Ratings for Dr. Richard Housley

I loved Dr Housley and would recommend him to everyone.He has a wonderful bedside manner and is very knowledgeable and caring.A great man with a great staff..Love him..Debra Bisson

flag | Submitted November 27, 2017

My mother didn't exactly tell me she had Cirrhosis of the liver, but all i know is she had a h3ll of a time getting help. She kept being re-admitted to the hospital, her symptoms became worse, and 3 months later we lost her. I now just got told my Dad has an appointment with him in December.. Now im scared. Would never ever recommend him even to my worst enemy.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2017

Wish I would have been this site three years ago, when my father was referred to him for severe bowel issues. He was seen by Housley once in the hospital, and was told to call his office for an appointment once my father was released. Dad followed the instructions, calling his office several times, but was told each time that the doctor made his own appointments and wasn't available to do that at that time. Unfortunately for all of us, two months later Dad was re-admitted to hospital, where he died a month later, without Dr. Housley ever having made time for the appointment he himself told my father to make with him.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2017

I first saw dr. Housley when I was admitted into the Niagara Falls hospital becauae of excruciating pain in my upper right side of my stomach. It turned out my lipase were over 10,000 I was put on a note eat no liquid diet. after MRIs, cats scans, ultrasounds I was told I had pancreatitis and had gallstones blocking my pancreas. Dr. Housley told me that he would like to take out the gallstones and my gallbladder a couple days I'm by and I never even seen him by then I was upset I was done released and told that I can be treated as an outpatient as I just had a baby a couple weeks before they told me to call dr. Housley on Friday if I didn't hear anything I called him Friday and spoke to his secretary she was very rude I might add she told me she had to talk to dr. Housley before I could make an appointment well 3 weeks go by I then get a call from the secretary saying I no longer need to see him and follow up with my family doctor. I'm still having severe pain once a week this all happen the second week of July and still ongoing. I would never recommend dr. Housley to anyone.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2017

Dr Housley is very knowledgeable. My experience was great with him it took me a while to get an appointment but I had no regrets. Will recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2017

Love Dr. Housley. Puts you at ease right away, very knowledgeable and a great doctor!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Dr. Housley has to be the most kind, compassionate and knowledgeable physician that I have met. For a specialist who had to deliver bad news to our mom, he took the time to be so caring and informative at the same time. Dr. Housely also has a wonderful staff who answers your phone calls in a manner that is most helpful. I think the whole team deserves praise for their professionalism and understanding.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

I first saw Dr. Housely in late 2012 after waiting 6 months for that appointment. My last appointment was in early 2013. I tried to see him in 2015 but was told I need a referral. If he has already seen me as a patient why should I need a further referral? I now have to see my family GP in order to get get a referral and then who knows when I will see him. I certainly will not see him again. And if I must go to Hamilton so be it, I will go.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

Refused treatment and wasted time!!! Unprofessional!!!!!!

flag | Submitted June 27, 2017

We were assigned to Dr. Housley in the Niagara hospital as my boyfriend suffered a severe case of pancreatitis and ulcerative colitis. My boyfriend was in extreme pain to the point where he could not move due to the pancreatitis, prior to this he was using the washroom 30+ times a day (UC). When sent to hospital Dr. Housley only had him on pain medication. His Lipase levels were above 5000 when he was admitted (average is 0 - 400). His lipase climbed and climbed everyday and the doctor gave him zero treatment beside the pain medication. His body had stopped working, he had not eaten or gone to the washroom in 2.5 weeks - he had lost 42 pounds, taken off his IV and even at this point, only pain meds were administered. Dr. Housley failed to visit the patient on multiple days, as well as his food/drink chart was continuously wrong, in addition, the IV was left in for 2 weeks and when my bf asked it to come out to be cleaned, they said they had no note to put it back in, therefore he was left with zero fluids and the inability to drink. Much of this is caused by the fact the Niagara hospital is the worst hospital in Ontario - however, Dr Housley's failure to treat severe pancreatitis with a combination of UC is purely negligent. He was left with no direction, no nothing for weeks in the hospital. You could over hear the nurses discuss how they hated their jobs and just wanted to go home. In addition, when asking one nurse about the pain medication being administered she responded by saying " I am a naturalist and do not believe in medication". At this point we were sick and tired of no answers, no treatment, and my boyfriend deteriorating with no food, no water, and his body unable to use the washroom (oh and the continuous pains and signs of pancreatitis. One day he woke up and his prayers were answered, all of a sudden, out of no where Dr. Housley discharged my boyfriend without even visiting him for the past 3 days. His lipase was still well over 2500 and by no means should have been discharged - no pain medication for at home, no treatment, no nothing. And to boot he was kicked to the curb as the nurse said he had "20 minutes to get out of his room". We went home that evening and the extreme pain started again, to the point where he was puking all night - calling and calling Dr. Housleys after hours service, and nothing. He did not even call us to follow up about this incident. At 3:00 am we made the decision to get help elsewhere, my boyfriend could barely sit up due to the pain - but we managed to get him to St. Joseph's hospital, where he was put on steroids immediately, and IV. Within 12 hours he was feeling 70% better, after 3 days at St. Josephs things finally turned around, since he was cared for properly. We were assigned to a new doctor and things have been amazing since. I would not refer Dr. Housley to anyone - unless they are looking to die.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2017