Rate Dr. Kam Shojania

Dr. Kam Shojania's Ratings

Dr. Shojania has been my rheumatologist for 5 years. When I was initially referred to him with symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, he sent me to the rapid diagnosis clinic at Mary Pack arthritis centre where I was seen within 2 weeks, received my diagnosis of RA, and started on treatment immediately. I believe this efficient management of my RA likely saved me from permanent joint damage. Since then, I have been following up regularly with Dr. Shojania. He is a good listener, respectful, knowledgeable, and cares about the whole person. He takes his time to discuss issues. He is an excellent clinician, who is interested in the science of medicine, and the art of communicating to patients in a compassionate way. He has also contributed in a significant way to advocating for improved access to care, increasing medical students' interest in rheumatology, and improving education in this field. He also participates in fundraising for arthritis programs, and collaborates closely with consumer groups such as Arthritis Consumer Experts (ACE). I highly recommend Dr. Shojania for patients with inflammatory rheumatic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and ankylosing spondylitis.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2501510].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 17, 2014

Dr Shojania is extremely arrogant and patronizing. He does not respect a patient's right to get a second opinion. He does not listen well, and appointments always seem rushed. I would rather go without medical care than continue being a patient of his.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1258411].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 14, 2014

Having had experience with three rheumatologists, and with no complaints about any of them, I would be lying if I did not say Dr. Shojania is by far the best of the lot. Not only does he know his stuff, he allows me to take an active role in my treatment, and he listens to me. Dr. Shojania not only cares about my physical state, but my emotional well-being as well, and he made sure that my depression was treated by referring me to a specialist in that field. He knows his stuff, he's gentle, he's kind, and I would not trade him for another rheumatologist because quite frankly, nobody else measures up. I don't understand those who wrote negative comments, but I can only speculate that the issues lie with the commenters themselves. Anyone who gets referred to Dr. Shojania is very lucky and can expect to be given good care.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2446378].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 2, 2014

I agree with the other posters who say they would rather go without medical care than to see him. He actually caused more damage than no care with his hasty, unfounded opinion that falls in the "it's all in your head" category. Like others, I have had excellent, ongoing medical care for years since seeing him that proves the devastating damage from my active disease. I'd go to great lengths to never be seen by him again. He may win awards for teaching and service but I couldn't agree with others more about his lack of skill. That he holds so much power and prestige in BC is kind of frightening, actually.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2446377].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 28, 2014

All you nasayers are very mistaken. Dr Shojania is absolutely the best arthritis DR there is! He has given me back my active life for 3 years now with his "miracle injections". He is an expert in his chosen field & I am a lucky gal to have him. He is always courteous, friendly, kind & understanding. He can be funny too. I feel completely at ease with this doctor & consider him a dear friend & not just my doctor. He gives me hope & restores my confidence by releasing me from the pain I endure with two bad knees. I simply cannot understand such negativity in these ratings. You do not know or understand him at all. You will never find a more personable, professional & knowlegable Dr like Dr Shojania. If you are looking to have your hand held or to be molly-coddled look elsewhere. He tells it like it is & I appreciate this greatly. Dr Shojania is just the best!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1258436].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 17, 2012

Arrogant, self centered and rude! He has the 'God' complex! Refused to listen to my input. Basically one of those, 'it's in your head' kind of doctors....later tested proved him wrong! He has no empathy IMO. I wouldn't recommend him at all! Had he taken the time to actually listen and help I could have been properly diagnosed two years prior to my actual diagnosis! He a very inside the box thinker IMO.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1258435].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 7, 2012

Dr Shojania is the best rheumatologist doctor in bc, my mother-in-law is being treated by him she was losing the use of her hands and now with medication she feels normal NO pain.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1258434].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 20, 2010

Dr. Shojania is a true physician - he shows considerate, compassion, and benevolence for his patients. He does not tolerate people who come to him who are not genuinely sick. I was diagnosed with RA and not able to walk for 3 months until he treated me with Remicade and now I walk for hours and do Pilates and circuit training. He is my saviour.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1258433].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 4, 2010

My GP referred me to Dr. Shojania as she thought I might have lupus. Had my appointment this morning and was very impressed. Dr. Shojania read through all the information sent to him by my GP, asked me questions and then asked for anything else that I felt might be relevant. AND he listened to what I said! Had a brief examination and then he gave me his diagnosis. I asked further questions as to what the key markers are for lupus etc. and he took the time to explain. I found him to be very polite, helpful and knowledgeable.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1258432].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 29, 2009

I have nothing but good things to say. It took a while to get to see Dr. Shoj. and because of how poorly I was doing it took a while to get to a functioning place. I have found him to be one of the best Dr.s. I've felt that he cares about my wellbeing both as a dr and as a person. I've never been "rushed" out of the office but rather had any and all questioned answered no matter how small. I would and have recommended him numerous times. It's been a long road but with all of the support I'm living a much better quality of life.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1258431].votes_count ]]