Rate Dr. Thomas L. Toth

Dr. Thomas L. Toth's Ratings

My husband and I found Dr. Toth to be a great fit for us. He was compassionate, gentle, and kind during an incredibly difficult and heartbreaking time in our lives & marriage. I felt he understood the complexity and pain of the choices we were making. I think his intelligence that can be misconstrued as arrogance, but I always found him to be humble. He realizes that he is only a doctor and not all-powerful. I am a cancer nurse and know all too well how limited medicine is! Every baby he helps concieve is a miracle and he knows it. Not only did he call when we found out I was pregnant, he also sent a hand-written letter. Another example- I went to visit him after my 6 week post-partum visit, unexpectedly, & he took time from his busy day to meet my babies. I thought he might cry, he looked so happy! He then said how much it meant to him. It was clear he'd had bad news to deliver that day. How can you not appreciate that kind of compassion in a doctor??? He is great.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2168566].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 20, 2011

I met with Dr. Toth a lot during my 1.5 years with MGH from '09-'10. I found Dr. Toth to be excellent, competent, professional and sweet. I do not believe the comment about the stats being rigged, I was 40 and at least 20 pounds overweight and he took me on. My chances dwindled during the time that I was there, and I had 2 pregnancy failures. But Dr. Toth stuck by me and gave me a 3rd IVF and I hit a homerun! I have thanked him over and over but he credits me for making it happen. He is a very sweet and humble person and understands where we women are coming from. So please don't pay any mind to the negative comments, I was there long enough to see him in action and be in his presence to confidently say that he is very sensitive and incredibly bright. Maybe this is why he is somewhat misunderstood. My husband and I had a very positive relationship with Dr. Toth and I can't say enough good things about him and his wonderful staff. They have a great team at MGH. :)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2168565].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 19, 2011

MGH success rates are rigged. They only take/keep the patients with higher chances already. It has little to do with them.Other places like Boston IVF take even more difficult patients so MGH actually has lower effective success rates since they don't take more difficult cases. BY the way, I had a baby through another fertlity center but had no success with them.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2168564].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 10, 2011

Dr. Toth was wonderful in my long process of fertility (now pregnant with twin girls!). He and his staff were top notch. He was clinical explaining all his thoughts as we changed through the treatment. He was very professional, empathetic, caring and understood my needs and changed them along the way during the tough part when we just couldn't figure out why it still wasn't working. Though he had to work within the parameters of our healthcare, he was more than I could have asked for. I would recommend him and especially his nurse Julie Gold to anyone. They are even just great people. Dr. Toth made me and my husband laugh with his hysterical analogies...baseball ones are his favorite. haha.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2168563].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 5, 2011

My husband and I recently met with Dr. Toth and it was a very positive experience. I am very surprised with the reviews I have read, not my experience in any way, If he seems arrogant, I think it is simply he is super smart. He did not sugar coat anything and he was a salesman but also founded one of the most highly rated IVF centers in the area, so there is no question he is one of the best! He was extremely nice and professional and I was extremely comfortable as was my husband. i look forward to working with him and his team.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2168562].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 26, 2010

My husband and I were exceedingly disappointed with Dr. Toth. We expected highly professional and skilled treatment from MGH. But instead, we were dismissed before it seems we walked in the door. From what I have heard, MGH cares more about their stats than for helping challenging cases. Dr. Toth acted in a salesmanlike but also condescending manner. My husband and I are educated people but we got very little feedback from Dr. Toth. It was like pulling teeth to get him to speak about how he came to his conclusions. We had to figure out what tests we needed and push for them. Very strange experience. His staff is very kind but there is no reaching out and providing information. There should be handouts of commonly asked questions and such. I would not recommend Dr. Toth or MGH.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2168561].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 16, 2010

Dr. Toth is a pro. We did 2 rounds of IVF with him and 1 was successful. He personally called to congratulate us for the pregnancy. He is ultra smart and prepares you for every scenario, good and bad. He explains everything simply and while this could be construed as condescending it is what you need. Some of his staff are not as responsive to calls as they should be waiting 2-3 days to return a call which can negatively impact your experience (and presumably your results).

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2168560].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 12, 2010

I'm shocked that people would think Dr. Toth is unfriendly... My husband and I find him almost too nice. He always seems sincere and always willing to listen which I think makes him run over in his appointments. We have had one successful pregnancy through IVF with Dr. Toth and are about to start another cycle in hopes for a second. At the end of the day he knows his stuff and has great success rates!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2168559].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 7, 2010

I found Dr. Toth and his staff to be very friendly, extrememly realistic, and not afraid to give someone bad news if necessary. And if you are dong fertility treatments, you need to be prepared for bad news! It goes without saying that Dr. Toth is at the top of his field. He does not mince words, which I think is often misinterpreted by others as being "unfriendly." All this coming from a 41 year old, who after 2 unsuccessful IVF attempts was told by Dr. Toth that my eggs were too compromised to try again. He did not want me to go through another round knowing that my chances of conceiving were basically zero. We are now happily considering adoption, and Dr. Toth helped get us to this point, and I am grateful to him. To us, this was not giving up, but moving forward.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2168558].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 28, 2009

He might not be the most charming person but he knows his stuff and got the job done. My husband and I were giving up hope of ever conceiving a child. Dr. Toth took our case and now we're expecting twins. At the end of the day what mattered most to us was having a competent doctor not necessarily the friendliest. Knowledge and expertise should come first and Dr. Toth did not let us down. He delivered in every aspect and we would highly recommend him and his team at MGH to anyone suffering from infertility.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2168557].votes_count ]]