Rate Dr. Pramila Rao

Dr. Pramila Rao's Ratings

Dr. Rao has been my family practitioner my entire life. However, when I visited her as a young adult with a potential naval piercing infection, she glared me, prescribed me an antibiotic (without examining me - a quick glance and then a glare into my face) and told me to remove the jewellery at once. I had an unsettling feeling about removing the jewellery midst infection, so I went to a walk in doctor for another opinion. They told me absolutely do not remove the jewellery until the irritation heals, because you can seal in the infection and make it much worse. In conclusion, she is quiet careless and allows her personal opinion of her patients to stand in the way of proper care. Furthermore, her staff have lost my blood work results twice within one year. Her receptionist nurses laugh at patients when they are not in the waiting room, in front of other patients. In general, visiting the office of Dr. Rao is a very unpleasant and unhelpful waste of time.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390609].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 15, 2013

My file was transferred to Dr. Rao after my family doctor left her practice. I would not recommend her as an effective physician and if I had a choice, I would have another doctor. I have suffered from Diabetes Type 2 for over 10 years. Up until last year, my sugars were quite high. Dr. Rao threatened insulin which I did not want. After I did my own research online, I went to see her with a list of other medications she could use as an adjunctive. Unfortunately Dr. Rao felt differently, and I had to fight tooth and nail to get her to prescribe these medications. She even sat in front of me and repeated to me as she wrote in my medical file...that I was making up excuses as to why I could not exercise. All I said to her was I did not care for that particular exercise but could enjoy exercising in my own way. She made me feel 10 years old and I am 48. If you have a choice, stay away. If there were an abundance of doctors in the city, I would choose another.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390608].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 29, 2013

I am writing a second review of Dr. Rao now that I have been with her for several years and can make a more informed review of her and her continuity of care. What I first perceived as a compassionate competent doctor has sadly turned out to be more like most of how other reviewers have perceived her. She is a wonderful doctor as long as you NEVER question her direction of care for you. I have witnessed her be extremely unprofessional (yelling at other patients through her door) and has also yelled at me for asking to look into other ways of possibly treating me.She has made me promises of care in front of other Specialists and even her Medical Residents but once they are gone(out of the picture)she goes back on her word. She is horrible and if I didn't have to be with her as a patient due to lack of other doctors in Thunder Bay I would no longer be a patient there. Her staff I find are amazing under such horrible direction. Let 'the patient beware'-don't go to her if she is walk in.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390610].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 28, 2012

Dr Rao was my family doctor for my son and I went in with my newborn baby she was terribly rude to me infront of everyone in the waiting room. My 12 year old said lets go mom. Then she gave my baby a needle and was nothing but cold insensitive towards him.. my oldest son and was so upset and un comfortable. I called and took her off as our doctor, my son did not want to go back to her, we now found a new one. Dr Rao is insensitive and very cold to children. I would never recommend her.All Dr Rao did while my baby cried was look in her book, no comforting words!All she said was it is only going to get worse. I had Dr Chung as our family doctor before her and she was wonderful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390607].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 2, 2011

Caring but always rushing. Her diagnoses are very quickly offered and worry me, especially after a few have been reversed. I actually have ended up feeling guilt when my body hasn't responded to a treatment like she expected it to - she seemed so annoyed. But she is smart and generally quite kind, so my advice is to be very prepared with your questions when you see her.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390606].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 28, 2010

Doesn't listen to patient concerns. Feel like I'm wasting my time even going to see her because she blows you off. I usually go to a walk in clinic instead.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390605].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 13, 2010

AMAZING! I have been seeing her thoughout my childhood (I am know 21). She is very throughough with all of my medical issues including my very complex diabetes, AND my idiopathic pancreatitis. I just recently found out that I am pregnant, and she has been nothing but amazing though the entire thing, and offered to be there for the entire process and delivery. She always smiles at me and we can openly laugh and joke about anything. I think she is the most wonderful doctor I have ever had, and I enjoy seeing her. I have never had any issues with booking appointments, obtaining doctor's letters for insurance and travel. Her exams are always gentile, and she takes her time. I plan on seeing her for as long as possible.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390604].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 12, 2009

I have been seeing this doctor for three years now, and have found it nearly impossible to get an appointment with her. It usually takes me 3 to 6 months to get in. I have been struggling with some health issues, and have asked on several occasions to go forward with extensive bloodwork, but she refuses to write me a referral to get bloodwork until I go for my full physical, 6 months from now. That blood work will take time, and an additonal amount of time to get back into the office to see her. If she is kind and gentle with her geriatric patients, she certainly isn't with her patients under 30. I am currently seeking a doctor anywhere in Ontario so that I don't have to see her anymore. I am only seeing her because my old doctor sadly moved out of Thunder Bay. Do not see Dr. Rao.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390603].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 30, 2008

She's the best, questions thoroughly, follows up, supportive in every way

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390602].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 7, 2008

This doctor is very rude, insensitive, and lacks empathy and bedside manner. On most visits, Dr. Rao just writes into her charts, then tells you "only one problem per visit", and shuffles you out the door without any resolution to the big picture. I get better care at a walk-in clinic! She habitually yells at her patients and I would not recommend this doctor to anyone.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390601].votes_count ]]