Rate Dr. Julie L. Carkin

Dr. Julie L. Carkin's Ratings

Dr. Carkin has been my rheumatologist for over a decade. She is great at planning patient care, communicating with patient's other doctors, and providing detailed info after each appt. about actions the patient should take and when to see her again. She is somewhat conservative in her use of biologic and other current but potent meds, which I like, and she takes into account lifestyle factors and other medical conditions. I do wish she gave more technical info to the patient who is interested in knowing more about their condition and its ramifications.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2457794].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 11, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr. Carkin's for over 7 years - the 3rd rheumatologist I've been referred to since my initial diagnosis of Lupus. She is, in a word, wonderful. I will never forget the patience and time she took to go over all the questions my husband and I had. I have found her bedside manner to be compassionate and professional. She has always been open to my queries beyond western medicine and have encouraged me to try methods beyond the usual prescription.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1936848].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 4, 2014

I only saw Dr. Carkin a few times so that has to be figured into this review. But, I found her arrogant and unsympathetic. My initial diagnosis was at Mayo and my condition serious, but she just acted flippant about my concerns and seemed to think I was over-focusing on my condition. I was just trying to find a kind, compassionate and knowledgeable dr. to be a partner with me in getting better. It wasn't Dr. Carkin.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1936847].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 14, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr Carkin's for over 8 yrs. She has been instrumental in keeping my quality of life at an acceptable level in spite of my severe RA & Fibromyalgia (along with other health issues). As a health care provider for over 24 yrs, I know a good doctor when I see one. Dr Carkin has an excellent bed-side manner, is compassionate, caring, knowledgeable, and her nurse is always able to get me in to see her when it is urgent. If I ever move away, I will fly back to Seattle (if I am physically able) to see her every 2 months like I am currently seeing her. My brother-in-law needs to find a good rheumatologist in Houston & cannot find one as good as Dr Carkin. I recommend her to ANYONE who needs an experienced rheumatologist.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1936846].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 6, 2011

I have seen Dr. Carkin for at least 12 years. I do medical research for myself and others as a consumer advocate and as a healthcare provider myself. Dr. Carkin has proven consistently to be remarkable in all aspects of the care I have received. She is an amazing physician...it is no wonder she is again and again rated as one of Washington's TOP DOCTORS.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1936845].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 24, 2011

I was referred to Dr. Carkin by a well-meaning, kind hearted neurologist. I was not well under her care and left. Upon my leaving, Dr. Carkin became enraged. She was dishonest, attacking my character and intentions. I was unable to defend myself due to my illness. This traumatic experience caused me to pull away from western medicine. I've been trying to work with a GP while learning alternative ways of treatment but my condition has worsened. My hope for healing is waining as my illness advances. This site says to remember that we are liable for what we write here. I accept my reponsibilities. Where is it written here that this dr is liable for her lack of professionalism, heavy-handed behavior, and for the appalling disgrace she bestowed upon her profession?

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1936851].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 31, 2010

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1936850].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 2, 2009

As a Lupus patient with serious CNS involvement who was having seizures and strokes, for nearly 20 years Dr. Carklin worked tirelessly on my behalf. No matter how difficult the problems I faced, she always made me feel "we" were facing them together - and that we would find the right treatment plan to do so. She is a skilled physician - highly reccommended to me by several other physicians - and yet she never hesitated to seek advice from and work with the best neurologist or other specialists when needed. My family felt totaly confident whe was the best doc to care for me. We always knew that not only was her care skilled - she also really cared about me as a person and a patient. I have now moved some 70 miles away and am searching for a new doc - it will be very difficult to find someone to fill her shoes!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1936844].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 9, 2009

Thank you for asking about this wonderful doctor. I have fibromyalgia and had suffered for 15 years before getting refered to Dr. Carkin. She is responsive, caring, and very informed about my illness. She helped me understand that it is vital that I follow her instructions to exercise, sleep, and eat properly. She has included my family in my care and, whether I am feeling my best or not, she is the most non-judgemental, kind person. Her staff is wonderful. I am always treated warmly and with respect. In my experience, anyone that leaves her care would have to have problems unrelated to physical illness. Thank you, Dr. Carkin, for your commitment, intelligence, and your amazing ability to heal.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1936849].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 25, 2008

Julie Carkin has been my doctor for nearly 10 years, ever since i was diagnosed with my illness at 18 years old and i could not ask for a better doctor. Not only does she care about me and my complicated illness, but she is warm and caring to my family-which means alot to me. No matter what Dr. Carkin has always shown me that she is always there for me. She is a very smart, caring person and i trust her with anything. I would never think about seeing another doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1936843].votes_count ]]