Rate Dr. Leon Kavaler

Dr. Leon Kavaler's Ratings

Based on my experience, I found this physician to be condescending and very dismissive regarding my presenting gastro problem . He also did not return calls as promised resulting in my needing to call back numerous times. This necessitated my seeking the services of another Gastroenterologist who correctly diagnosed the basis for my lingering gastro issue and assisted me in understanding the symptoms and relieving the symptoms entirely.

Submitted Aug. 13, 2014 | flag

I went to Dr. Kavaler because I did not have success with other doctors. His staff was nice, appointments were timely, and he actually listened to how I was feeling. He scheduled my tests and referred me to a specialist and a surgeon- all in 1 appointment! (Like a real doctor should) He told me he would follow up. After surgery I was in poor condition. Dr. Kavaler stopped by just to say hi before he went home. He took matters seriously, stayed to do an emergency procedure, called all the right people, and fixed me. I am more than okay now and feel amazing. He saved my life. He is truly the best.

Submitted July 28, 2014 | flag

I went to Dr. Kavaler for my very first colonoscopy and he was great! His front desk was very welcoming and friendly, as was the rest of the staff. The procedure was quick and pain-free... and the good report afterwards was very comforting as well. I would strongly recommend Dr. Kavaler for any gastro work that needs to be done. He is very knowledgeable and happens to have a great sense of humor, too, which helped put me at ease before my procedure.

Submitted July 21, 2014 | flag

Dr Kavaler is amazing. Making an appointment was easy. I checked in at the front dest and was seen immediately (and right on time). His staff at the front desk and the nurse who drew my blood were both super kind and friendly. Dr Kavaler is one of a kind. They don't make doctors like him any more. He really cares about his patients. It's clearly evident how he loves what he does. He truly wants to make you feel better. He stayed late to add me on the schedule for an endoscopy. He checked on me over the weekend (multiple times)...and it was a holiday weekend. He promptly returns all my messages. He's passionate about gastroenterology and is committed to helping get you better. He's AMAZING.

Submitted July 9, 2014 | flag

Dr. Kavaler is a good doctor but he really needs new front desk staff. They all have rude attitudes and very unprofessional, they were not helpful at all. And act as if you are bothering them. They answer the phone rudely and does not ask who you are beforeputting you on hold. Dr. Kavaler is very knowledgeable but I will never go back to him because dealing with the front desk is just not worth it.

Submitted June 25, 2014 | flag

Dr. Leon Kavaler is an outstanding physician. I have known him for many years and have recommended him highly to many friends. He has a caring way and is extremely thorough. You leave his office with a sense of ease because you can be confident in what he has told you. His wife, Dr. Jill Kavaler, is an equally accomplished physician. They are an amazing team and have a great practice!

Submitted Oct. 23, 2013 | flag

Dr. Kavaler is an excellent diagnoticianfrom his early years in practice to the present. He gives as much "talk time" as I want/need, answers questions thoroughly, concisely and ALWAYS treats me with incredible sensitivity and compassion. He takes the time to investigate individual and personal issues that might impact my physical status. He is ALWAYS responsive and attentive and has been a critical participant in my well being. I rely on his professional opinion and recommendations for any health related concerns I have. I have recommended him to countless friends and relatives for the past 20 years!

Submitted Oct. 10, 2013 | flag

In 2007, while living in TX, I had my gallbladder removed and suffered for months post-procedure with daily bouts of diarrhea. A move later that year to NYC complicated my health care, but fortunately my new PCP was quick to recommend Dr. Kavaler. After a consultation, review of my medical records and an examination, I left that day with a prescription for Questran, and overnight, just as Dr. Kavaler promised, my daily battle with diarrhea was gone. That alone was enough to make me a fan, and I can add that I have consistently been welcomed warmly, treated kindly and with compassion by the staff and both Dr. Kavalers. I recently returned to NYC after 2 years away, and one of my first stops was Dr. Kavaler's office, where I was recognized and welcomed as if I'd never been away. I'm ecstatic to be back, and under his watchful care.

Submitted Oct. 6, 2013 | flag

I've been a patient of Dr. Kavaler's since 1998. He is the most supportive, compassionate doctor I've ever had in my life. Not only is he patient oriented; he does not give-up trying to find the answer. Even when the condition is complicated. He works with the patient to find out what's wrong, making sure that the medical issues are addressed but also the psychosocial. He notices when a patient has more going on than just medical symptoms. In my opinion Dr. Kavaler is the best GI in NY city!

Submitted Oct. 2, 2013 | flag

To put it simply, Dr. Kavaler saved my life. I went in for a routine colonoscopy--my first--expecting to be told that everything was fine. Instead, I received a call that the dr. wanted to see me right away. And he did, he had me come in that same day because he wanted to let me know what he had found in person. It was a carcinoid tumor (malignant)--cancer at age 49. I was in shock, and Dr. Kavaler was incredible. He explained everything to me slowly and compassionately and reassured me that everything was going to be ok and that he would set up all the appointments I needed to schedule surgery, get treatment etc. Within moments of finding out my diagnosis, I was walking to the oncologist's office. The tumor was resected, and Dr. Kavaler followed up every step of the way. Since then, whenever I have called with an issue, he has responded immediately. He and his wife Jill, the anesthesiologist, are professional, and kind, warm, caring individuals. I highly recommend them.

Submitted Sept. 30, 2013 | flag