Rate Dr. Mark R. Shaya

Dr. Mark R. Shaya's Ratings

I had back surgery for lumbar stenosis in May 2014. The results are amazing! Almost 5 months after surgery and I would say I am about 90% back to normal. Instant relief of the pain from day 1, as soon as I woke up from surgery. Dr. Shaya and personnel are patience, respectful and understanding. Would definitely recommend him!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2553427].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 26, 2014

I am a 50 year old female with neck and back pain for well over 10 years, I had a lumbar fusion in 2005 in another state. Since moving to Miami I had to seek help for the pain increase pain in my neck and arms, I was under the care of a local Doctor who treated me with therapy in his office for about two years and the pain continued. I did some research and came across Dr. Shaya and after some test and a few visits he recommended a cervical fusion and it was done in January 2013, the surgery was a success since the pain I was having is no longer there and I was able to return to work within 2 months . I had to follow up Dr. Shaya in 2014 for the lumbar and had to be operated in July 2014, I am currently recovering and but the initial complaint and pain I suffered from is no longer there. I have complete confidence that the second surgery is also successful. I most certainly would recommend Dr. Shaya as I have enough confidence in him to have had two procedure. Thank you Dr. Shaya

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2547024].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 22, 2014

Justiz surgery date September 3, 2014
I am very satisfied with my experience with Dr. Shaya. I was wheeled in to his office unable to walk. Dr. Shaya assessed my condition and decided to have me hospitalized due to the severity of my pain. I had , spinal stenosis, compressed nerves. Dr shaya was able to immediately pinpoint my problem. He was confident in his recommendation of surgery if I wanted any relief. Dr. Shaya has given me a new lease on a narcotic and pain free life. Most importantly I am able to walk!
Thank you Dr. Shaya but my 8 year old daughter thanks you most.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2546310].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 22, 2014

I was very satisfied with my experience with Dr. Shaya. I had herniated discs, spinal stenosis, compressed nerves and a sacral cyst. I was having back pain, along with bilateral burning nerve pain in the groin and thigh area to the point I was beginning to have no quality of life. I went to other doctors prior to meeting Dr. Shaya, and only Dr. Shaya was able to immediately pinpoint my problem with compressed nerves, etc. He was confident in his recommendation to me for surgery if I wanted any chance to get better. I had a bilateral laminectomy L3, L4, L5, S1 and foraminotomies where the nerves were decompressed. The tarlov cyst at S2 was shrunk down. (Dr Shaya is one of a few doctors in the country who is skilled in treating these kind of cysts). I have heard the horror stories out there with those who have had failed back surgery by other doctors, but Dr. Shaya was reassuring with his expertise. I was also impressed with Dr Shaya's no-nonsense approach and his accessibility and quick response to questions. He understands when patients are in pain and I was able to have my surgery promptly scheduled. Dr. Shaya was receptive and accommodating when it came to my medical needs and recovery in the hospital. I had my surgery about 6 months ago without any complications, and by my 3rd month I was starting to feel much better with significant improvement to the point where I felt I got my life back! For this, I am very grateful, and would highly recommend Dr. Shaya as a brilliant, thorough and compassionate surgeon. Thank you, Dr. Shaya!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2543783].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 20, 2014

I came to see Dr. Shaya after experiencing extreme numbness and tingling in my left left. Prior doctors treated it as a sciatica episode. After multiple injections, steroids, and physical therapy, my condition continued to deteriorate. I insisted on an MRI from my insurance company. I saw Dr. Shaya on a Wednesday afternoon when he read the MRI and he operated Friday morning. All that time I had been suffering and getting worse I had a spinal tumor growing around L4-S1 plus wrapping itself around my nerves and depriving them of blood flow. If it wasn't for Dr. Shaya my quality of life would have severely continued to deteriorate. I'm now 6 weeks out and rehabbing by jogging in my pool and doing Pilates. He's accessible, professional, caring, and direct. Truly, you could not possibly ask for more from a surgeon.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2533050].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 11, 2014

Very accessible, I showed up to office for a prescription and questions and his staff fit me right in. I had lumbar disc taken out in June and I feel very good, I had surgery at university hospital which was okay, I stayed there two days.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2511146].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 23, 2014

I had a disk in my neck. Surgery was yesterday, typing this in my hospital bed. Leaving home today. THe pain down my arm and under my shoulder blade is gone! Thanks to Dr. Shaya and his team.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2505021].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 19, 2014

Dr Shaya is a fine Surgeon, but doesn't place his I am perfect ego at the door. Because I did not heal as expected, I was told they no longer take my insurance and he refused to complete paperwork for the VA or Disability in a truthful manner. He placed a number of "I Don't Knows". When he darn well knew that I was no longer functional. He needs to get over himself and his % and realize patients do come before ego.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2489974].votes_count ]]

Submitted Aug. 9, 2014

Dr. Mark R. Shaya's response
Mr. Thomas, you require a surgery in your cervical spine. Your paperwork took over 40 minutes to complete and I actually filled it out with you present, so your review is completely bogus. Regarding the "unknowns", I have no idea how you're going to do if you are delaying a needed surgery in your cervical spine.

Submitted Oct. 6, 2014

Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. I was first diagnosed with a bulging L5 disk, spondylolisthesis in 1992, and visited a surgeon (MRI, surgery not recommended), a chiropractor, a network chiropractor (helpful), and a physical therapist, who gave me simple exercises which eliminated the pain for 20 years. In the fall of 2013, the pain was relentless and PT was no longer helpful. After a visit to the ER and a CT scan, I was given pain killers and a list of a dozen surgeons and advised to consider surgery as soon as possible. I researched the surgeons listed. Dr. Shaya was consistently top-of-the-list. The surgery eliminated the pain. Dr. Shaya explained my condition and answered my questions clearly, and his staff was a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend Dr. Shaya.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][627254].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 20, 2014

Dr. Shaya is a genious to say the least. He treated my case with sense of urgency and gave it to me straight. I met a few Neuros not really sure what to do and after meeting him I was confident that he was the best . I believe he gave me the best advice and my pain was completely gone after my surgery just as he explained my neck is almost perfect 3 days after my surgery ... Love you Doc!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][627253].votes_count ]]