Ratings for Dr. Stephen W Welden

Hello all my Florida IVF ladies!! I was hoping to help some of you out, and save you the pain, time and money itbwas cheated out of. I live in Lutz, Fl right outside if Tampa. I had a horrible experience with Dr. Stephen Welden. Did 2 IUIS with this man, one medicated with gonal. I was never put on progesterone with the gonal IUI, which I later was told I should have been. Went on to IVF at this same clinic. Nurse Tina McCoy missed my vein EVERY SINGLE TIME I went for a blood test, usually having to stick me 2 or 3 times. During my retrieval she actually went right thru my vein and caused me to bleed all over the table. 26 eggs were retrieved. Dr said all looked good, asked if we wanted to freeze. Of course we did, so we paid the extra money for that. 2 eggs were fertilized and transferred. 4 days after my transfer I woke up and had blood. I naturally freaked out and called my Nurse immediately. She tried to him and haw and say they couldn't get me in, they were too packed. After I screamed and told her that was absolutely unacceptable, she agreed to fit me in. She drew blood, missed my vein 2 times again, and finally put me in the room to wait for the dr. He walks into my room, looks me dead in the eye, and says " what did you do to mess up all my work?" I bit my tongue, let him check me ( blood was from a scrape on my cervix) and went on my way. Went back 6 days later for my beta. Got the call the next day, my beta was at 16. They were concerned it was so low, did a second the n2xt day, I was having a chemical. Scheduled an appointment for a few days later to talk about FET. I was still very positive, with s 24 eggs left over, I knew things would work out. Go to my appt, bring up the fact that I hear FET are usually as good or better than fresh. He says " well, yes, thays when fertilized eggs ( embryos) or frozen. But we didn't freeze embryos, we only froze your eggs" Turned out that for "ethical reasons" he stopped freezing fertilized embryos 2 years ago, and they had not perfected the method of freezing, so he had not had one successful frozen transfer in the last 2 years. I was crushed. He took my money, destroyed my 24 beautiful eggs and left me broken. I want to use every platform I can to warn as many people as I can. I would hate for another person to get cheated like I did.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2018

Dr Welden is great but the staff will never return phone calls

flag | Submitted March 5, 2018

He was recommended by a friend. I filed my insurance claims multiple times, and asked billing or whatever her name was for an update . I tried my best to assist and get it filed properly, however it never happened. The wait was horrible . I work about 1 hour away and had to cut my work day in half to travel. It was so stressful to ask time off, because I would get pressure from my employer. To top of this experience,, my last day in there he decided to come out to the waiting room and start our visit. Yes, folks he was consulting with my in the waiting room where people were going in and out. He dropped a medical bomb on me and I couldn't exactly express my feelings or ask personal questions about my health, because there were patients coming in. It was awkward , disappointing, and humiliating. He needs to retire, He is too old , Times have changed I'm surprised he doesn't have a lawsuit. I wish I never wasted my time and money at this office. I ended up with Dr Sandy Goodman. Completely different and positive experience.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2017

Not sure what happened to the previous staff but Dr. Welden should try and get them back! The two that are there now are awful.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2015

Very knowledgeable, kind and soft-spoken. Explained in detail all about my concerns and made me feel much much better.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2015

I have a 4 year old son I conceived with IVF at Dr Weldens practice. He is a wonderful, kind, compassionate , smart physician and I would recommend ANYONE with fertility issues to see him. He listened to me and partnered with a recurrent loss specialist over the phone that I asked him to work with. He is not an egomaniac and he is incredibly reasonable. If I were younger I'd have 2 more with his office. My IVF nurse Pam, was fantastic. Highly recommend Dr. Welden. I experienced a man who truly loves what he does and does his work with passion and for that love, not the money. He is a God send.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2015

The most unprofessional, terrible experience I've ever had with a doctor. I felt so uncomfortable with my exam, that I left the office in tears afterwards. Dr. Welden was recommended by a co-worker, and given the sensitive nature of my medical issues, I was expecting so much more. Would not recommend to anyone.

Submitted February 23, 2015

Dr. Stephen Welden is the best Doctor I have ever met. His professionalism, and knowledge, compassion and caring for his patients allow me to highly recommend him. I would'nt go to any other Gynecologyst while he is practicing in the medical field

flag | Submitted December 5, 2014

Dr. Welden is incredibly kind and compassionate and has great bedside manner. Jamie, his nurse, is a God-send. She is equally as compassionate, has a sense of humor, and makes it a point to get to know her patients on somewhat of a personal level so as not to dread coming as frequently as IF patients need to. The desk/admin staff could really use a crash course in interactions with patients; i.e. return phone calls, follow through on insurance authorizations, call patient with schedule changes, be patient and don't be condescending (AKA, add some humanity to the experience). It's a good thing Dr. Welden and Jamie are as wonderful as they are to balance out the negative experience offered by the front half of the office, otherwise some would likely not return.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2014

Went to the Florida Fertility Clinic earlier. Nurse practitioner probed me painfully and stuck me with a fat bill for nurse's consult. Was unsuccessful and told to return the following week which I refused. Went to Dr Welden instead and he saved my life. Found out that I had ovarian cancer. Dr Welden arranged for me to see an oncologist while I was out of the country. Returned and went straight to the oncologist. Dr Welden's diagnosis was right on the money. Because of his experience and skill he was able to detect it right away while the Florida Fertility was not able to do so. Per Dr Welden my pelvic mass was so tender and big there was no way that I could be probed. He immediately took a biopsy with no pain at all and right away detected the cancer. Because it was detected in the early stage I am now in good care. I thank him for saving my life. Great doctor, great staff. No complaints. Would highly recommend anyone needing a gynaecologist.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2014

Dr. Stephen W Welden's Credentials

• Univ Of Tn, Memphis, Coll Of Med, Memphis Tn 38163 (Grad. 1975)

HealthPartners