Dr. J. Thomas Chon

Grad. Year: 1997

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 23/11/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.7 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 21 reviews. Dr. J. Thomas Chon has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: Is this doctor open to prescribing Armour, Naturethroid?    Email me    Answer it    See answers

Endocrinologist-related: Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypogonadism, metabolic bone disease, diabetes mellitus, pituitary dysfunction, neuroendocrinology, diabetes, pancreas, pituitary gland, ovaries, testes, thyroid, adrenal glands
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

06/02/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 4.5
RID: 3597239
06/11/13 5 2 5 5 Dr Chon is a great Doctor... My mother is a patient of his and she is well into her 90's.. however the wait for the blood results is way too long... I cannot under stand why we cannot get her results sooner than 10 days given the fact that then we have to change medication... Other than than, he does spend alot of time with his patients and I guess this is why the wait time is so long....
Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Thomas" to "Thomas T."
RID: 2913020
15/10/13 2 1 5 5 Dr Chon is a very good Doctor and I respect him. It does take the time to explain your issues, answer your questions, not in the rush, and does call you back when you ask for it. However, when I see him, I tend to do my blood tests after the visit, which is a shame as I would like to discuss the results with him face to face rather than doing that on the phone. The worst thing about this office is the waiting time. It's ridiculous, i have to wait for about 1 hour even more each time I see Dr Chon. That is really unacceptable, mainly for people who are working! This not respectful of people's life I think.  Respond
RID: 2824480
30/08/13 2 4 5 5 I met with dr. Chon for the first time. He spent a long time with me, asking me many questions and explaining in detail everything about what he plans to do. I never had a doctor that was so patient and kind. He answered all my questions and I never felt rushed. I am thrilled to have him as my doctor.
RID: 2653528
21/05/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Chon was awesome, he was patience and took time to ensure he addressed all my concerns. Originally I was hesitant about seeing a male endocrinologist, but it turns out it was the best decision. I would recommend him to anyone, even though I had to wait over 6 weeks to get an appointment.
RID: 2602902
29/03/13 5 2 5 5 Yes, you have to wate a long time to see him (both to schedule a visit and in the waiting room), but he is an excellent physician. I will tell you that I've switched doctors before when they have long waits even if they were good physicians. However, Dr. Chon is definitely worth the wait. He's patient, caring, and attentive. He'll ask you several times if you have any questions and always reiterate what needs to be done to make sure you understand. I've referred several friends there and they all love him as well. It's rare to find a doctor who is as thorough and thoughtful as he is, he's a true gem.
RID: 2421454

10/09/12 1 1 2 4 The wait time is beyond ridiculous. I waited an hour then I asked to reschedule. @ The exact time of my appointment they brought someone else in. They gave me a very hard time when and I just left without rescheduling. Also, I had an MRI done of my pituitary. I had to call that Office everyday for over a week to get my results back. The office doesn't care and they dont have a clue. They were quick to send a bill. Billed incorrectly to boot. This was going to be my second appoinment. After Gettin my test back an having a testosterone level of 111 he refused to give me a shot. I was on androgel and still was at 111. Told him I felt crappy. He suggested I go see another endocrinologist. This was over the phone and this took 3 days for him to get back to me. He gets patients from all over because of this site. I went to him because of this site. You will be wasting your time going to Dr.Chon. His attitude is terrible and the staff there doesn't care. Unless it has to do with your bill.  Respond
RID: 2122540

08/05/12 3 1 1 3 The wait time was enormous, 45 minutes at one apt. I felt like the visit was in vane due to his lack of preparedness. He never had test results to discuss and got upset when I asked about them. He just didn't care.
RID: 1836566
02/04/12 4 4 5 5 He is an excellent doctor. Even though I sometimes wait 20 minutes, my visits with him have been always satisfactory. I do not feel rushed when I am seeing him.
RID: 1762578
19/03/12 4 2 4 4 Been to this dr several times for thyroid. excellent dr. only bad rating is due to always having to wait 1hr past scheduled appointment.
RID: 1669599
26/12/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Chon is a wonderful, caring doctor. He listens, he explains, he takes his time, and covers everything. Best Dr. EVER!  Respond
RID: 1528999
03/09/11 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Chon's for the last two years. My previous endocrinologists told me that my thyroid cancer was too aggressive for him to take care of. I was sent to a thyroid surgeon at Sloane Kettering Cancer Center where I had lymph node and neck dissection surgery. I have been monitored by Dr. Chon who has adjusted my Synthroid dose. I am doing well and feel great. I have recommended my friends to Dr. Chon and they are very happy with him.
RID: 1334128
12/01/11 4 4 5 5 Dr. Chon is very caring and dedicated. He asked many questions and answered all of my questions. He also gave me detailed information about the thyroid biopsy I had. He is an excellent doctor. I would recommend him to everyone who needs a thyroid specialist.
RID: 1199980
01/07/10 5 5 5 5 GREAT DOTOR, GREAT PERSONALITY, WONDERFUL ATTITUDE. ALWAYS RESPECTFUL
RID: 1138816
29/03/10 5 5 5 5 Dr Chon is really wonderful. he spent a long time with me and my 86 year old mother who has severe dementia, all the time very patient and caring. We never felt rushed. He asked alot of questions and really probed to geta complete picture. Im now traveling to NJ from NY to see him for my own thyroid problem!
RID: 956759
07/08/09 3 2 5 5 The doctor is excellent, friendly, answers you question, and caring. Wait time are long. The staff is not helpful and you get different answers on different occasion. (On the phone the staff says "We do not mail the prescription you have to pick it up". Another staff says "you didn't have to come to pick it up, we would have mailed it to you.")
RID: 664363
12/08/08 1 1 4 5 This doctor spends a lot of time with patient until he satisfies all of their concerns. Helpful, courteous and supportive. Wait time is much too long and staff rarely communicates after check in and has messed up appointments. Office run more like a factory then a people supportive entity.  Respond
RID: 633714
08/07/08 4 5 5 5 Extremely professional. Really spent time with me~never felt rushed. Wonderful man.
RID: 501832
01/02/08 5 5 5 5 Dr. Chon is a great doctor. He has helped my get my hypothyroid condition under control. I would definitely recommend this doctor.
RID: 421834
30/09/07 4 3 5 5 A subperb doctor. He asks appropriate questions and knows how to dig to help in his diagnosis. He does blood tests and detects problems that patient was not even aware he had. He runs a bit late but he is worth the wait. A very fine doctor.
RID: 394135
29/08/07 4 3 5 5 Dr. Chon is one of the good ones. He is thorough, very knowledgeable, realistic, gave excellent references for a biopsy I needed, asked a million questions to get an accurate family and personal history and when everything turned out OK suggested that I come and see him every couple of years to keep an eye on my condition. There was no sense that money was a motivation in anything that went on in the office. He is a very nice and charming man.
Paid (or co-pay): $15
RID: 256678
03/04/07 4 5 5 He's wonderful. He listens which is really important when diagnosing thyroid symptoms. He monitored me during a risky pregnancy and continues to contribute to my health as a hypothyroid patient.