Dr. Adam Spencer

5 1 3.5

You may also like

Rate Dr. Adam Spencer

Dr. Adam Spencer's Ratings

I met Dr. Spencer in June 2014. Dr. Spencer is passionate about what he does. I can say it's been over a year with him and the Pain Clinic and in terms of function, I'm in the same position I was a year ago. He let it drag. My pain is different because of 2 procedures he did, which I am grateful for. He knew things that he should have told me, such as a diagnosis and procedures/alternative things that could give me relief. Such a TENS unit, which there hospital offers but never offered me. I found out on my own and recently rented one and I walk around with it! It's better than the drugs he pushed. He never really listened to me, because if he did I would've been off the drugs a lot sooner rather than him increasing the dose. In November he had gotten my hopes up that I had a plan. He mentioned an Intensive Pain Rehab Program, there was one in January. His clinic said I was a "good candidate" but it was only until I actually found out what was wrong with me, I was no longer "good." In December I had a treatment that changed my pain. My surgeon came by and said: "an alcohol injection can help you."(It's actually not good.) That indicates he didn't let my surgeon have a say in my plan, and a post operation complication is what put me in his clinic. Physiotherapy was put off for 1 entire year, then brought up with this IPRP? I don't get physio from the clinic until the program? My body is one huge mess because of this. Physio is an important aspect of hip surgery. If Dr. Spencer introduced me to physio a lot sooner than January 2015, the program wouldn't have been a question. I had 2 surgeries and no physio. This brings me to my next point, he kept procedures that could've helped, away from me? Such as one that my physiotherapist back home asked recently(June2015) "So are you scheduled for another surgery to clean out the scar tissue?" I had 2 injections with him before my 2nd op and he kept saying my hardware was close, and there was so much scar tissue. That being said, I asked him about scar tissue, one month he said no, the next month: yes! His communication skills need work. In January of 2015 he said I was right, _ is my diagnosis. In the medical records, it was in writing in June of 2014 and he never once said it to my face. He knew the truth, what was damaging the nerve. What makes my case complex, not only lack of blood flow or scar tissue but a titanium rod. The program he got my hopes about. The plan. Was gone. I asked about dance, and I guess no one, including himself could see I had goals. They never asked. Speaking of that, he made a lot of bad judgments without asking to confirm those judgments. They weren't true. Just because I advocated for my health to him, was the reason help got taken away. He offered me the program again in March and he judged me for my choice: No. In May as well, I wanted a simple conversation with him. He chose "Deny and defend" over "truth and compassion." I wanted to advocate for other adolescents as what they did to me, is very betraying. In January I thought I would be marching with my squadron on June 6th, I didn't. That's 5 and a half months that they wasted. I thank Dr. Spencer for those 2 procedures, but I actually thought he tried for me. He didn't. He also never let the other doctor (from the looks of my situation) have a say in my care. He never diagnosed me, yet wrote it down. He shouldn't have told me about the IPRP if they weren't going to help me in the first place. Don't let him dismiss your questions, whether it be requesting the records, you find them. Any doctor in the Alberta Health Care System, you need to push to get answers and that's ok. Let them make bad assumptions. But you make the choices for you, or your child's care. I'm 16 and know I should've gotten a say. Just because I'm a patient, doesn't mean I don't have opinions on where I need to go. It's too late for me and my education. Don't wait too long, or your function will deteriorate. I'm not sad my surgeon messed up, I'm disappointed the help wasn't there. I hope this experience makes him better. I hope he accepts him and his clinic did not do everything they could for me. I have hope in him. I hope he learns from this. I see potential in him, I hope he uses it.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2855800].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 3, 2015

Dr. Spencer treated a very young family member recuperating post surgery from cancer and later in radiology related to the disease. He and his team were very proficient yet warm and supportive to our family. His interpersonal skills and those of his staff helped very much to make a stressful situation much more manageable.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][15211].votes_count ]]