Dr. Mark N. Hadley

Grad. Year: 1982

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 01/08/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 3.6 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 35 reviews. Dr. Mark N. Hadley has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: does dr. hadley deal with scoliosis?    Email me    Answer it

Neurosurgeon-related: nervous system, cervical and lumbar spine problems, brain tumors, neurovascular problems, peripheral nerve problems, neurological surgery, brain and spinal cord tumors, skull-base surgery, brachytherapy, aneurysm surgery, epilepsy surgery, neurological surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5564464
16/06/14 5 5 5 5 I woke up today pain free and with a smile on my face thanks to Dr. Hadley. I was an active 42 year old mother and wife until I suffered a herniated disc in my cervical spine 14 months ago. I tried physical therapy, acupuncture and eventually became a regular at the Pain Clinic waiting for my next facet injection. My days were consumed with chronic pain and my social schedule eventually revolved around my pain meds. 3 weeks ago Dr. Hadley performed ACDF surgery and I woke up free from the headache I suffered with for over a year. I am blessed to have such a kind and caring surgeon who is responsible for giving me my life back.
RID: 4789013

06/02/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' rating (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 3.6  Respond
RID: 2599947
26/03/13 5 5 5 5 I've been seeing Dr. Hadley for 3 years now and he has never been rude or arrogant. He is very knowledgeable and concerned about my health. He has always been punctual, goes over every detail, and discusses my condition on my level so I can understand. He answers all my questions. He stated he is NOT God, but he is using his God given talents. He has given me his direct e-mail address and cell number to call if I have any concerns/questions. After 3 years it looks like surgery is due. I have no problems trusting God and Dr. Hadley with this.
RID: 2050546
18/04/12 5 5 5 5 I am from Auburn the doctor in Auburn messed me up, not even a year later I am having the surgery again. Dr Hadley saved my life, He is a very kind, honest man! I enjoyed his staff, his team and everybody I had to deal with. I honestly believed he saved my life. I was in pain everyday of my life, did not know where to turn to next. I meet Dr Hadley He was very open in this is what we should do, and assured me he would take excellent care of me . and he did... I do NOT know what I would have done without him and his staff.. I am a young single mother of three children wanting my life back. Thank you in so many ways Dr Hadley for doing that!! I work at a doctors office if anybody ask my opinion, I will refer them to Dr Hadley in a heart beat!!! Thanks again for everything
RID: 1692750
20/01/12 5 5 5 5 I am. 38yo RN who had a rare cervical tumor C2-C6. I was very blessed to ave been referred to Dr. Hadley by another MD that he had performed surgery on. Dr. Hadley was awesome! He was honest, up front, kind, and caring! Although I trusted God for healing I know that he used Dr. Hadley as an instrument of healing! Dr. Hadley saved me, he touched my life in such an unforgettable way. I had spent years serving others sometimes without gratitude. I wanted to be one to tell Dr. Hadley Thank You! Thanks for your skill, your talent, your faith, and what you did for me! I plan to make full use of my life. Thank you my friend for fulfilling Gods will in the earth. I am healing and forever humbled and grateful!
RID: 1631649
11/11/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Hadley is the incredibly talented and I would suggest him to anyone and everyone who needs his expertise. I had my neck fused with him and it has been nothing but perfect since having the surgery. I am truly grateful!
RID: 1331871
09/01/11 5 5 5 5 I am 20 yrs old& in aug was diagnosed with a tumor attched to my spinal cord in my cervical spine. No surgeon in my home city would even discuss doing the surgery and told me straight forwardly that they wouldnt do such a risky surgery. I met with doctor along the east side of the U.S. to get opinions. Immediately following my appointment with Dr.H I knew he was the surgeon I wanted to do my surgery. His confidence who some people wrongly mistake for arrogance was comforting& gave me& my family relief as other doctors added to the stress He called personally to discuss dates for the surgery he was always there asking if i needed anything he treated me like a daughter& i couldnt be happier with my decision he even called me from church while i was in the hospital to check on me. Im proud to say that after him having to make a risky call during my surgery in sept i am back in college& back to normal life! no limitations! I cant thank dr.hadley enough for what he has done for me :)
RID: 1325104
01/01/11 2 1 1 1 I had been told by other doctors and former patients that Hadley was arrogant, rude, condescending, truly believed he was "God", and insulting. All of this was an understatement. Hadley goes out of his way to be hurtful. His staff and resident are scared to death of him. Hadley is a terror that no human being should have to be subjected to. His arrogance is his "blind spot" and his patients have paid and will continue to pay for that very large short-coming.
RID: 1258493
25/09/10 1 2 1 5 He might be a brilliant surgeon, he makes for a rude arrogant egocentric human being.Basically he told me to shut up and let him talk.I was not allowed questions.I do know he read the MRI. He told me I was too much risk and refused to help me.He told me to find myself an internist and after I had done that I could come back. He said fat people have the problems i do.Herniated discs.I cried after he left.Lucky for me one of his residents took over and operated three days later. Great guy by the name of Okor. My husband who is a physician , could not believe how arrogant and rude this hardly was. Strutting around in his designer suit and shoes. He knows he is good ,he makes good money and is on top of the heap! I believe his attitude comes and goes , according to the kind of patients he has.Maybe middle aged fat women are just not his thing....
RID: 1235997
24/08/10 5 5 5 5 After 10 years of numerous doctors and treatments I was frustrated and angry. A friend had told me about Dr. Hadley, so off I went to see him. I did go through all of these comments before I went to see him. I got NONE of the rude, arrogant behavior that I read. I saw a man who explained ALL the options to me, let me decide on what I wanted to do, and truly cared about what I had to say and felt! I have never felt so much trust in a doctor before. I am having surgery Oct. 1. Gave me his cell phone number, email address for if I had any concerns before or after surgery. I think people get upset when they go in expecting him to tell them what the other doctors told them. You were sent to him for a reason, he is the best. So if he doesn't agree with your last doctors diagnosis and you don't like it then maybe you should go somewhere else. I am thrilled that I found him.
RID: 1235139
23/08/10 4 5 5 5 Operated on my lower back to relieve disk pressure on sciatic nerve in 2006. I had immediate relief. In August he correctly diagnosed and treated my 80-yr old Mother's SI joint inflammation when other doctors in her hometown of Decatur wanted to do back surgery for a bulging disk. She's doing well today with NO surgery. Dr. Hadley's a surgeon and prescribed a steroid shot and physical therapy, not surgery. I was impressed and his results have been fabulous!
RID: 1235035
23/08/10 1 1 1 1 No receptionist or assist. staff til 30 mins after appt. time. My primary MD felt I needed a specialist to help with spine disc problems and much pain. Made to feel like I was wasting MD time with no help, booted back to primary MD. We will try again with another specialist.
RID: 1080110
15/01/10 5 4 5 5 It has been 20 years since Dr. Hadley did surgery on my spine. Even then he was egotistical, but I found him to be an excellent surgeon. He put two metal plates in my lower spine and to this day I am pain free.
RID: 1012279
18/10/09 5 5 1 1 Dr Hadley, was arrogant, rude and dismissed any problems I had to nothing short of my being fat. I have multiple colapsed disc's, spinal arthritus, and several other spinal conditions. The physician who referred me said I showed actual spinal cord damage and thought I needed surgery to stabalize my neck. I felt like I was sent to a fast talking used car salesman who saw he could not make a profit so he humiliated me and sent me on my way. Dr Hadley went so far as to say he was great friends with my 2 referring physicians and they were just trying to help. I took this as an attempt to keep me from commenting to my referring physicians about his horrible conduct. This man has no concern for the individuals he sees. I would not let him do surgery on me ever. I am sure if there was a problem he would blame the patient.  Respond
RID: 1007098

11/10/09 1 2 1 1 Hadley is a pompous,uncaring technician. He is not a healer. He is unconcerned with your physical pain.He's done with you as soon as you are out of the operating room. Interns and Residents are scared to death of this ego-maniacal tyrant and humiliated in front of patients. He doesn't listen to patients and if you dare to question, you are waved away with a condescending phrase. A horrible experience overall and even though he is universally hailed as a fine surgeon, the experience was dreadful.
RID: 940494
19/07/09 5 5 5 5 We found Dr. Hadley and all the staff at UAB very helpful and made us feel as if we were the most important people in the hospital. We went there on just hope that my husband's low pressure headaches could be taken care of. Everyone did their best to do everything that was possible to help. We are back home and feeling better. Thanks again to everyone that touched our lives while we were at UAB.  See Responses
RID: 881247
07/05/09 3 5 3 5 Dr. Hadley is an extremely brilliant surgeon--the physicians I have talked to say he is one of the top three surgeons in the state. His personal manner is that of a true prima donna, but I overlook that in order to get access to his talent. He performed an L4/L5 nerve decompression in my back and completely cured the terrible pain I was experiencing. In reading the posts here, one sees extremely mixed opinions. I think that this is largely due to the fact that spine problems are very complex and often impossible to address successfully.
RID: 872775
28/04/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Mark Hadley did surgery on me once and treated me twice. I did excepionally well. I highly recommend him.  Respond
RID: 814994
05/03/09 4 4 4 5 After a disaster surgery by another neuro( Put a screw in the nerve root and left it there for 3 weeks until I demanded another MRI) I saw Dr. Hadley. The pain I was in was unrelenting and severe. He said the damage from the previous surgery couldn't be corrected but he could correct the severe spinal stenosis. I had had 7 lumbar surgeries when I finally saw him. I'd give anything if he had been the first and not the last. It has been 6 years since his surgery and I'm still 80% pain FREE...the remaining pain is due to the permanent damage from the other doctors mistake. He's not all that warm and fuzzy, yes he is arrogant, but he is an excellent neurosurgeon and I won't ever let another doctor besides him touch me again!
RID: 797743
23/02/09 4 4 5 5 The best of half a dozen specialists. I had a severe injury from lifting (afterwards painful to lift an 8 ounce glass), and had seen five specialists in New York City. Each doctor gave me the same office tests, and all asked me to point to where the pain was worst. All the New York doctors diagnosed lower back vertebra, even though the pain came from my pelvis. I have never had surgery, but when I went to Dr. Hadley after 2 1/2 years of pain, I told him to operate if it would help. He did the office tests, asked me to point to the pain, and immediately diagnosed that indeed the pain was originating from my pelvis and that I did not need surgery. He said I had pulled the pelvis apart on one side and that it had healed improperly, with the sciatic nerve caught in it. He sent me to a physical therapist who did manual traction to release the nerve (quick pain and immediate relief) and reseated the pelvis, exercises, etc. Dr. Hadley changed my life. Knowledgeable with simplest solution.
RID: 751624
29/12/08 3 3 1 1 Completely missed 2 level herniated disc. Was reviewing wrong MRI (was looking at pre-herniation films). Stated while reviewing the wrong films that I did not have a herniated disc. My wife politely corrected him about looking at the wrong MRI film and he became so angered he walked right out of the room and sent in his resident to discharge me. Was ARROGANT, RUDE, AND DISMISSIVE. Refused to believe that I had obvious neurological deficits. Had to see another neurosurgeon and within three days of visit with Dr. Hadley, had successful surgical repair of L-3/L-4, L-4/L-5 by the other neurosurgeon. These herniations were also evident on my myelogram, which Dr Hadley never even mentioned.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 712814
30/10/08 4 1 1 3 I was sent to Hadley by our local neurosurgeon. He told us the surgery I needed was too complicated for him. I had seen Hadley a couple of years earlier with neck pain. In two places I was bone on bone. The pain was unmanageable. Hadley told me there was nothing he could do and walked out. I cried. Without doubt it was the worst experience I have ever had with a Physician except for my second visit with him. I traveled to Germany and had two disks replaced in my neck. They told me when I arrived that they had never seen someone walking with the damage I had. Several years later I was having severe pain in my middle back. My urinary tract and digestive tract were shutting down. I was dieing. I was sent to Hadley again. he walked in and told me there was nothing he could do for my neck. He had not ever looked at my new MRIs. Came back and told me my back was fine and patted me on the back as he left. If you have a severe problem, he will not help because it might hurt success percentage.
RID: 670172
21/08/08 1 1 1 1 I AM A PHYSICIAN! Yet, he treated me like a fool. He didn't listen to my needs and merely shoved me off when he realized that there was no surgery for him to do... THE worst example of what a physician should be --> ALL EGO...NO COMPASSION.  Respond
RID: 663700
14/08/08 3 4 5 5 I went to Dr. Hadley in pain and now I am vertually pain free. I just in in my first ever 5k, thanks to him!
RID: 565352
14/04/08 5 5 5 5 A friend at work recommended I see Dr. Hadley because he had performed surgery on him several years ago and was very satisfied. I had exhausted my efforts before making an appointment with Dr. Hadley to get relief from my neck pain and headaches. My left arm, elbow and hand were also giving me pain. I had surgery in January, 2008 and have been very pleased with the results. Dr. Hadley and his staff were very knowledgeable and courteous. I highly recommend him.
RID: 504374
04/02/08 5 5 3 3 i have had back pain for 30 years. Every year it has been getting worse. Then along came foot pain last year. A local doctor diagnosed bulging dics in lumbar region. I forwarded MRI to Dr. Hadley based on an acquaintance's recommendation. Hadley insisted I needed a laminectomy on L-3,L-4 and L-5, NOT spinal fusion. Since his method was less intrusive and he was after all,a neurosurgeon,I opted for the laminectomy and drove 150 miles to his hospital. In the recovery room I immediately experienced numbness in the opposite foot which he poo-pooed and told me I had to expect things like this. he was arrogant and I was immediately sorry I had looked to him for help. 12 days after surgery my pain returned in right foot three times more painful than before surgery. My back pain is at the same degree as prior to surgery. Hadley has the air of one can do no wrong when,in fact,he is more than human. i am now seeing a local orthopedic surgeon and undergoing testing for future surgery!
Insurance: United Healthcare
Paid (or co-pay): $500
RID: 487087
17/01/08 5 4 5 5 Dr. Hadley performed an anterior cervical fusion with implant on me in 2001 with great success. Within 2 weeks of my diagnosis (after a year of pain) I had my operation and followed post op procedure with great outcome. I am now facing lumbar surgery due to stenosis and have returned to Dr. Hadley. Compression has been increasing since 2003. I followed the anti inflammatory and exercise regimen but knew I was headed to another surgery. Dr. Hadley called me with results of MRI and was straightforward, to the point and answered my questions. I will have the surgery, and have abundent faith that the outcome will as successful as my first surgery. While his bedside manner may not be touchy/feely warm and fuzzy I appreciate his approach, to the point, and his confidence, it instills faith in me.
RID: 472204
28/12/07 5 5 5 5 Dr. Hadley's knowledge and skills are superior, as evidenced by his entire medical history. Thank God for Dr. Hadley & other brilliant, dedicated doctors. Surgeons work long & hard hours & deserve our admiration. Dr. Hadley wears many hats in his line of duties, in addition to his hours in the operating room. He did cervical spine surgery on me in Jan. 2005. The surgery was successful. He displayed care & concern and rearranged his surgery schedule to do surgery on my neck ASAP. He met me in the surgery area & assisted in pushing my gurney into the surgical suite. His disiplay of confidence in his medical skills did not indicate arrogance. It did what he meant it to do; it reassured me and gave me a feeling of safety. He took time to talk to my family members and church supporters who were there. If one could not stand up straight & walk a straight line, or lift one's arms before surgery, but can afterwards, embrace it as success as I did.
RID: 433194
23/10/07 5 5 5 5 My experience with Dr. Hadley was nothing short of amazing. After being diagnosed with Chiari Syndrome, I was confused, scared and looking for help. From the moment he walked in the room, he put me at ease...after all I had been a college athlete and never so much as in the hospital before and now I was having brain surgery!? Dr. Hadley even gave me his personal cell phone number in case I needed to reach him prior to or after my surgery. He followed me very closely after my procedure and to this day we remain in touch. Never have I had a physician take such amazing care of me. I will forever be in debted to him.
RID: 342892
11/06/07 2 1 3 I had surgery with Dr. Hadley on 3/30.He was very encouraging that he could alleviate my leg and back pain which was due to stenosis.Now June 11,I continue to have a lot of low back pain & some leg pain.2nd post op visit today Dr. Hadley told me "how successful" the procedure was that he did on my back.When I tried to talk to him about my continued low back pain,he told me that HIS surgery was successful.That my low back pain was probably due to the fact that I am about 15-20 lbs overweight.That I needed to strengthen my core muscles and he proceeded to lie on the exam table and show me how to do a situp!I could tell that he was "done with me".He told me that any continued post op pain I was having was my fault and that I would need to exercise other than daily walking and PT which was not enough.I needed to be working out at the gym daily.One problem..I can't stand or sit longer than 30 minutes.He is arrogant.Doesn't care post operatively.I'm an RN.Wouldn't recommend him at all!
Paid (or co-pay): $200
RID: 317834
14/05/07 5 5 5 I cannot say enough good about our experience at the Kirklin Clinic and our visit with Dr Hadly and his Fellow, Dr Ryan Jewel. We were seen very promptly, the examination of my wife (which I witnessed) was thorough and the findings were consistent with our expectation. Dr Hadley is very busy and we did not expect or receive hand-holding or pampering. What we received was good advice, reassurance about the current condition and an open door to future treatment if WE thought it was needed. We had been encouraged by two friends who had been treated by Dr Hadley with excellent result. It is regrettable that most who post to these rating services are inspired by negative experiences while the many with good experiences don't feel "called" to participate. Maybe they're too busy getting on with their lives and playing golf. My advice? If you already know what your spine needs, do it yourself! If you want truly professional advice, visit Dr Hadley with confidence.
Paid (or co-pay): $25
RID: 267606
09/04/07 4 1 3 I had been told he was well qualified. He proceeded to tell me himself how terrific he was. After my unsuccessful surgery for spinal stenosis, he said his surgery was a success and the constant pain was my fault. He proceeded to demonstrate his exercise routine. His manner is arrogant and condescending as well as hurtful. Since my surgery I had heard many other negative remarks about him. I wish I had known about this before.
RID: 266456
08/04/07 1 1 4 Dr. Hadley gave my back surgery to a resident or at least someone besides himself. He was supposed to be in the room during surgery. Was he? This was a second surgery. He did first one and it was quite successful. I won three state golf championships afterward. After the last surgery done by his colleague, I have been in constant pain and am unable to even play golf or any sports and can do little exercise. Walking is painful. I have given up my membership in my Country Club.
RID: 122897
01/02/07 2 1 1 TOLD ME NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH ME OR MY MRI'S EVEN THOUGH I HAD HAD TWO POSITIVE DISCOGRAMS AND LATER DIAGNOSED WITH CERVICAL MYLEOPATHY (SPINAL CORD COMPRESSION). GAVE ME JUST ABOUT 10 MINUTES TO INSULT ME AND TELL ME THAT HE WAS NOT THE SHELL SVC. STATION THAT I COULD DRIVE UP AND HE JUST FIX EVERYTHING! MISDIAGNOSED A BROAD BASED GAIT DUE TO CORD COMPRESSION BY SAYING I LOOKED AS IF I WALKED LIKE I HAD BEEN RIDING A HORSE. VERY SARCASTIC. I FINALLY FOUND A DR. TO DIAGNOSE ME PROPERLY AND FIX MY NECK PROBLEM. IN PAIN, I LEFT CRYING AFTER BEING TOLD NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH ME. ARROGANT AND HURTFUL.
RID: 96598
17/01/07 1 1 3 Waited 2 mos for appt & 1 hr in waiting. Was finally taken to exam rm. A resident took basic info & did tests and said he would go tell Dr. what he thought (!?). Dr. H finally came 30 mins later, said that he didnt tell patients what to do, but talked with them. He then proceeded to not listen to a word I said or tried to say. Didn't read md reports provided (even that of his resident which he admitted he couldn't read!). 2 radiologists, 1 G.P., 1 chiro and 1 ortho MD all diagnosed bulg. discs and degen. disc dis. and sent me to a surgeon. Despite this, he said nothing was wrong except I needed to exercise (which he contradicted by saying I was the correct weight) and stop smoking. Seeing that I wasnt amused with his manner or diagnosis, he stated I might need pain shots in SI joint. Told him I had already had one & he said I was "defeatist" and left, referring me back to a chiropractor (who had already sent me to a MD). Told me "good luck" on the way out. I need it after that!  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user