Rate Dr. Phillip R. Fleshner

Dr. Phillip R. Fleshner's Ratings

This man, together with the gastroenterologist who pushed me into this surgery, ruined my life. For the colectomy and J-pouch surgery, he performed an outmoded and primitive technique of scraping out the entire rectum--called a mucosectomy--which once was thought to avoid cancer but has been found to make no difference except to increase incontinence in the patient's life. I was not informed there was an alternative tissue-sparing option done with staplers that has better outcome. Surgeon at Cleveland Clinic said this operation is hardly done, especially in people over 50. I had to have an emergency laparotomy after the hookup for infection. Secondly, this is rare, but the colectomy left me with such malabsorption that I have to be on TPN the rest of my life. I have "functional short bowel syndrome" although no small intestine was removed and is not accounted for by the pouchitis I also have. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles2780069/ www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc1570587/

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2166603].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 15, 2013

Dr. Fleshner is the best surgeon! My quality of life has greatly improved since her performed my surgery. He does not waste time, and his serious somewhat brash personality might come across as rude, but he actually has a great sense of humor. I would much rather have a skilled "rude" surgeon cutting me open, than a less skilled surgeon with great bedside manner. He is amazing!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2166602].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 26, 2011

Best doctor ever for this. At a time when I was literally almost dying, he saved my life. Eight years later and life is good! He has a vey casual manner and that worked for me.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2166601].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 9, 2011

This man saved my life. I have an advanced case of crohn's and my intestines were mangled. He performed a surgery on me that most would have screwed up. He is a genius and has my utmost respect!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2166600].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 18, 2010

Dr. Fleshner was the rudest most insentive doctor I have ever met. He needs to take a good long look in the mirror and think about how he treats patients. I have had many surgeries and met many doctors in my life and he would rate at the very bottom. His behavior is inexcusible.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2166599].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 18, 2010

Simply the best. My first surgeon did his best but didnt know what to do after 2 surgeries, he then referred me to Dr. Fleshner. Fleshner took over and saved my life! Now I just go get checked up every once in a while to hear his jokes. He is the best colon-rectal surgeon and always caring.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2166598].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 14, 2009

This surgeon saved my life. I unfortunately live in San Diego and had to have surgery for my Crohn's disease. My surgeon didn't know what he was doing and I got sicker than ever. Finally, I was referred to Dr. Fleshner and he saved my life. He has the BEST bed-side manner and he knows what he is doing. He works out of Cedar's Senai in Los Angeles and I've recommended two friends to him who also had great results. If you know anybody who has to have surgery for colitis and/or crohn's or colon surgery, this guy knows what he is doing. Thank you Dr. Fleshner :-)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2166597].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 8, 2009

This doctor is excellent! I hate doctors so I don't give this compliment often. He took such good care with my husband...i can't thank him enough. If we ever have to go through this surgery again I would only see dr. Fleshner.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2166596].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 20, 2008

He is actually a colo-rectal surgeon, not a GI. He saved my child's life. We would have gone anywhere in the country for the very best but we didn't have to, he was here! If you need j-pouch surgery he is the man to do it. I know many others who have had surgery elsewhere, including the MAYO clinic, and have had poor outcomes. Everyone who I know that has gone to Dr. Fleshner has had a great outcome. He is always on time. He doesn't offer up very much information so be sure to come with your questions ahead of time. And he doesn't take many insurance plans. But when it comes to this surgery you don't want to mess around, spend the money!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2166595].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 7, 2008

By far the best there is. This man saved my life.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2166594].votes_count ]]