Rate Dr. Joan Lopatka

Dr. Joan Lopatka's Ratings

Recent staff has been quite friendly. Lopatka is rarely on time, but 20 mins late isn't the worst I've seen in doctors so 3/5 rating for that. She seems unwilling to learn about things I've asked her about (baby-led weaning, child's first dental appointments), and she doesn't even try to make my kid's experience in any way positive. In fact she loudly shushed my 18mo old who was sick/crying with a high fever, almost like she couldn't handle being near a sick child and was halfway out the door when giving her "advice". All in all I'm looking for a new pediatrician.

Submitted Sept. 12, 2014 | flag

After calling this office twice a week for over 44 days, this office could still not produce a referral. The new doctor is no longer accepting new patients and I now need to travel an additional 18km to another pediatrician and get an entirely new referral by family physician as her office is incapable of generating the document. "I'm too busy", "When I get around to it" is what I am quoted after repeatedly asking. Please avoid this office as they clearly think they are Hollywood movie stars that are too good for common people.

Submitted Sept. 6, 2013 | flag

I have been taking my children here since 1998. She has always been fantastic and taken the time needed to answer our questions and concerns. When I was worried about my daughter and her holding her breath until she passed out it was Dr. Lopatka that recognized I needed to hear from someone else that she was going to be ok and so she sent us to a specialist. I am very thankful for her and all she has done for us over the years. She goes out of her way to make your children feel comfortable. I personally have never had to wait longer than 10 minutes to see her. When I had another child in 2010 there was no doubt that I would be taking him to see this fantastic woman! I love that she knows her limitations we have recently had an emergency situation with my 14 year old and she recognized right away that it was time for her to see a gyno and that she no longer needed her pediatrician!

Submitted July 25, 2012 | flag

If you want a doctor that treats your child like a business transaction then this is the place to take your child. It doesn't take much to distract a child or even talk to a child so they aren't scared to be in the doctors office and Dr.Lopatka does non of this. I realize that you are there to do a job which is determine whether everything is okay with your patients but just add a little bit of interest in the patient outside of the normal box thinking and I am certain the children would not scream as much as they currently do when they visit you (and this is an extremely health two year old so imagine a child that really does need care!).

Submitted March 29, 2011 | flag

I think Dr.Lopatka is one of the better doctors out there! The only downside to seeing her is the length of time you have to wait for an appointment...3-4 months is way to long to wait to get an appointment..Maybe she could improve this by taking on less patients:)

Submitted Nov. 19, 2010 | flag

In hospital I didn't find Dr.Lopatka that personable but thought I would give her a chance. We wait a bit to get in but what doctor comes without a wait? I am glad we gave her the second chance. She is thorough and answers all my MANY questions. She sent us for further evaluation immediately when she felt there may be a concern - turns out baby if fine but I am impressed to have a family doctor who is thinking about early detection and prevention rather than ignoring concerns. I am confident that we are in good hands and I would recommend her to a friend.

Submitted July 7, 2010 | flag

I really like Dr. Lopatka and the most important part is the kids really like her as well.

Submitted May 30, 2010 | flag

When I would bring my son in to see Dr. Lopatka, she would brush off my concerns and would tell me I am just a worried young mom and he's fine (maybe give me yet another antibiotic prescription - which he is now allergic to). The next day, we would be sitting in emergency. Turns out, he needed surgery and she either didn't care to check, or wasn't able to diagnose what was bothering him. Needless to say, I now take him to see our family doctor who addresses every concern, is ALWAYS on time and makes us feel like our health matters.

Submitted May 29, 2010 | flag

I find the doc is always in a hurry. She is almost always ready to open the door when I try to clarify some doubts. As first time parents we need all the support from a personal like her and I find that she lacks that. She may be knowledgeable but not patient enough. In my point of view a doctor must make the patient(in this case parents…at least the first timers) feel comfortable and connected. We as new parents need some good optimistic caring words and some encouragement from experts like her to make us feel that we are doing the right thing.

Submitted April 26, 2010 | flag

I would not recommend Dr Lopatka. She labeled my premature baby boy as 'failure to thrive' and never found out why. He stayed at 20 pounds for more than 22 months! With more than 1 incorrect diagnoses, we refuse to return to see her. We are happy with his current team of specialists at the Stolley Hospital. In my opinion she is not up to date on new procedures, or new medications. She also did not advise us on available programs that are out there and we, as first time parents, had to them find on our own.

Submitted April 10, 2010 | flag