Ratings for Dr. Derek Godinho

Dr. Godinho must have skipped class the day in med school when the students were taught about bedside manner, given that his is so exceedingly pathetic. Having said that however, I think he is probably reasonably competent at his craft. I simply can't figure out if he is a pompous jerk or is sorely and genuinely lacking in social skills. His front office staff is typically very ignorant and down right rude to those poor souls who appear at the intake desk.

Submitted September 5, 2017

This Doctor cares about money, not people. My mother was referred here (I have a background as an Ophthalmic Technician but live in a different city so my mother wasn't able to come to my office) , and making appointments here is shocking. Of the 4 testings my mother required for her cataract consult, they expected us to come in on four different days. This is just silliness. The only reason they do this is so they can charge MSP 100% for each test. If they let you come in and do two tests on the same day, Dr. Godinho would only get to charge 100% for the first testing, and then he only would get 50% from MSP for each additional testing. At offices I have worked at, we let people do two testings a day. And if someone really wants to get all three testings done one one day, they just pay a small fee of $25. My mother is retired so she is lucky she can make it to four different appointments an four different days. But people who work, you expect them to take four days off work for testing that takes minutes? Dr. Godinho obviously is thinking about his wallet, not his patients. Wait times are so so so long and the front desk staff is useless

flag | Submitted July 25, 2017

I have nothing but good things to say about Eyewest Vision, their incredible staff & the GREAT Opthamological Genius, Lenticular master and Intraocular Gladiator, Dr. Godinho. I'm a 36 year old male and recently I was referred to this clinic for an advanced, trauma related cataract from an old injury. Not only was this a complicated procedure due to a previous retinal detachment, but this process required an experienced ophthalmologist and retinal specialist to take it on. I was taken in right away by Dr. Godinho and given the most amazing care I've ever had. Not only did he restore my precious gift of eyesight, but this doctor is skillful, brilliant and a true master in this field. In other words, he's amazing at what he does, period. Not only did I find Dr. Godinho to be friendly and to-the-point, but he answered all my questions in detail, was very patient and told me exactly what to expect. On the day of my surgery I knew I was in extremely good hands and didn't feel any pain, nor did I see anything out of the ordinary. I only saw an array of colors and heard him and his amazing team working above me. The end results were well worth it and now it feels like I'm seeing everything in high-definition, 3D, ultra-vivid color. Life is incredible when seen through two eyes, as nature comes alive in a vivacious kaleidoscope of colors. Nothing is more beautiful than seeing the first sunrise for the first time with a new lens. I can now look at the light shinning through the treetops of the forest without a cloudy blur or distortion caused by my former cataract. In my travels around the world, I've stood before blurry yet magnificent edifices, such as Stonehenge in England, the Acropolis in Greece and the Great Pyramid in Egypt; all which stand as great and timeless sermons in stone. Now in my future visits these things will appear to me as they were intended in all their geometrical beauty and brilliance. I am forever grateful to Dr. Godinho and his AMAZING staff at the Eyewest Vision clinic. I wish for them many years of success and happiness. If you are lucky to get this amazing doctor as your ophthalmologist, do it and you won't be disappointed!

flag | Submitted May 24, 2017

This place is a factory. To milk the health care system they make you book separate appointments for every test. Rather than being able to book 2 or 3 of the 5 required pre-cataract appointments at the same time, be prepared to take time off work 5 different times to attend these appointments (some of which only take a few minutes). Also be prepare to wait hours to see Dr. Godhino, who arrives at his convenience and despite being an hour late, doesn't have the basic courtesy to apologize for his tardiness. Also be prepared to face additional, unexplained charges for tests that you didn't know were not covered by BC health care. It should be no surprise that the front desk staff are dismissive, given the factory environment they have to work in. Unless you have nothing better to do with your time and don't mind being treated like cattle, find another ophthalmologist who actually cares about his or her patients.

Submitted April 17, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr Godinho's for a number of years, and would like to take time out of my day to say thank you to such an amazing office, and Doctor! Unlike most other medical facilities where to many- you are just a number, the staff along with Dr. Godinho really go above and beyond! Every time I step out of the elevator I am greeted by the lovely front desk staff who know me by name, the technicians are very punctual, and informative and if I have any questions or concerns they will gladly take the time to explain everything to me. The only flaw I have encountered in regards to technicians is a technician named Aiiza, whom always had a permanent frown on her face, and looked like the only reason she got out of bed every morning was for a cheque, but as of recently I have not seen her there, which is a relief in regards to technicians. Dr. Godinho is a real wealth of knowledge, and his reputation sure validates that! As for the two negative comments below I must say I am completely shocked and disagree because that is the furthest from the truth from in regards to my visits at this lovely facility. Would highly recommend to anyone! Thanks Eyewest!

flag | Submitted February 22, 2017

We find the front desk very rude and uncooperative in your attempts to get an appointment. It does not seem to matter to them that it is imperative to see the doctor or not. You cannot talk to the doctor or get a message to him in extreme cases. If you ever have to cancel do not for you are no longer on his list even though you may have been seeing him for years. There is something terribly lacking in this office like compassion. The doctor says little to you in the examining room and you go home wondering if you are going blind and what the prognosis is. Sight is so important to many and is i treated like who cares .... next., We know of no other office who treat patients with such disinterest. Dr Godinho do something about your front staff please

flag | Submitted February 21, 2017

Dr Godinho is very knowledgable and his practice very busy. He finds time to address concerns with a caring attitude. He was highly recommended to me and he didn't disappoint. Thank you Dr Godinho and staff.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

This doctor has the worst bedside manner I've experienced, anywhere. Impatient, aggressive and could give a darn about your feelings or pain.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2016

I never met the Dr. Godinho until after several appointments at his office just before surgery for cataract. He was bordering on rude and not very friendly. I got the impression their interest was financial. When the government started to pay for soft lenses, he immediately jumped his charge by the previous amount he was able to charge. Additionally, he said I had to be at the LG Hospital @ 9:30 AM, but did not take me in until 3:30 in the afternoon. Then they immediately tried to book me for operation on my 2nd eye. I didn't think I needed that operation, and that has been confirmed by my current ophthalmologist.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2015

A huge thank you to Dr. Godinho and the great staff at his clinic for taking care of both of my parents cataract surgeries. I was nervous about the process especially because I am their main care giver. Dr. Godinho came highly recommended as a skilled surgeon and now I know why. Both of my parents surgical outcomes are amazing(both now seeing great distances without glasses!). His office is efficient, modern, clean and the staff are very friendly, knowledgeable and reassuring. We almost miss going in for our appointments! I experience wait times in all doctors appointments and found this routine(the only less than positive thing I can say about our experience.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2014