Rate Dr. Marius Hoogerboord

Dr. Marius Hoogerboord's Ratings

I was referred to Dr. Hoogerboord by another Surgent. I saw him twice in a three hour distance to Halifax. Which was a waste of time, as he did absolutely nothing to help me with my condition. I asked him for a prescription to prescribed medication for my Hiatus Hernia , he stated to get that from my GP. I later moved to Halifax and followed up to see him again about my Hiatus Hernia and Esophogitis he diagnosed me with. He received doctor reports from another surgent, as I have reported to him on my visits as for phone calls I am coughing blood up. I asked if he could do a MRI to find out where the blood and irritation is coming from . He stated "No" he refuses to have a MRI done. I had a different test done as He found something wrong with my spinkter and his receptionist called me to pass on the message By Dr.Hoogerboord "possibly I may need surgery" . I was booked for a appointment to see him and discuss my condition. I received a phone call the day before my booked appointment was scheduled to see him to discuss surgery as for "They"Cancelled it. I didn't get a chance to see him to discuss what was found wrong with my spinkter as the test results shows. I then later got a phone call to request to have a 24 PH monitoring test, and send me home unsupervised with tubes up my nose and down the back of my throat. I stated to them over the phone that I feel uncomfortable in having it done with "NO" supervision , where as I live alone if in case I choked and something went wrong. I was willing to have the test done at the hospital providing proper care and supervision "BUT" was told by Dr. Hoogerboord's office no beds were available in the hospital on the floor. I am now filing a complaint to the College of Physicians and Surgents . He gave me the cold shoulder from the very first day I met him. He is the rudest man with a cold heart I ever encountered. I would rather see another surgent who is caring and concerned about their patients.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2557494].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 30, 2014

I am extremely happy with my operation and the relationship with Dr. Hoogerboord and his staff. So far I am cancer free and feeling great. Thanks very much for your caring and your concerning attitude.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2192968].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 19, 2014

Dr. Hoogerboord is an amazing surgeon. He puts his patients needs at the forefront and goes above and beyond to assure you have the best care. I recently had a bowel surgery that resulted in complications requiring 2 returns to the OR, and both times Dr. Hoogerboord returned to the hospital late into the night to take me back to surgery himself, even though he was not on call. He visited daily, even on the weekends to check on me. He is honest, forthcoming with information and tells it like it is, taking as much time as needed to answer questions and set you at ease. After an extended stay in hospital and a subsequent return to the ER for a further concern, I received a call at home from his staff to check on me to make sure all was well, and to let me know they were there should I need help. This sets Dr. Hoogerboord and his staff above many in our current health care system. I have the highest respect for him and am grateful I had such a caring surgeon for my bowel surgery.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2192969].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 3, 2014

Rudest man I have ever encounted in my entire life. Extremely condescending and arrogant.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][40543].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 17, 2014

DR.HOOGERBOORD PERFORMED SURGERY ON MY DAD A FEW WEEKS AGO. HE IS A WONDERFUL AND KIND PERSON.MY DAD HAD A LARGE TUMOR REMOVED FROM HIS COLON AND IS DOING VERY WELL !!!!! THANKS DR.HOOGERBOORD,YOU ARE THE BEST!!! YOU ALWAYS MADE MY DAD VERY COMFORTABLE AND AT EASE!!!!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][40542].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 4, 2014

Dr.Hoogerboord could teach some of the Docs around that you don't dismiss a patient you cannot diagnose! This man performed A Sigmoid Resection on me in Aug 2013. After suffering for 3.5 years with abdominal pain consistently, one meeting with Dr.Hoogerboord in the QE11 emergency I was diagnosed and operated on in 12 hours! i had absolutely no post op issues and when I did call his office for a follow up appointment his receptionist was delighted to book me. His surgical site was conservative and at my post operative appointment he was thrilled to answer all my questions. It is not normal to suffer pain (IBS), which is what I was told by my MD and GI specialist! Shame on our "HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS"!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][40541].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 17, 2014

I had an ileostomy in January 2010, and developed a parastomal hernia within a year. In August 2012 I had a consult with Dr. Hoogerboord, then very new to Halifax. His confidence, ease of communicating, and deep knowledge of my options reassured me. The fact that he would attempt to repair it laparascopically appealed to me. He did the repair using that procedure on a Friday in March 2013, and I have had no problem with it since. I have a huge amount of respect for him, and am confident that he did a superior job. He came to the hospital on the Saturday after the surgery, checked on me, and fully explained what he did.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][40540].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 8, 2014

Dr. Hoogerboord is an excellent surgeon in my opinion. He is very pleasant and very clear and concise when explaining things and answering questions. I felt instantly at ease with him during my referral visit and I knew that I was in good hands. His staff is friendly as well.I had my gall bladder removed and a hiatal hernia repair done at the same time a month ago and I healed very well. Feeling great!! :)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][40539].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 25, 2013

Had bowel resection in May. I cannot say anything negative at all. I feel I was not only very well cared for, I got the best surgery and result I could ever had expected. His staff is amazing too! :) He seems a bit on the shy side, but will talk to you upfront. 10 years ago if I had gone for this surgery when first told I needed it, it would have been more difficult and I suspect I'd still have problems. The laproscopic resection would not have been considered. Guess I was waiting for Dr. Hoogerboord. I feel great!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][40538].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 18, 2013

Dr Hoogerboord performed a laparoscopic tumor removal in my colon . Great surgeon , conscientious , explains well and best of all caring . You rarely see an attending dropping in on patients over the weekend, that's the residents' time . He dropped in both days to check up on me . Only great things to say about him .

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][40537].votes_count ]]