Rate Dr. Rod Syme

Dr. Rod Syme's Ratings

I do not recommend this doctor. The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario is investigating my case. I had a very small skin tag in the rectal area. Dr. Syme advised me to remove it. Instead, without any informed consent, he performed a Hemorrhoidectomy, an extremely painful surgery with many risks and complications. He did not prescribe antibiotics, painkillers. He did not advise me to take time off from work. He did not offer me a follow up appointment either. I was under the impression I could go to work the next day. However, I had to stay home for almost 2 weeks following surgery, and had pain for many months. Also, I developed other serious complications that lasted months. I had no idea about the risks and complications of this surgery.
Two-working days after surgery, I phoned Dr. Syme’s office in desperation and informed them I was in so much pain, that I had passed out during the weekend and that I was bleeding heavily from the wound. I needed to see the doctor urgently. His secretary said Dr. Syme does not follow up for such "minor" surgeries. I begged her to let me see him. She reiterated it was an "office policy" and that she was only following Dr. Syme’s instructions. I was not granted the appointment. I had to go to a walk-in clinic. Months later, due to further complications, I went to a private clinic in Toronto and stayed there for 3 weeks undergoing treatment.
Dr. Syme has responded that he did not perform a Hemorrhoidectomy. However, medical records (including OHIP billing) indicate he performed a “Hemorrhoidectomy”. I have raised many other issues about Dr. Syme’s conduct and care to the College. Members of the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board have expressed “serious concerns with all the issues raised” and they stated they were “left perplexed”. Full report below:

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2488467].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 8, 2014

I had two hernia surgery's performed by him. Both in different places! Last surgery I went in at 1:20 PM and actually walked out of the hospital at 3:30 PM. I could not believe that there was no pain!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2477899].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 4, 2014

I took my Short term disability form to his office 1.5 weeks before my scheduled surgery, Jan. 20 2014, he did not fill it out, it is now Feb 3 2014 and the form still has not been filled out. It was sent into Physimed uncompleted and unsigned by his office. I am not impressed with his incompetence. I have been trying to call his office and get no response. I have written a complaint to the College of Pyscians and Surgeons of Ontario. I do not recommend this doctor, as he will leave you hanging.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][372485].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 4, 2014

I can not say enough about Dr. Syme and his Assistant. I had hernia surgery in May 2013. Even when I called the office, his Assistant was there to answer the phone without it going to voice mail. How rare is that. I have met with him on several occasions after because I felt that something was not quite right. With the assurance given to me by both Dr. Syme and his Assistant, I felt that I was in the best of care. He reminds me of what doctors used to be. (Caring, kind, easy to talk to). nd

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][372484].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 30, 2013

Pretty much awesome! Dr Syme is very knowledgeable and will answer any questions and alleviate any concerns. He has a good sense of humour and is easy to talk to. He did surgery on my head and neck and left minimal scarring. His staff went out of their way to assist in getting all the required ct scans ,ultrasounds and blood work scheduled quickly. Overall a very good experience.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][372483].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 15, 2013

Dr. Syme is an amazing surgeon. I lived in pain for two years and had such a hard time getting doctors to listen to me. Then I had the luck of meeting Dr. Syme. He listened, he refused to let me go home from the ER (despite a different doctor disagreeing with him) and he got to the bottom of my pain...within a week I had a foot of my colon removed and have been healthy and pain free ever since. I can never ever say enough about this fine doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][372482].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 9, 2012

What can I say...the man saved my life. I will be forever grateful for that. In addition, this doctor has an amazing bed-side manner, very rare in surgeons.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][372481].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 21, 2012

Dr. Syme was truly a life saver for me. He was very thorough and reassuring. Highly recommend him and would seek him out for any future surgeries

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][372480].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 3, 2012

It is a privilege to be able to publicly express my gratitude and great high regard for this talented, caring surgeon. It was my fortune the day I ended up in the emergency department and under the expert medical care of Dr. Syme. What a positive experience having him handle my treatment with calmness and assurance. I know several people who have had him perform surgery and the account is always the same: considerate, compassionate and thorough. He treats all his patients as human beings, not merely a symptom. He is an exceptional and wonderful doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][372479].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 1, 2011

Dr.Syme has done 5 surgeries for me. I have complete faith and trust in him. He always has given my options and together we have decided on the best course of action for my aliments. He is caring and reassuring especially when he preformed my breast cancer surgeries.I would highly recommend him to anyone.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][372478].votes_count ]]