You may also like

Rate Dr. Grace Y. Liu

Dr. Grace Y. Liu's Ratings

Dr. Grace is my hero, yes I know that she is busy but she also have a personal life of her own so as I read all these comments of her long wait list then understand that she is also building a family of her own.... so that's why she is not available......

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2906232].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 26, 2015

Dr. Liu is the BEST! I cannot say enough praise for her coming into my life. It was by sheer luck that she was referred to me though a friend who was a patient of hers. And then i asked my dr to refer me to her. It was hard to get an initial appointment and I phoned Sandra (secretary) a lot to take any cancelation or date i could - she was understanding of my need for an appointment asap as i was in a lot of pain. It was hard to get ahold of the office, but i urge people to perservere. It definitely was worth the wait. I am now post-op and my husband and I are so happy to have had Dr. Liu guide us through this process with her experience, compassion and vast amount of knowledge on the issues we are dealing with. I continue to see her and I am thankful to have her as my OBGYN and gynaecologist.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2904302].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 24, 2015

best doctor ever. she's a bit tough to get a hold of but was excellent with me. putting my craziness aside, great advice for a new mom. still hugs me when we greet in the grocery store. class act

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2904192].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 24, 2015

Dr. Liu's office did not get back to me until 5 months after my GP faxed a referral to her office numerous times. I understand that specialists are busy, but 5 months is just neglecting a patient's health. The courteous thing to do as a healthcare provider was to let the patient (me) know that she is unable to take on new patients in the near future or the appointment will be a while back. Patients have very really health issues that can be time sensitive. The issue is not a long wait time for the appointment, but a long time for the office to respond back to me regarding an appointment. Lucky for me, by the 2 month mark of waiting for an appointment with Dr. Liu, I had already secured an appointment with another OBGYN. To illustrate how unreasonable it is to wait 5 months before an office finally gets back to a patient regarding a consultation - I already had a consultation, surgery and post surgery follow-up with another OBGYN and my appointment with Dr. Liu would still have been after all those activities.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2872907].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 22, 2015

Dr. Liu is one of the best doctors I've ever worked with. She was very personable and helpful during my visit, going out of her way to make sure that I understood everything she talked about and possible side-effects.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2858572].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 7, 2015

I recently had surgery with Dr. Grace Liu and I'm currently recovering over the past few days. I am doing really well and I have not had any complications or pain to this point. Everything good said about this doctor has been my experience as well. Dr. Liu extended the operation time to 5 hours from the scheduled 3-3.5 hours after she discovered more issues than what the ultrasound had revealed, in order to deal with the endometriosis as much as possible. Dr. Liu is excellent at dealing with different personalities even with a bit more introverted and less expressive personalities like my own. She's warm, caring, interested, respectful and taking the time to explain things. On top of this, Dr. Liu seems to promote a very high level of patient self-determination, giving me the choice to take out fallopian tubes just because of the cancer risk they might pose to a middle age woman with heavy endometriosis and two 8-10 cm long endometrinomas, and then respectfully not pushing her point when I decided, perhaps foolishly, not to take her advice. As previously also mentioned in several posts, her bedside manners are impeccable, with a strong ability to read and respond to the patient's emotions on the operating table, taking my hand and giving it a squeeze as I was taking a calming in-breath in that large, impersonal operating room with a bunch of unknown people doing prep work. It was of pure sheer dumb luck that I found this excellent doctor who is listed as one of the top endometriosis surgeons in Toronto on various web and Facebook sites...that I discovered afterwards. :) In terms of her staff, I am aware that I get what I put out and perhaps Sandra just is more comfortable with extroverted people, and responds accordingly, like most people do. She seems like a nice lady though. I have to give a shout out to the excellent nurses both pre-and post-op at Sunnybrook! Thank you all. :)

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2769182].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 7, 2015

On December 11, 2014, my family doctor faxed a referral to Doctor Grace Liu’s office and I have been waiting almost 3 months to hear back about my appointment date despite the fact that I called numerous times in December, January and February.
On February 26th, I left a voice message saying that it is unacceptable to have such a long wait just to get an appointment date. My comment was that if Dr. Liu is so busy that she cannot take on new patients, they should at least inform me about it, so I can go somewhere else and take care of my health appropriately.
Following my voice message, I finally got a call back from Dr. Liu’s office and I was told that I did not spell my name clearly in the voice messages and that’s why they couldn’t call me back… I find this questionable. Even if that was true, in my past experience with other specialists, I had their office call me with the appointment date. Perhaps Sunnybrook has a different process for this, I’m not sure. In any case, I’ve been told that apparently the appointment has been booked since January 5 (for July 6th), and this was sent via fax to my family doctor who was supposed to inform me (he never did). Things got pretty heated during the conversation given all the frustration built up during my long wait and the lack of communication.
Once I was told about the July 6th appt, I tried to smooth things up as I just wanted to go ahead with the appointment and take care of my health. I even apologized for my frustration and the fact that I told them I considered complaining to the Board of Directors for the way my referral has been handled. However, Dr’s Liu staff said that she will report to Dr Liu all about our conversation, and as a result my family doctor got a call that Dr Liu does not wish to consult me and my July appt. has been cancelled.
I was extremely shocked that this could happen at such well-known, reputable hospital in Toronto, where health and wellbeing of community members should be placed first (and especially above office staff egos). In my opinion, Dr. Liu’s office approach was spiteful and vindictive and therefor unethical and unprofessional (I just wasted almost 3 months, not addressing my health issues).

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2760970].votes_count ]]

Submitted March 29, 2015

I first met Dr. Liu in 2008, it was my second pregnancy (the first I did have have Dr Liu, and had an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured my right tube), I was high risk. From the moment I met her, she made me feel like she really did care about me, and my baby. I remember one of the first things she said to me was I'm going to try to make the next 9 months as comfortable as I can for you, and she did! She is warm, caring and really takes the time to answer your questions, and believe me I had many. My pregnancy was going normal until about 6 months when my blood pressure started to rise slightly, she wanted to take me off work, but I didn't feel it was necessary, so I went from working 5 days/wk, to 3 days/wk, and then at 7 months I was at 1 day/wk. I'll never forget the day I went to see her I was 33 weeks, she took my blood pressure and said that's it, I'm admitting you...I thought she was kidding, but I was admitted. That week she came to visit me with her daughter, the other ladies in my ward asked me if that was my friend, I said no she's my doctor...who has ever heard of a doctor visiting a patient on her day off? Thanks to Grace, and her instincts, she was determined to keep me in the hospital, until I was ready to be induced at 36-37 weeks, she saved my life. A week after I was admitted my blood pressure spiked, I had a seizure (it happens 3x a year at most) and had to have an emergency C-section. Her instincts were right! God blessed me with a beautiful baby boy on Dec 1. Grace is one of the best doctors, I was privileged enough to have met her, she was my angel. I decided to write this review/comment because I read below how people are upset about her taking time off during the holidays/March Break/ Summer etc. so what, why are you faulting her for wanting to be with her own children during those times, it shows me that not only is she an amazing doctor, but also a dedicated Mom! As for the comments about trying to get through etc. I don't blame her or Sandra, I blame our government for all the cutbacks that they have made at the taxpayers cost! We are losing valuable doctors/nurses etc. because they want to find a better paying job elsewhere! Thank you so much Grace, you are not only my doctor, but have become like family to me! And don't worry, one day I will write a book about my experiences, it will be long, and you will get the first copy LOL...

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2685674].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 16, 2015

Very warm, caring and knowledgeable. Great bedside manners. Made my wife and I very comfortable. Any patient of Dr Lui's should feel lucky to have her.

Sanjay S.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2643140].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 5, 2014

Dr Liu is amasing. She provided me with optons thst were not available to me with my local o/b. Made me feel like I was in the vety best of hsnds day of surgery. Now pregnant at 38. Day I thought would never come until she did her magic on me. Sandra ia very nice ans yes busy. Very difficult to have my calls answered or returned. She could maybe use more admin help in the office

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2588878].votes_count ]]