Dr. Mark Heard

Rate Dr. Mark Heard

Dr. Mark Heard's Ratings

Stay away. Gave me deadly infection with dirty tools for ACL/MCL/PCL repair. Filthy hospital. Washrooms reek of urine. Ignorant staff. Transient useless nurses who coughed into open wound. 13 surgeries to save my life in 2013 in Red Deer. Will now lose my leg. Infection even dissolved screws, cartilage, grafts-everything. Was told by Chief of disease control that the only way this infection was contracted was by unsterile equipment. Ruined my life. Save yours and steer clear of this wreck less Dr and staff. Would not even manage terrible pain afterward. Had to discharge early to manage it myself. Impossible to contact. Was dying in hospital when repeated calls were finally returned. Gaye no longer works there. Had to threaten legal action to get a form emailed. This operation needs to be shut down before more lives are ruined and deaths occur over simple procedures. I'm a young (was) healthy man. God only knows how many others have been affected and traumatized by the reckless incompetence of this Surgeon and his staff. Other Surgeons won't testify against their own, but what I say is the truth. I'm lucky to be alive, but others may not be. I've spoken with others of whom have had comparable outcomes with Dr.Heard. I'd like to hear from others who feel that they are alone and ruined people.

Submitted Aug. 18, 2014 | flag

Repaired right knee - HTO, ACL, MCL. Discussed in advance and was prepared. Not a lot of communication in advance, just all that was required - 1 assessment, forms, pre-op exercises, notification of surgery timing and what was needed to bring & do. Dr Heard is an unusual doctor - obviously very skilled AND enthusiastic, friendly, energetic, empathetic, great bedside manner. Capable staff, assistant Gaye is busy but very efficient. Capable and personable surgical staff. Smallish Banff hospital is ideal for operation and recovery, as staff are friendly and work with much less process than big old Foothills in Calgary. Nearby motel was nice for wife.

Submitted July 29, 2013 | flag

I would like to thank Dr. Mark Heard for the amazing work he did on my knees May 21. After 11 days I'm walking with only a slight limp. He performed an ACL graft reconstruction on my right knee and a scope on my left. I believe the key was the Kodiak cold water cuff immediately following surgery and for the next 5 days combined with movement as soon as the spinal freezing came out. I was encouraged to wiggle my toes and take short walks assisted on crutches. The staff were very good at making sure I didn't over do it. They indicated everybody is different, but most patients are too afraid to put 25% weight on their repaired knee and this combined with a lack of moving what's slows their recovery. After surgery Dr. Heard told me to focus on three things...rest, try to straighten it, and walk. Those are the words that I lived by since the surgery and he has been bang on for a successful recovery. Thank you Dr. Heard.

Submitted June 1, 2013 | flag

Had ACL and medial meniscus injury from avalanche repaired by Dr. Heard. Waited a little longer just to have him do the procedure since he came highly recommended and I was not disappointed. Very professional and talked me through the surgery while I was still awake to watch. The overnight stay at Banff Springs Hospital is almost unheard of in AB or BC for this kind of surgery and in my opinion much safer and comfortable knowing you have a nurse to help you with pain relief and any problems after the first 15 hours of surgery. (the wife had same procedure last summer in Vernon and they just dump you out in the parking lot after your half awake in a wheelchair and send you home with some tramacets, which was no where near enough for this pain relief) It may be difficult to reach Gaye since she is very busy, but she is very accommodating to make things happen since Dr. Heard is very popular. Best bed side manner and information I have received from a Doctor. Highly recommend.

Submitted March 14, 2013 | flag

I met Dr.Heard, whom I liked very much.Unfortunatley he did not do my surgery because of his incompetent staff member,Gaye.I called so many times to get a surgery date it was rediculous!She only called me back when I got demanding on the voice mail and STILL did not respond to getting me a surgery date. (did she think I just called to chat??)I have never had such poor communication from a medical support staff in my long life! I still cannot believe my encounter! She should be fired. I then saw Dr. Bray (really nice man), who's nurse took very good care of me and I am scheduled for this fall:)

Submitted June 25, 2012 | flag

Dr. Heard took on the challenge of fixing my knee which had caused me grief with significant instability and pain for years. After 4 previous surgeries(by other surgeons) and a lot of physio which felt like it was going nowhere, Dr. Heard has given me back my active lifestyle. I am only 6 weeks post op after posterier lateral reconstruction, ACL reconstruction and Meniscus repair and I am feeling better that I have in years AND finally pain free. I can't wait to run, ski, play hockey and soccer again! Dr. Heard also took the time to explain everything about the surgery and my recovery, his bedside manner is a step above every other doctor I have met! Also, I can't say enough about his staff(especially Gaye) and the staff at Banff Springs Hospital...they are AWESOME!! I can't wait to see how great I feel further on in my recovery!

Submitted Nov. 8, 2011 | flag

I would recommend Mark to anyone who really wants to get back to functioning at a high, active level. He is very knowledgeable and current, more so than most. Mark gets excited when his surgery really helps your quality ofliede. He did a tibial osteotomy to repair my arthritic knee, a surgery that may not have been done by someone else. Five weeks post surgery I am sitting with my knee flexing nicely and very little pain.

Submitted Aug. 29, 2011 | flag

I would recomend dr. Heard to everyone. Did my ACL and medial meniscus and i am playing soccer 4 months after.Thank You Lorandt Papp

Submitted June 17, 2011 | flag

I Love Dr.Mark Heard!! The BEST!!..I would Not be walking with a natural bend in my knee if I had any other surgeon.Reconstructive surgery of my knee, surgery not recommended by Dr. Heards' colleagues..BUT He took on the challenge..Thank God for Dr. Mark Heard!!! He is Wonderful!!!!!Hugs, LaRue

Submitted May 22, 2011 | flag

Excellent doctor.takes along time to get the Acl reconstruction but worth the effort and he good work of the doctor. Nice hospital experience in Banff

Submitted May 12, 2011 | flag