Ratings for Dr. Bruce S. Kahn

After experiencing pelvic pain for several years and visiting many different doctors who told me nothing was wrong with me, I luckily found Dr. Bruce Kahn. Within the first 10 minutes of my exam, he knew I had interstitial cystitis and pudendal neuralgia. The IC was confirmed by a cystoscopy and the pudendal neuralgia was confirmed by severe pain with pressure on the pudendal nerve. Dr. Kahn helps me to relieve this pain with pudendal nerve blocks, bladder installations, and other medications. He is very professional and continues to improve his methods by furthering his research and participating in clinical trials. I highly recommend Dr. Kahn for help with pelvic pain.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2019

Dr. Kahn recently did my complete (radical) hysterectomy in April 2018. He did a Da Vinci Robotic Hysterectomy. I went home the same day, about 3 hours after the surgery! Truly amazing! The recovery has been almost instant, with virtually no pain afterwards. (And this was a big surgery!) I can't say enough about how this was such a positive experience. I'm now 3 weeks post surgery and doing fantastic. This 60 year old gal is soooo glad to have had this done and bring an end to years of dealing with cysts, fibroids, menses and all the pain, discomfort, concern, monitoring and inconvenience to life that they brought. I feel so relieved that all those issues are now gone forever! Dr. Kahn has been my doctor for the past 5 years or so, and I have always had confidence in his knowledge, wisdom and experience. He is certainly a top notch physician. Thank you, Dr. Kahn for taking such good care of me.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2018

I feel incredibly fortunate to have met Dr. Kahn and for the first time, there is light at the end of the tunnel for me. If you are struggling with a diagnosis or have abdominal pain, I HIGHLY encourage you to see Dr. Kahn! After 10+ years of pain and 20+ doctors he found a nerve causing me my pain. Incredible. I had 3+ other OBGYN's ready to schedule a hysterectomy because they thought my uterus or ovary was causing my pain when it is a NERVE!!! I read through every comment before meeting with Dr. Kahn, even the negative ones. I see people irritated that he didn't caudle them. He is a very quick, fast paced doctor. He is smart, quick and knows what he is doing. I think the reason people feel this way is he is 10 steps ahead of you. He see's SO many people and helps SO many people. If you want your body taken care of, see Dr. Kahn. If you want your mind taken care of, see a therapist. I have zero complaints about my visits. He spent enough time with me and answered all my questions. He uses a microphone to take notes which is different from other doctors but I think this is much more efficient than typing will listening to patients.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2018

Over the years I had been seen by multiple specialist for my chronic pain. Each of them had a different diagnosis and treatment. Some didn’t even provide a treatment plan. Last Sept I was at my wits end when yet another specialist told me she was referring me to a pain specialist to “take the responsibility” off of her. I was devastated and just wanted to give up. I decided to make one last effort and googled my symptoms and Dr. Kahn’s name came up. After reading some of his articles I had hope again. I contacted his office that day, Friday, and was given an appointment for the very next Monday. I was very apprehensive when I first got into his office but as soon as he walked in and he greeted me I knew I was in the right hands. He asked me very specific questions about my symptoms and quickly said, “We are going to make you feel better.” I had not been told that by any of the other specialists, and for some reason I can’t explain, I completely believed Dr. Kahn. Today is six months from that appointment and I can honestly say, he was right. I feel so much better since being treated by Dr. Kahn. I still have mild flair ups but nothing as debilitating as I did before and I know that I can contact his office for help if I need to. Dr. Kahn’s professionalism, bedside manner and passion for his job are commendable. Thank you Dr. Kahn! You have made my life enjoyable again!

flag | Submitted March 26, 2018

I had adhesions from my c section but he inisited that it’s my bladder even though I had zero pain urinating or urge to pee often. Other doctors did MRI and confirmed that it’s the adhesion. He thinks he knew it all and his attitude is totally arrogant.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2018

Dr. Bruce S. Kahn's response
I am sorry I was unable to help this patient more. That said, pelvic pain problems can be very difficult to diagnose and treat. I always try to diagnose and treat pelvic pain problems from a holistic viewpoint (e.g., looking at many possible causes). It is amazing how often the source of the pain originates from somewhere different than we may first think. I wish this patient well.

Submitted March 10, 2018

Dr. Kahn and his nurse Belinda are truly amazing. After being in constant pain for a year and seeing 3 different OBGYns, Dr. Kahn was able to give me a diagnosis and treatment right away. He took my pain away and I would urge anyone who is looking for an OBGYN or who has pelvic/vaginal pain to go to him. He is always on time and spends a good amount of time with me. I am so relieved and thankful to have found him. Dr. Kahn actually listened to me and was compassionate. I am very lucky he is in San Diego because it is very rare to find a Doctor who you can trust.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2018

I just recently went to meet with Dr. Kahn after the P.A. referred me to him in order to discuss options including surgery. He was very calming and thorough. I left his office confident that I made the right decision. I ended up having a hysterectomy, sling placement, and A&P repair. The recovery was much better than I expected. Just maybe 2 days of feeling some pain on the 3 or 4 day following procedure. After that, I felt good but would just get fatigued by end of day. This is without needing to take any pain medication. In addition, his office staff is incredible, and the office is very clean. I would highly recommend Dr. Kahn with confidence to anyone - no matter what their need!

flag | Submitted December 2, 2017

Dr. Bruce S. Kahn's response
Thank you! Part of the key to quick recovery after surgery is using a minimally invasive approach whenever possible and using the peri-operative protocols we use called, "Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS). These work hand-in-hand to make recovery from surgery quick. Thank you again for your comment!

Submitted March 10, 2018

Went to him for Pudendal Neuralgia and he treated me for it straight away. Pain has gone completely, he explained everything clearly and staff were great too. Would definitely recommend Dr Kahn

flag | Submitted November 13, 2017

Dr. Bruce S. Kahn's response
Thank you for the comment! This is an unusual type of pain that unfortunately is overlooked as a possibility by a lot of doctors. Treatment is relatively quick and easy.

Submitted March 10, 2018

After seeing 3 doctors previously, having two procedures, one MRI and a scan, I was frustrated until I visited Dr. Kahn and he was able to help me and my painful symptoms are slowly but surely disappearing. I am grateful.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

Dr. Bruce S. Kahn's response
Glad you are feeling better. Thank you for the comment!

Submitted March 10, 2018

I have an autoimmune disorder that triggers chronic, painful and time debilitating symptoms resulting in many doctor consultations. I assumed my first visit with Doctor Kahn would be no different than the many urologists I've seen in the past. I would tell my story then give urine specimen feeling frustrated and more desperate for symptom relief. Dr kahn listened intently to my medical journey. With compassion and a smile Dr kahn said "The mystery of your syptoms is complicated but will be fun. Let's get you better!" He asked questions that seemed purposeful to me. Direct, providing information, and encouragement in the "diagnoses/ recovery process" It's been 6 months since my initial visit. I've been treated with kindness and importance. Elated with joy and in awe of Dr. Kahns treatment plan that has enhanced my quality of life. He gave me tools that have me hopeful and in more control than I've ever dreamed possible. I am no longer in fear of a flare up . I belive his passion to help all of his patients including the "mysteries " like me is genuine making him a brilliant doctor. With lots of enthusiasm and gratitude THANK YOU DR. Kahn.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2017

Dr. Bruce S. Kahn's response
So glad to hear you are feeling better! Helping people get better from these types of problems is one of the most satisfying parts of my work.

Dr. Bruce S. Kahn's Credentials

Dr. Kahn is a board certified gynecologist and also was one of the first in the country to obtain additional subspecialty certification in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (urogynecology). Thus he is able to treat the full spectrum of concerns related to the female pelvic organs. Dr. Kahn treats many complex gynecologic problems including uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, menstrual disorders, menopausal symptoms, contraception, infertility and more. He has particular expertise in treating difficult problems such as pelvic pain, interstitial cystitis (painful bladder syndrome), urinary incontinence, frequency and urgency (overactive bladder), as well as pelvic organ prolapse (uterine or vaginal prolapse). Whenever possible, Dr. Kahn seeks to find non-surgical solutions for his patients. However, when surgery is necessary, he strives to ensure that patients receive a minimally invasive procedure whenever possible. He has extensive experience in all type of pelvic surgery including vaginal, laparoscopic and robotic procedures. He was one of the first surgeons in San Diego to perform laparoscopic hysterectomy and more recently, he was one of the first to offer robotically-assisted single incision (“belly button”) hysterectomy.

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1990)

• Chronic pelvic pain in women
  • Uterine prolapse
  • Urinary incontinence
  • Uterine fibroids
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
  • Menopause
  • Overactive bladder
  • Vulvodynia
  • Vaginitis

• Patients' Choice Award (2008 - 2009, 2014) Best Doctors in America * Leading Physicians of the World * Marquis Who's Who in America * Patients' Choice Award * Top Obsterician/Gynecologist in San Diego *

• Laser technology and applications in gynaecology
  • Cellphone based mobile imaging device for cervical cancer screening and diagnosis”.
  • Should You Offer Outpatient Hysterectomy
  • The Incidence of Interstitial Cystitis in Patients with Vulvodynia as Detected by Intravesical Potassium Sensitivity.”
  • Management of Patients with Interstitial Cystitis or Chronic Pelvic Pain of Bladder Origin: A Consensus Report.