Rate Dr. Franklin R. Polun

Dr. Franklin R. Polun's Ratings

I've been seeing Dr. Polun now for about 2-3 years, and my feelings are that he is a remarkable podiatrist -- by far the best of the three I have seen in my lifetime. Whenever I inquire about a problem, such as an ingrown toenail or some sort of allergic breakout on my foot, dry skin, what-have-you, he gives an honest assessment, recommending the most conservative approach, though informed by the latest and most sophisticated diagnostic devices. In the case of my feet misalignment, Dr. Polun suggested orthotics, which he uses a motion-scanning device to create, that also maps foot pressure on a pad he asks me to step on -- he knows precisely how to craft the ideal orthotics. And not only are his orthotics better than the cast-made variants I have bought from other podiatrists (costing me around $150 a pop), his were about $70ish. In the instance of the weird allergic response on my feet, just recently he recently gave me two brand-new-to-the-market samples, free, to try, one of which reduces itching and the other of which reduces dryness. I bring this up because Dr. Polun has probably let me try over 15 different medication samplers at no cost over the years I have seen him, and it has helped me navigate through the good medications and the bad without having to financially commit to any that don't work (it can add up without samples). Of the three minor surgeries Dr. Polun has performed on me, they have all ended up well, and I experienced almost nonexistent discomfort during them and while they healed. On top of all this, he's a really friendly person, who genuinely seems concerned about my well-being. He personally called me after a laser removal of a spot on my foot, to check how I was doing. He also made a point to ask about my other medical problems, and tries to see if he can assist with those if at all possible, by referral or by racking his brain and giving me some ideas. I am very satisfied with my experience with him as a physician, and I would recommend him to anyone because he is a genuinely decent human being as well.

As far as his staff goes, they are fantastic. There is not one time, ever, I have had any problem with them at all. In fact, dealing with them is a delight. They always call me to remind me about an appointment, every single time over the past 2 years (they even leave a message, rather than just letting it stand as a missed call), they are very accommodating and understanding when it comes to scheduling and canceling, and they always seem to be in an upbeat mood. I can say Dr. Polun doesn't just hire anyone, but the most qualified people to provide a solid patient experience.

All in all, I give Dr. Polun's practice, for both him and his staff, a 5 across the board. Thank you all very much.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2592989].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 24, 2014

This guy acts like he's your best friend to get your money! He will slap every device known to man on your feet, and he gets a kickback from this. Don't be fooled - he will do as little as possible so you'll keep coming back and dishing out the money. Don't EVER let him perform surgery on you! He'll use whatever company will pay him the most - not what's best for you. Watch out for this guy - he'll destroy your feet & blame it on your feet. Let's put the blame where it belongs - Dr. Polun ruins lives.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2519739].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 30, 2014

With genetically bad feet, I was in need of a podiatrist. I researched online and found Dr. Franklin Polun's credentials standing out. My first appointment gave me assurance in Dr.Polun's staff and in his knowledge and competence. I am, also, a healthcare professional for 41 years and have seldom seen the patient/doctor relationship so demonstrated by Dr. Polun. He is thorough in explaining the diagnosis and treatment plan and readily available for any questions. I underwent surgery at Suburban Hospital on 11/4/13 and cannot praise the entire surgical team enough. Dr. Polun sat beside me for a lengthy time prior to being wheeled into the surgical suite covering the details of my surgery and expectations post-operatively. What a finely choreographed unit they are-preoperatively, intraoperatively and postoperatively. Dr. Polun is only a phone call away and his office staff, especially Carla, have satisfied my requests as has Rebecca, his surgical coordinator. My choice was right.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1868828].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 13, 2013

I absolutely love the DC Front Office/Receptionist. She is very polite, pleasant, knowledgeable, and extremely helpful, and is the very reason I come to the DC Office vs Potomac. The doctor was wonderful spent a great deal of time address my issues and concerns, and is knowledgeable.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1868827].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 8, 2013

Aside from being very competent, Dr. Polun is a genuinely delightful person. He spent a lot of time with me and answered all my questions. He is just an all-around nice guy and I would not hesitate to recommend him to my family and friends who are in need of a competent and pleasant podiatrist. Dr. Polun's assistant, Rebecca, is also a very capable and caring person; and his office staff project a friendly atmosphere.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1868826].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 6, 2013

BEWARE!! Dr Polun did surgery for a hammertoe. He botched it - now I can't run - I can barely walk. Two other professionals have documented the fact that he did a "quick fix" and did not correct the base problem. I have massive swelling and pain. I have a serious complication. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Also - didn't have neuromas he was treating for 8 months with alcohol injections. Now I have to have revision surgery! Dr. Polun doesn't acknowledge the fact he's stolen 2 years of my life and thousands of dollars. When I complained about a floating toe, he put me in a device to "stretch" the tendons and reduce scar tissue. This company, Dynasplint, has been put out of business by the federal government for FRAUD. I'm sure he's missing those large commission checks! Next solution - put a band aid on it! I could go on and on about the lies, deception, and the condescending manner in which he treats you. This man is a business, not a healer.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1868829].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 18, 2013

It was a really unfortunate experience. The wait time was an hour and half. When I finally was called in, he did not bother to wash his hands or use any kind of sanitizer after dealing with another patient's foot. He then proceeded to go about his task ignoring my questions and reminding me countless times how much my visit would cost. My condition ended up getting worse despite my countless visits, and I ended up paying more than necessary for no results. Do yourself a favor and go to someone who actually went to medical school, as opposed to podiatry school. I definitely suggest a dermatologist.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1868825].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 17, 2013

Doctor and staff are very helpful, this is a very busy practice so expect to take your time, I am sure the doctor will do the same for you. I wouldn't recommend other doctor in MD. I have been a patient for almost 7 years and I never felt the other way.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1868824].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 8, 2013

Staff: DC office staff seem to have bad attitudes, poor work ethic. I stood at the window with a dropoff request and had to wait for 5 mins. while the receptionist finished her personal call. Potomac office staff are bright and cheery. Wait time: this is one of those places where you have to wait for 1 hr before the doctor sees you - every time. He seems stretched very thin like other reviewers have mentioned. Expertise: My first appointment was great but the followups were awful. The doctor told me to read my own report when I asked him what test results meant. Seemed very quick to offer surgery as a solution, even after he had told me I wouldn't need surgery at my prior appointment. He got flippant after I said I wanted a second opinion.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1868823].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 4, 2012

Always on time, very knowledgeable and walks you through everything he's doing.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1868822].votes_count ]]