Dr. Max Ohnona

Ratings for Dr. Max Ohnona

Yes, he is knowledgeable. I live in the States and have had consults with the most highly regarded podiatrists, including cost of orthotics. When my friend in Vancouver told me how much she was paying Dr. Ohnona for orthotics I was shocked. Even the top podiatrists here do not charge over $350. Yes, adjustments are needed but the actual orthotics are made in a factory for approx. $1

flag | Submitted July 5, 2016

If you're looking for a social visit with a doctor who's going to compliment you on everything, then don't go see him. If you want someone who knows what he's doing and will save your feet, then go to him Yes, he's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2016

I went to see him over a decade ago upon recommendation by my good friend (who is very tolerant of weird people in general). Dr. Ohnona was very arrogant, rude and a hard personality to swallow. But what I did like was the orthotics he had given me gave me relief for my feet (I'm still using them today). I also really liked the professional foot cleaning & treatment that was included with each visit. He had a technician make my feet baby smooth and Dr. Ohnona knew his stuff. However, over a decade later, I need to see a podiatrist again and thought I'd benefit from the development of the Web to check out his online ratings. Interesting to see they support my opinion. What's also off-putting is his insane prices. About $200 for an initial consultation (I do not have extended health insurance). The comments from his former patients here support my opinion of his ridiculous pricing. Go to "Yelp" and look for another podiatrist who will be just as competent, charge half the price and be a whole LOT more pleasant in terms of personality.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2016

Dr.Ohnona's custom fit orthotics are flawed! I have been a client at Dr.Ohnona's for many years and have seen his prices climb higher and higher to the point that my medical insurance doesn't cover all the costs to have them made. And after paying these exorbitant costs for these custom made orthotics, they still cannot be worn in all types of shoes. Yet Dr.Ohnona, himself, has stated more then once that orthotics can be worn comfortably in any type of shoe. This is false! Recently, I purchased a brand new pair of Nike shoes and inserted my custom made orthotics into the footwear and everywhere I walk they squeak and squeak and squeak. When I removed the orthotics, the squeak was gone. Upon closer inspection of the shoes, I noticed the inside lining rubs against the underside of the orthotics and makes the squeaking sound. I've tried lining my shoes with tissue paper and the squeak is less noticeable. Why should I have to stuff my shoes with tissue paper, while wearing custom made orthotics that cost me as much as one months rent on a rental suite in Vancouver? It's a shame that these orthotics cannot be worn in all types of shoes like Dr.Ohnona claims. Perhaps, the whole design of the orthotics themselves needs to be altered so that they can be comfortably worn in all types of shoes.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2016

I've been seeing Dr Ohnona for the past 6 years for at least a couple of times per year. The orthotics he recommended are expensive but they are custom made and are the only orthotics that worked for me. He's continuously adjusting them and checking that they are still “working”. He prescribed compression stocking during my pregnancy and that made my life easier. He always takes his time to explain what needs to be done and why. He's taking people's health very seriously even though he's always joking. He is seeing everyone in my family and we couldn’t be more happy. Every time I go there claiming one issue he fixes that and another two.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2015

Decent podiatrist but he overcharges like no other. He charges 700+ for his orthodics while every other podiatrist charges 400 or less. Most insurance companies cover 80% of $350 for custom orthodics made from cast molds. Had I gone to the podiatrist across the street from my home in Yaletown, I would have paid 90 dollars out of pocket for custom orthodics. With Ohnona I paid $750 out of pocket, as even his fees were way higher than what insurance companies cover. I would not recommend him.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2015

I wound not recommend Dr. Max Ohnona. He has a great knowledge and 30+ experience; however, there is a room to improve his patient approach. Sometimes it is his punctuality, his monologue style conversation, his fees that are high and insurance didn't cover half of what I was invoice for. Things could have been done more efficiently, that would require less visits, lower fees for the patient and a feeling that someone actually listened to you.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2015

Worst experience I have ever had. The entire appointment was so ridiculous I thought I was on Candid Camera. First off, the receptionist was very rude when I came in 3 minutes early, she said she wasn't opened yet and was going to make me wait outside until I asked if I could just sit and wait. Dr. Ohnona came out into the waiting room a couple times and didn't even acknowledge me (a potential new patient) the least bit. When I finally got in for my appointment, he was very rude, he did not even say hello before sternly telling me to sit down and ask me what I was doing there. He looked at my feet (I have large bunions) and proceeded to tell me how bad this situation was. Then he was look at me and almost yell "Do you know how bad this is? Oh my God! This is bad!" He would ask me questions about my feet and when I went to answer he would abruptly interrupt me and continue to tell me how knowledgeable and wise he is and that he doesn't need me to answer him because 'he knows... because he is a surgeon.' This doctor is a complete joke, I may as well thrown my money in the garbage. The hour appointment consisted of him telling me how great and amazing of a doctor he is, then he glued sponges to my feet without explaining what the heck he was doing, and told me to come back to him and get fit for orthotics. I would not give another cent to this guy. He also said he would refer me to St. Paul's Hospital Foot Clinic (which he did not), and said I wont have to wait very long once they see his name on the referral because he is such an incredible and reputable surgeon. I originally went to him because I saw on RateMDs he was rated one of the top 3 podiatrists in Vancouver... Now that I have met him, I am sure that all the amazing reviews on here were written by him or his receptionist. This guy was such a jerk I'd be surprised if he even had friends. This is your warning, do not waste your time or money seeing this "doctor".

flag | Submitted February 19, 2015

This Dr. is definitely getting kickbacks for orthotics...100% chance he will try to push them on you no matter what you go there for...Beware!

flag | Submitted December 12, 2014

This guy is amazing. I don't know why people left bad reviews and said they wouldn't be coming back but I can share my experience. Dr. Max Ohnona is one of the kindest, most knowledgeable surgeons I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. His receptionist is very pleasant, warm and polite, as well as organized and accommodating. Physicians are notorious for running late but the first two (and only for now) times I have been to the office, Dr. Max Ohnona was exactly on time in taking me for my appointment. Additionally, he estimated my surgery to the minute and, I don't know how he managed to guess, but that is EXACTLY the time it took, including all of the bandaging. He was very open and detailed in answering my questions and concerns, pausing every so often to ask me if I understood everything he said. During the consultation he took his time and didn't try to rush me. He answered questions about everything and didn't limit me to discussion about the reason I came in like some doctors do. My reason for visit was for an ingrown toenail removal but the Dr also did a general foot exam and was able to point out my problem in less than 10 seconds. I knew something was wrong but he was able to show me exactly what. He was also extremely generous in providing me with pain medications and additional care supplies I would need after my surgery and gave me a "take away" bag of lotions soaps and samples of pain killers I would need in addition to my prescriptions. It is true that this man has a sense of humor and is quite funny. As some reviews said, he is a bit eccentric and may interrupt you at times but after his schpiels, he let's you say your bit and is very respectful. Note that he is specific in after care and may pretend to be arrogant or give attitude but that's just his personality. I met him twice and can say that he is one of few people that GENUINELY care. He's nice and he's pleasant after the initial 3min introduction. I will recommend him to everyone and will be coming back again for post-op check ups and custom fit orthodics later down the road (month or two). Really great doctor. See him!!

Submitted December 6, 2014