Ratings for Dr. David Carey

Prescribed my husband new drugs/medications - some like Duromine concerning with a cardiac history. Research demonstrated they were not suitable for a patient with cardiac issues also confirmed by our cardiologist. We felt he was only there to push drugs. Hours late. Pushed onto his other team eg dietician, sports ed etc and were charged like wounded bulls. Total waste of time and money.

Submitted September 7, 2017

Seeing Dr Carey for about seven years for diabetes. Trust him immensely but you do need to be assertive at times because he is not a god with an infallible memory for every detail of your case. Staff do seem to push allied health appointments because I think they passionately believe this will help you. Enjoy my visits and have well controlled diabetes thanks to them.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2017

Save yourself the disappointment of having an appointment with Dr Carey, he is a money hungry time waster. He spent the whole appointment going over things that I have already been diagnosed with and wasn't even there to talk about!!!

flag | Submitted April 3, 2017

I have been seeing Dr Carey for many many years and believe me I am not an easy person to please. His care has been FANTASTIC it took me a while to get used to him .He calls a spade a spade and he does expect you to play your part as well. If you are after a Dr that is going to tell you what YOU want to hear don't go there . Dr Carey tells you how it is not what you may want to hear at times but I have found him over the years to be caring ,helpful and thorough. He will give you the time you need . He is not a stupid person so don't bother trying to pull the wool over his eyes as I am pretty sure he has heard every excuse in the book. I am very happy to have him on my side . He keeps well up to date with everything that is going on in the endocrinology field I am very lucky to have him in my corner THANK YOU Dr Carey.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2017

Very robotic in his approach to weight loss. Gives all his patients the same drugs and benifits by getting frequent overseas holidays provided from the drug companies. Money seems to be his driving force not the welfare of his patients. Some of his advice is so unrealistic as he has never walked in the shoes of someone with diabetes. He can have a million degrees on his wall but he has no credibility in how obese people think. One of his common spiels is to say go and get ya head right and then come back to see me. And when you do go back to see him a few months later you get charged the huge inital consultation fee again. He'll never get another cent out of me.

Submitted February 29, 2016

Extremely professional and knowledgeable doctor who has his finger on the pulse at all times. Highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2016

Professor Carey is a specialist who I genuinely trust. He is a brilliant doctor who is honest, professional, extremely knowledgeable, succinct, confident & straight-down-the-line. He will fully expect you to meet him half-way, be pro-active & involved in your own care / management. Waiting times can be 60 minutes +. But, bear in mind, if you have questions, he will take the time with you to answer them. Understand that your fellow patients have questions / concerns that require attention, too.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2016

At first I thought Dr Carey cared about me as a person, but as time has progressed all I feel is that it's how much money he can get out of me. I don't want to see the other specialists in his office and each and every time I'm told that I MUST. I have told them time and time again I'm happy to pay more to see Dr Carey only as that's all I ever wanted BUT each time they will call me and tell me that Dr Carey has insisted I have to have a stress test OR I have to see the sports physician OR dietitian. It's actually ridiculous. The cost is horrendous and there's no consideration for time, I do work and have to take time off every visit. Very annoying, I'm actually going to be referred to a different endocrinologist as all I want is to have my hypothyroid checked and managed. That's it......

flag | Submitted January 4, 2016

I wasn't happy from day one, even though I had been a previous patient. He really didn't seem that interested in my recent medical history, which is significant, and was concerned only with the numbers and weight loss. I ended up having a reaction to some of the medication which he blamed on me and implied a diagnosis he was not qualified to make. I have been left with significant side affects from this medication and consequent specialist consultations have informed me that any diagnosis he made in that area were incorrect. He is not someone you can develop a relationship with and you are pressured by the staff to undertake the other 'services' provided. A vastly different experience than my first time and I will avoid any further recommendations to see him in the future.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2015

I started seeing Dr Carey mid 2014 for my weight management. The reason I wanted to see Dr Carey was because I was always depressed about my weight. There was times i did not want to get up in the morning because i was embarrassed if someone i knew saw me at my heaviest weight. I always woke up in the angriest mood because of what i did throughout the night... which was closet eating!! Yes i would get up every single night and search the cupboards for food i never wanted my parents/boyfriend to see me eating. Examples of these foods would be spoonfuls and spoonfuls of peanut butter, chocolates, lollies, muesli bars, cereal and dinners my parents cooked that i "did not" want to eat... but i really did want to eat it! As soon as i jumped on the scales every morning the number just seemed to increase and increase and INCREASE!!! After gaining just 7kgs over 2-3months i knew i could not live like this for much more longer. I then decided to get a referral from my GP and get referred to Professor Carey. Every consult i had with Dr Carey i left his room with SO MUCH knowledge and so much more confident every time i was losing cm's and kg's! As for his staff..... they were fantastic! There all such down to earth people. Im not usually one to feel comfortable hoping on the scales in front of people I've never met before, but the staff at HDC made me feel just as comfortable as i did in Dr Careys room at every visit. I have now lost of total of 16kgs. My goal is to lose a total of 20kgs. I would highly recommend seeing Dr Carey if you are currently struggling with weightloss or even if you feeling a little down or depressed because you know your KG's are creeping up but your avoiding to do anything about it! From experience do not leave it to the last minute! DO something about it before you reach your highest weight or you are doing exactly what i was doing.... CLOSET EATING!!!!

flag | Submitted January 21, 2015