Ratings for Dr. Derek Godinho

This place is a factory. To milk the health care system they make you book separate appointments for every test. Rather than being able to book 2 or 3 of the 5 required pre-cataract appointments at the same time, be prepared to take time off work 5 different times to attend these appointments (some of which only take a few minutes). Also be prepare to wait hours to see Dr. Godhino, who arrives at his convenience and despite being an hour late, doesn't have the basic courtesy to apologize for his tardiness. Also be prepared to face additional, unexplained charges for tests that you didn't know were not covered by BC health care. It should be no surprise that the front desk staff are dismissive, given the factory environment they have to work in. Unless you have nothing better to do with your time and don't mind being treated like cattle, find another ophthalmologist who actually cares about his or her patients.

Submitted April 17, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr Godinho's for a number of years, and would like to take time out of my day to say thank you to such an amazing office, and Doctor! Unlike most other medical facilities where to many- you are just a number, the staff along with Dr. Godinho really go above and beyond! Every time I step out of the elevator I am greeted by the lovely front desk staff who know me by name, the technicians are very punctual, and informative and if I have any questions or concerns they will gladly take the time to explain everything to me. The only flaw I have encountered in regards to technicians is a technician named Aiiza, whom always had a permanent frown on her face, and looked like the only reason she got out of bed every morning was for a cheque, but as of recently I have not seen her there, which is a relief in regards to technicians. Dr. Godinho is a real wealth of knowledge, and his reputation sure validates that! As for the two negative comments below I must say I am completely shocked and disagree because that is the furthest from the truth from in regards to my visits at this lovely facility. Would highly recommend to anyone! Thanks Eyewest!

flag | Submitted February 22, 2017

We find the front desk very rude and uncooperative in your attempts to get an appointment. It does not seem to matter to them that it is imperative to see the doctor or not. You cannot talk to the doctor or get a message to him in extreme cases. If you ever have to cancel do not for you are no longer on his list even though you may have been seeing him for years. There is something terribly lacking in this office like compassion. The doctor says little to you in the examining room and you go home wondering if you are going blind and what the prognosis is. Sight is so important to many and is i treated like who cares .... next., We know of no other office who treat patients with such disinterest. Dr Godinho do something about your front staff please

flag | Submitted February 21, 2017

Dr Godinho is very knowledgable and his practice very busy. He finds time to address concerns with a caring attitude. He was highly recommended to me and he didn't disappoint. Thank you Dr Godinho and staff.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

This doctor has the worst bedside manner I've experienced, anywhere. Impatient, aggressive and could give a darn about your feelings or pain.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2016

I never met the Dr. Godinho until after several appointments at his office just before surgery for cataract. He was bordering on rude and not very friendly. I got the impression their interest was financial. When the government started to pay for soft lenses, he immediately jumped his charge by the previous amount he was able to charge. Additionally, he said I had to be at the LG Hospital @ 9:30 AM, but did not take me in until 3:30 in the afternoon. Then they immediately tried to book me for operation on my 2nd eye. I didn't think I needed that operation, and that has been confirmed by my current ophthalmologist.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2015

A huge thank you to Dr. Godinho and the great staff at his clinic for taking care of both of my parents cataract surgeries. I was nervous about the process especially because I am their main care giver. Dr. Godinho came highly recommended as a skilled surgeon and now I know why. Both of my parents surgical outcomes are amazing(both now seeing great distances without glasses!). His office is efficient, modern, clean and the staff are very friendly, knowledgeable and reassuring. We almost miss going in for our appointments! I experience wait times in all doctors appointments and found this routine(the only less than positive thing I can say about our experience.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2014

This doctor saved me from going blind. I suffer from Diabetic Retinopathy. I have been seeing him for more than 10 years now...I have had many lazer treatments by him. I am followed just about every 3 months. He is always polite, kind...understanding and empathetic...he really makes me feel like he truly cares about my eyesight. I would never want to loose him as my eye specialist...he is, truthfully, the only doctor I have never failed to go see as scheduled. His staff is polite and efficient and I can only say I would highly recommend him to anyone requiring specialized eye care...my only complaint...i wish he was closer to Langley...im formerly from North Vancouver and I hate the traffic to get to the office, but having said that...he is absolutely worth the drive and wait. Thank you Dr. Godinho...

flag | Submitted November 29, 2013

For cataract surgery I was not properly informed of the options and found doctor very curt and unhelpful. Abrased cornea during surgery. After five weeks still do not have proper vision in eye.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2013

I have never needed an ophthalmologist before suffered a sports Injury to the eye. Dr G was totally professional, and took the time to explain everything to me and fixed my injury. Highly recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2012