Ratings for Dr. Catherine A. Hoffman

In 2005 I was recommended to Dr. Hoffman for a "New" procedure to help get rid of fine lines and wrinkles. She was a dermatologist in the same office. She had a new a new machine for Fraxel treatment. She was new at it and this should have been a red flag for me but, I had saved some money and hated my weathered skin. She recommended 4 treatments for me to get rid of the fine lines and wrinkles at 1000.00 each visit. They used a heavy topical and should have had a driver because I couldn't feel my eye lids. All the treatments did was make me a little swollen and red. It didn't do anything and she even offered 2 free treatments. I was very upset about the out come and made a visit to her now at a new office . She was very defensive and mean and should me a before and after picture they had taken .. Know difference! I left upset again. I wrote to the company and they said she may have not been properly trained. Recently I went to my awesome new Dermatologist and stated talking with an assistant. Come to find out she worked with Dr. Hoffman at that time and I told her how upset I was and she told me that the machine she first stared using didn't work. I tried to ask for a partial refund . She was very rude and said their was change. I've worked in the Dental Profession for 37 yrs and if we screwed up we would make it right or refund!she didn't have the heart to tell me her machine didn't work and refund my money

flag | Submitted February 24, 2015

Scheduled appt to see dr. Had to wait 6 weeks for appt. Waited 45 minutes to be seen only to find out the appt was with a nurse practitioner. I have nothing against nurse practitioners. But, this one didn't know about anything was I asked her about. She didn't know anything. She said "I don't know what that is" about everything. She just kept telling me that I needed to schedule to see the dr. I thought thats who I was supposed to be seeing that day. And I was never told that I was being scheduled with a NP. When I called I said I wanted an appt with the Dr! I was so mad I didn't return. Total waste of my time!!!

flag | Submitted March 4, 2011

Too hard to talk to the staff, just voice mail which takes them days to get to. The doctor spent about 5 minutes with me, didn't answer my questions, just rushed out. After having a biopsy done, I called for the results and they refused to tell me. The only way I could get the results was to make an appointment and pay another office visit. Now they are refusing to send my records to my primary care or my dermatologist. The proper releases have been filled out and signed and they just ignore the requests. Last news is they are closing the office and she is going to Kaiser.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2010

Smart and articulate but lacks heart and the necessary human touch that is so key to being a great physician...

flag | Submitted September 14, 2010

I would not recommend Dr Hoffman to anyone. She refused to get prior approval on medication or to give me a copy of a medical test. She wanted charge me $30 to get a copy of one test. She and her staff seldom return calls and when they do, they tell you they can't help. They don't want to do anything without getting paid for it.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2010

I saw Catherine Hoffman a few times and didn't like her, she scolded me for calling the office with a question about my medication I was put on by her. I did like her nurs practioner and continued to see her. The staff are awful.The have bad attitudes and are incompitent. On pervious occasions that I called the office with important questions they would always toss me off to the voice mail which they would take all day to return only to tell me that they couldn't answer my questions, and that I had to make an appointment, mind you the question was a simple yes or no question about my dosing of medication...clearly didn't require an office visit. Finally,I had an appointment and was called by the office last minute to tell me that they lagged on their Blue Shields insurance and I would have to pay full price of an office visit.Basically This office doesn't care about their patients,no client loyalty.I have been a loyal patient for almost 4 years and this was the last straw.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2009

I like the fact you are greated by a very helpful staff and you never have to wait more than a few minutes. Once I saw Dr. Hoffman come out and advise a couple people she would be a few minutes late there was an emergency. I've recommended her to many people and I've had no feed back to anything negative. Her staff mentioned she has been known to come after hours to assist some one who could not make in during office hours.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2009

Lots of hoops to jump through, almost like you need to qualify to be seen by this Dr. She is highly rushed, rude to her staff and to patients, acts as if she is above everyone. She is very knowledgeable and seems to be able to cure things other doctors know little about. Billing is convuluted, inaccurate and little help is given when questioned. My husband and I had appts on the same day for the same exact thing. Got billed differently. Insurance paid mine, not his. Tried to straighten it out. Was unable to get any help or explanation and ended up paying over $100.00 I should not have had to pay. Another time, my payment was cashed by her office or billing company, as shown by my bank online, but kept getting billed for it.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2008

Positives: Seems knowledgeable, very nice calm manner & voice (but rushed). Office atmosphere VERY relaxing, zen atmosphere relaxing music, new modern building. Negatives: Dr. seems distracted cause in such a rush, I hardly have time to ask questions, too rushed to explain things. If you are not the type to speak up & think fast not the dermatologist to go to. Had a medical procedure done didn’t know it was going to require sutures until the NP was sewing me up & didn’t know the NP was going to do it instead of the Dr. No one asked me if it was ok for NP to do procedure. Dr. just told me NP was going to do it. I didn't feel like I had a choice). Nothing against the NP, she was young but seemed competent, but I always prefer the Dr. over the NP, especially if it is going to leave a scar. When I first starting going to her a couple yrs. ago, she wasn't so rushed, but last several visits within the last yar, she has been.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2007

Dr. Catherine A. Hoffman's Credentials

• University Of California, San Francisco School Of Medicine (Grad. 1995)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal