Ratings for Dr. Gerald M. Abraham

I've had about a dozen appointments with this guy. I went to him because I got baker acted a year ago as a result of drug induced psychosis. I've been sober and haven't experienced any symptoms for about a year. I asked him if he could put in writing that I was recovered, and healthy, so that I could legally own a firearm in 5 years. He said not in a million years. Guess I have no 2nd amendment rights, might as well be a felon.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2017

Dr. Abraham is unsuitable and therefore unlikely to promote success or well-being. I've been going to him for 6 months and he still doesn't know who I am. His appointments are >3 minutes, which some might consider a good thing. However, every other Dr. I've seen actually took their time and talked to me, upwards of 30 min, and offered insight into what was going on with my brain and how certain drugs would help my neurochemistry, and what changes in lifestyle and activity might help my condition. The only words spoken during Dr. Abraham's appointments are "what meds do you need" and even then he wasn't willing to prescribe what I had been on with my previous Dr. so he's not even good for that. He's not knowledgeable about medications, either. I knew things he didn't know from a simple google search. He's also clueless about homeopathic remedies like kratom, and the like. He offers no personal touch, and generally seems like he doesn't care about anything but money. (which I'm pretty sure he was overcharging my copay, anyway. after reading the other reviews I might check into my insurance billings, too.) P.S. He has no receptionist, no waiting room, and might forget to write your 'scheduled' apt in his journal, so be prepared to show him proof of your apt. for that reason ask for a card w. the date/time & keep it in your wallet. Lastly, he charges 75$!?!?! if you miss an apt.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2017

Again, he is billing my insurance for visits that never happened. He is rude, gruff, and truely doesn't care about his patients well being. I've put up with him for 8 years now. No more...I'm moving on. He is not helpful, or even that knowledgeable about meds. Twice I've taken my perscriptions to the pharmacy and there is no such dose on these medications. I had to reschedual, giving him 36 hours notice, he still billed my insurance and was paid! Now he wants me to give him $80 cash for the missed appointment. I could go on and on about this abusive jerk.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2014

flag | Submitted February 14, 2013

Doctor Abraham is a brusque, gruff and sarcastic man. He's also a genius. If you need a pushover who will let you dish about all the awful things mommy and daddy did to you, go see someone else. If you want to get better, go see Doctor Abraham. He advocates Gestalt therapy in the tradition of Fritz Perls. The man knows people. What he's trying to get across to his patients is that hiding your feelings and being nice all the time will lead you to misery. Be authentic, feel your feelings, follow your instincts and life becomes a new experience. I had some appointments that lasted 10 minutes because we didn't talk everything to death. Be ready to get in touch with some deep dark feelings right away. OH and he really is a genius. He got the top score in New York State on some physics test in high school and ended up going to Duke Med. If he likes you he softens up a little, but not much. I saw him in 2002/2003 and all I can say is my life is a million times better mainly because of him.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2012

Yes he is rude, and a germaphobe, He admits to "hating people." He doesn't believe in talk therapy, and doesn't like that I see a counselor. He has also billed my insurance for 2 visits I didn't go to.I have called BC/BS to let them know. On the other hand, he is brilliant with meds. He has had me stable for 6 years. He's not afraid to prescribe the meds I need, unlike other Psyc's. It's a love hate relationship with him. He hates fat people, and says he judges people by their shoes! lol

flag | Submitted April 24, 2012

Yes he is a germaphobe, and my first visit he was jaundiced yellow, so perhaps he has a reason for not shaking hands. Yes he was abrupt. I had just been dxed with fibro and had specific drugs I wanted him to RX, which he did. 5 months later I suddenly came out of my fatigue and depression, caused by exhausion fibro sleep disorder, which he had prescribed the special fibro sleeping anti-depressant like I initially asked for. We started off just like the other posters, but I stuck it out and he turned out to be fantastic doctor, helping me out when another doctor found me "somatic", making up my pain in my head (I have confirmed RA) and he wrote a blistering response. I love him and think he is a fine psychiatrist and doctor compared to the clown car doctors in this hell hole of medicine.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2010

The first reviewer nailed it. Dr. Abraham was angry from the moment I walked in. He refused to shake my hand because he was afraid of germs. He spoke with me for about 10 minutes, didn't listen to what I said and then told me he "knew my type of person." He said there was nothing he could do for me because I didn't need meds and he doesn't believe in therapy and whining about your mother. He's about 110 years old and clearly 30 years past retirement. He has no staff and has problems returning phone calls.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2008

He's obnoxious, anorexic, OCD riddled and a germaphobe. Other than he I guess he is ok.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2008

First of all, this doctor came into the waiting room, where other patients were also waiting, and began asking me questions about any drug allergies I have. (Confidentiality, anyone?) The walls in his office (an apt. bldg. converted to office space) were so thin, I could hear every single word said by the patient ahead of me, though I tried to read a magazine and ignore this. When I went into his office, he quizzed me for a few minutes on other medications and treatments I have tried, before asking me what it is I thought he could do for me. He told me seeing a psychiatrist would be a waste of my time and money, because if all that I had tried previously didn't work, then probably nothing ever would. I would be better spending my money on therapy. He was quite abrupt and rude. He then gave me an Rx for Ativan to help me sleep. I left and cried the entire way home, feeling both embarrassed and that I was a completely hopeless case. It took me a long time to get over this visit.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2007

Dr. Gerald M. Abraham's Credentials

• Duke Univ Sch Of Med, Durham Nc 27710 (Grad. 1971)