Ratings for Dr. Douglas Rix

We have been disappointed with Dr. Rix’s office. Our daughter started with the Myobrace over a year ago. The program that was established for us was for one year. I am afraid as to what to expect financially as we move forward. At our original consultation we were told that we would come for monthly visits. They actually book you for about 6 weeks out. You are expected to come in when it works for the office. I don’t think they can appreciate that I have to take time off work travel to pick up our daughter and for her to miss school. I think her appointments are about every 7 weeks. They also have lots of vacation time in the summer, Fridays, Spring break, Christmas, any time when it might be convenient to come in when your child is off of school. They often keep you waiting without an apology. One time I brought it to Dr. Rix’s attention that we had waited for 45 minutes. He kind of shrugged. His assistant later explained to me that he had some challenges removing someone’s braces and was running behind. She gave my daughter an extra wooden reward coin for the wait. Our daughter was having some discomfort with her Myobrace. It needed a little adjustment. We called the office and could not get in. We were crushed that they didn’t’ appear to care. I took her to our dentist for help. The app for the exercises are locked. I can’t see why they hold these so tight. Would it be so terrible to look at a level that you are not on? It is useless and we have never used it. I feel Dr. Rix could be a little more supportive with our 7-year-old daughter. She needs a little positive reinforcement. She wears her brace every night and does her best with the exercises. I think she does well. The front desk ladies I find to be a little less than helpful. I couldn’t log in when we arrived for a first visit as I didn’t know the order to put in the password which is the DOB. She barked at me. It is on the note on the screen. Yup, there was a strip on the top of the lap top that said YMD. I didn’t see it. One time my daughter had a drink from the water cooler. She put her drink on the top of a game center. The receptionist stomped over took her drink without a word. I had to explain to our sweet girl that I don’t think were allowed to put our water up there. On a positive note… I find most of the ladies that support our daughter with her exercises to be helpful and friendly. Gloria is very supportive and makes our daughter feel good about her exercise. I would not recommend this office. Sorry!

flag | Submitted September 22, 2016

Dr. Rix's front staff are horrible. Just horrible. Dr. Rix himself is fine.... but ONLY helpful if you have lots of money. In our case we have no coverage, so need to only do the work that is absolutely necessary. He can't seem to understand this. I've tried to explain to him that we will pay for work that is medically necessary - but not just for esthetic reasons. He can't seem to understand that. It's all about money with him! Felt very pressured. Did not like him or his staff at all! Went elsewhere and got much better service! Do yourself a favor and skip going to this office!

flag | Submitted September 19, 2016

Dr. Rix himself is a great orthodontist and has wonderful bedside manner. The problem I have is with the lengthy wait to get an appointment. I am extremely busy in my third year of nursing and I sometimes do not know what my schedule will be like until classes start. This makes it extremely difficult to book 2- 3 months in advance because I have no idea what my schedule will be that far ahead. The ladies at the front desk are not the nicest. They seem to get easily annoyed and they are not that friendly. Whenever I have had to call and reschedule and attempt to find a time that works, they act burdened by me. I have met plenty of receptionists at various medical offices that are much friendlier and understanding. It would be nice if they could figure something out in regards to scheduling and create a better system for their clients.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2016

I am on my second child with braces with Dr Rix. I was very pleased with the first experience. I find things have changed in the last few monthes. The booking and reception staff have changed. The treating staff might say you need to come back as soon as possible to have a fix done but the earliest you can get an appointment is 3 monthes away. I have to book appointments so far out in advance and I do not have my work schedule when I book these. There is no ability to change an appointment when I do receive my work schedule without it getting pushed back another couple monthes. The staff won't even try to look for something, they just flatly tell you it can't be done. There is no ability to accommodate busy schedules, it was not this way with my first child. The 21 month timeline for the treatment process isn't even going to be close for this reason. I would switch if I could but the treatment has been paid for already. I am happy enough with the treatment that they have received. I would like better parental debriefing at the end of the session. If I don't go in with my kids, I don't receive much follow up info. My kids being teenagers insist they can do it themselves, so they don't want me to come into the appointments.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2016

I am a student,wrestler and have been seeing Dr. Rix for years. He gave me braces, which he did a fantastic job on, helped me whiten my teeth with a naturally not over the top look and then recently made me a mouth guard that has stood up in kickboxing as well as wrestling with my olympian teamates at the U of C. He is very friendly and always takes the time to explain exactly what he is doing and then follows through to his word. He takes pride in his work as well as seeing his patients satisfaction with his work. Much respect to this man.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2015

Dr. Rix is such a fantastic orthodontist! He is friendly, knowledgeable, approachable, and kind. His treatment approach is conservative. And he is such a perfectionist!! His staff are skillful and always in good spirit. I would recommend Dr. Rix to all my friends who needs orthodontic treatment.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

I am so glad that I went to Dr Rix for a second opinion. Not only did the treatment make more sense, it was a lot less costly. He is also very professional!

flag | Submitted October 14, 2014

I have had 3 children that have had braces here over the last 6 years and Dr. Rix is fantastic! My last child had a very complicated procedure to straighten the teeth, but Dr. Rix did a great job of fixing the teeth and bight. Dr. Rix is very good at explaining the procedures and giving options for possible solutions. He fixed my child's teeth without surgery, where he was willing to try a new procedure, and it worked very well. The waiting times are a little lengthy, but that seems to be what happens with specialists.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2013

Awesome experience so far! Everyone is so nice, haven't had to wait very much, definitely recommend.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2011

Excellent care and knowledge. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Dr. Rix is great with explaining every procedure and has an awesome manner with his patients.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2011