Rate Dr. Eric Carkner

Dr. Eric Carkner's Ratings

I only wish I had not waited so long to see Dr. Carkner and have the operation to treat my L4/L5 herniated disk (18 months after being injured). PT, chiropracty and steroid shots all offered some relief, albeit temporary. I had consulted two doctors here in Rhode Island and was tentative about having them operate on me, but after a doctor here recommended Dr. Carkner and I met with him, I was ready to go. Unlike another commenter, I did not have to wait very long for surgery once I'd made the decision to proceed. He is amazing - kind, smart, responsive and informative. In addition to his superb medical training, he first studied mechanical engineering and worked as a mechanical engineer! Although everyone must make their own decision about surgery or no surgery, for those who decide to proceed with surgery - I recommend without reservation Dr. Carkner and New England Baptist. They make an amazing team!

Submitted July 28, 2014 | flag

Very down to earth and honest. Very easy to talk to. He will do what he thinks is proper for his patient not his bottom line.

Submitted Jan. 27, 2014 | flag

This guy rocks. Needed surgery for a herniated disk, and he fixed me up...I know that another doctor working in his practice needed back surgery, and Dr. Carkner performed it. Only downside...it takes a long time to get scheduled, both to be seen and to be operated on...but worth the wait!

Submitted May 23, 2013 | flag

Too many good things to say. He gave my husband his life back. Great surgeon with a bed side manner that I have never seen in a surgeon.

Submitted Jan. 15, 2013 | flag

Ecellent doctor very thorough and took the time to explain exactly what was going to happen and how i would feel after the surgery I had a cervical fusion of C4-7 all symptoms are gone and i am pain free i am back to work and feeling great

Submitted Feb. 9, 2012 | flag

After going through a lot of conservative treatment,my quality of life was given back to me after much needed spine surgery!

Submitted Aug. 22, 2011 | flag

Dr. Carkner is fantastic. He explains everything in a way that patients can understand. He is the most personable doctor I have ever had. He genuinely cares. I highly recommend him!

Submitted April 18, 2011 | flag

excellent doctor, good bedside manner, genuine concern for patients well being, very good pain management

Submitted July 26, 2009 | flag

I've now undergone lumbar spinal surgery with Dr. Carkner twice - the first time for an L4-5 microdiscectomy, and the second time for another L4-5 microdiscectomy (re-herniated) and an L3-4 microdiscetomy. I have nothing but positive things to say about him. He was professional, and took time to listen to my concerns and answer my questions about each surgery. I would even say that he is somewhat conservative when it comes to recommending surgery (unlike the first surgeon I consulted with at another hospital). True, he is a young surgeon, but my fears were assuaged after hearing that he performs 4-5 microdiscectomies each month, and that he was fellowship trained in spine surgery at the New England Baptist Hospital. Of course, the most important thing is the result: I am incredibly happy that I chose to have the surgery, as I have so far had excellent results. Just a side note: both of my surgeries at the Baptist went like clockwork – surgery is down to a science over there!

Submitted Oct. 3, 2007 | flag