him what was going on. the first thing out of his mouth was oh you know this is going to hurt a lot right. I didn't know freaking out your patients was part of the job but thanks. I had swollen for 20 days now and still browsing on my neck and jaw line. Im still in a lot of pain and have numbness and pain in my lip and chin for the rest of my life. went in with one problem you get 5 others and one that will never go away. That's not the first person I talked to that said they had there wisdom teeth removed in 2013 and still has pain and numbness to this day. so im screwed but if I can help someone else it will be a lil worth it. please do not go to this docter you will regret it and I pretty sure half of this comments are lies on here. That man is not nice only his dental aisistant is and front desk help is nice.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2015

My son was seen by Dr. Mauro for extraction of two wisdom teeth. His procedure was done out-patient at Sparrow hospital because of his disability. Dr. Mauro and his staff were excellent in comforting him and helping him deal with his high anxiety levels. He was very attentive and concerned about my son's comfort. I would highly recommend Dr. Mauro to family and friends for any type of oral surgery they may be facing. Dr. Mauro and his staff are amazing-very friendly and concerned with patient care. As difficult as these types of procedures are for patients, it's comforting to know that our care givers ARE really care givers. Many thanks to you, Dr. Mauro AND your wonderful staff!! Debbie & Eric Lansing, MI

flag | Submitted March 26, 2015

I was seen by Dr Mauro in his Mt Pleasant office for a cyst in the top of my mouth. It was a procedure that required my surgery to be done at sparrow hospital. Dr Mauro's office staff and practice manager helped me greatly with everything from my insurance to other appointments needed with my Medical Doctor to prepare for my hospital surgery. On Feb. 28th, 2015 Dr Mauro preformed my surgery at Sparrow and I was released a couple hours later. Dr Mauro was very informative to my family member whom was with me at the time of the surgery and was satisfied with the surgery. I felt that he was absolutely wonderful in handling my case, he was very informative, and his staff was very helpful through the whole procedure. With my previous health issues my mouth decided not to heal the way that Dr Mauro thought that it should be. In fact it was something he had never seen before. Which would be just like me to have an issue that no body had seen before. His concern and follow up has been absolutely wonderful. He is monitoring my healing greatly and is impressed with the way in which it going now. I am grateful and very impressed with Dr Mauro's professionalism and work. Him and his staff are absolutely wonderful. Dawn Midland MI

flag | Submitted March 26, 2015

flag | Submitted March 25, 2015

I highly recommend Dr Mauro if you are looking for an excellent oral surgeon that is highly skilled and caring. I am so impressed with my dental implants he put in for me as I have extreme bone loss. His staff is so friendly and run a very efficient office. I was in excellent hands at Dr Mauro's office and highly recommend him. I have worked in the medical field for over 40 years and I know quality when I see it.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2015

Dr. Joseph Mauro's Credentials

Delta Dental
MSP/BC Med

Updates

• A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Most horrific experience of my life!! Dr. Mauro has the worst bedside manner I've ever come across in my life! Tried contacting him the night after my surgery t..."

April 4, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Mauro and his staff were exceptional! They were very kind and very helpful. The staff always had answers to my questions. Reguardless how many times I calle..."

March 2, 2016
  • A new 3.2-star rating has been posted. "I just had an appointment with Dr. Mauro about 12 hours ago. I found him to be very comforting when he was giving me the ice sedation. Staff was also nice. The ..."

December 23, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth that have been trying to come in for 10 years. My dentist kept referring me to get them out but I was terrified and so I kept putt..."

November 23, 2015
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "Waited 1.5 hours in waiting room. Was told by staff he wasn't going to treat my particular problem as of next month. Dr. interviews me, X-rays were taken, oral ..."

September 1, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "my visit with Dr Mauro was horrible. He is rude doesn't want to help. He will see u for like 5 min and then send you on your way. I have been in the worst pain ..."

May 27, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "My son was seen by Dr. Mauro for extraction of two wisdom teeth. His procedure was done out-patient at Sparrow hospital because of his disability. Dr. Mauro a..."

March 26, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I was seen by Dr Mauro in his Mt Pleasant office for a cyst in the top of my mouth. It was a procedure that required my surgery to be done at sparrow hospital. ..."

March 26, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "My experience at Dr. Mauro's office was exceptional. I would recommend him to anyone."

March 25, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I highly recommend Dr Mauro if you are looking for an excellent oral surgeon that is highly skilled and caring. I am so impressed with my dental implants he pu..."

February 24, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Worst Staff and Office, more concerned about money and highly cunning with the bills they send or give. Watch out, if possible avoid to your level best"

February 21, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I saw Dr. Mauro because I need extensive work done on my teeth. I found both the Dr and his staff to be awesome. They were punctual and very willing to discus..."

November 3, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I was seen by Dr.Mauro today. I found everything about the staff and Dr to be absolutely comfortable and professional. I'd never been there before and was re..."

October 29, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "My dental hygienist discovered a tongue lesion and referred me to Dr. Mauro's office for an evaluation. I asked around town, and his reputation is impeccable a..."

October 9, 2014