Rate Dr. Jonathan Tankel

Dr. Jonathan Tankel's Ratings

Dr Tankel removed some fibroids, and I was able to conceive right away at 41. He was always kind, gentle, and very helpful. Printed out things for me, asked me about my concerns, never made me feel rushed, and always took the time to explain everything to me. His staff has always been so kind and helpful to me. The ultrasound tech was amazing. The wait is the worst for sure, always hours late, but babies come first. His waiting room is always full, so that must say something about him. If I was being mis treated I would change as well, but he's awesome, so I deal with the awful wait times. He will not go home till every patient has been seen, even if its 1:00 am. Love him.

Submitted Sept. 9, 2014 | flag

Submitted Aug. 14, 2014 | flag

I think Dr. Tankel is the best. He was my doctor for my 3rd child which was my 3rd C-section. I am high risk which needed to be watched very carefully. He is extremely knowledgeable. He is a very funny but serious doctor. When you are with him he makes you feel like you are the only patient he has and does not rush through your appointment. You can ask him anything (no question is stupid)and he will give you an answer. He really listens to your concerns and does not take any symptom lightly. I will admit that the one front desk staff when I was there in January 2012 was not the nicest, but I found the rest of the staff there nice and friendly. The wait time are long, you may be waiting hours past your appointment but he is so worth it. I have no problem waiting for a doctor like that. I would tell anyone to go see him because he is one of the best. I wish all doctors were like him and actually cared about their patients like he does. He goes over and beyond for him patients. Thanks Dr.

Submitted July 17, 2014 | flag

Dr. Tankel is a very knowledgeable, very experienced, extremely helpful and kind gynaecologist/obstetrician with a good sense of humour. Only negative thing is that he almost always runs several hours late. But he is so good at what he does that I still go to him, despite the hours I have had to wait.

Submitted June 16, 2014 | flag

I really like Dr.Tankel as he is quite comedic every appointment. Yes the appointment time is always moved up hours ahead. I see a lot of complaints on here about the wait time but the staff encourages you to call ahead of time and see when you should come in due to Dr.Tankel being behind so you do not actually have to wait there the whole time. He has good reasoning for being late as well since he does deliveries; natural and C-sections which obviously cannot wait until after someone's appointment. He has been very helpful and very knowledgeable and blunt about things which I like, no need to sugar coat the process of having a baby.

Submitted June 5, 2014 | flag

I had been bleeding 117 days of 125 when I went to see him. He told me he was sick and tired of women coming to him for a hysterectomy because they were tired of having their period. He told me that I was very high risk cause I was too fat. He asked if I knew how many women died per year having the procedure. He told me that he had done surgery on a lady and she dropped dead from hemorrhaging right in front of her children. He told me that if I got incontinence from the surgery, "not to come whining to him cause he will just send me to another surgeon. He was rude, he made me cry and really scared me. I went to a different surgeon, he told me I had no choice the surgery had to be done immediately. Dr Francis did the surgery no problems and he was wonderful. He also removed besides my womb, 13.5 lbs of tumors!!!!! I have heard many similar stories from other women. Tankle should have his license removed, in my opinion.

Submitted March 18, 2014 | flag

Dr. Tankel was my OBGYN. Yes I waited hours before every appointment. But he was always so nice, more resourceful than any any other doctor I have ever seen. He emailed me some information and at another time he printed it out for me. He spent an average of 30-45 mins with me for every appointment and didn't leave until he answered every one of my questions. He does a great job of breaking the ice and not coming off as a self important person. He encouraged me to make appointments so that he could fully explain the procedures that I had done by another OBGYN. He also gave me advice when I left the province and didn't charge me for a copy of my file. I would recommend this doctor to anyone. To those that complain about the staff, waiting times, etc. You are rating the doctor's level of competency, not all that other stuff. If he gives you information on something and you don't like it, research it yourself; that's what google is for.

Submitted Oct. 23, 2013 | flag

Great doctor. Would get a Nobel prize if he fired his staff. Instead of owning up to her mistake, the bully secretary said the appointment she made and she wrote down is wrong, and blames the already emotionally fragile pregnant ladies, and accuses them of forgery. Ya, like they want to pay for parking, wait hours with twins in their gut just to make the bovine look bad. Professionally speaking, having horrid staff makes the good doctor's reputation suffer. I know it's another bad staff review, but hopefully the good doctor will have a breaking point with his damaging hire.

Submitted Sept. 3, 2013 | flag

Long time patient, both at the U of A and at the Hys. I'm not sure if something has changed in his life, or if he is just very inconsistent and I had always been lucky to see him on 'good days', but I was previously SO impressed with him. Not any more! Before, he would take the time to answer all my questions, even printed out the latest research on birth control or treatment, and always put me at ease with his friendly demeanour. At that time my stance was, yes, you have to wait, but it's worth it. Recently, he has been cranky, hurried, INDESCRIBABLY rude to both myself and my husband, and the opposite of reassuring. Throughout my pregnancy he has succeeded in making me feel ashamed and stupid; he has shut down and even criticized my questions. I now feel more anxious about the pregnancy in his presence than any other time! Terrible! I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Submitted July 12, 2013 | flag

If you are looking for an OBGyn who will put your mind at ease and help you have a relaxed pregnancy experience, LOOK ELSEWHERE! I went to Dr. Tankel when I was pregnant with my first baby and although I really liked him, his staff was unbelievably rude and difficult to deal with. Also, he is always behind. By "behind" I don't mean 30 minutes behind - I mean 6 hours behind. Imagine being pregnant and sitting in an uncomfortable chair in a waiting room for 6 hours without enough food and having to go plug your parking meter every hour. It's beyond insane that they let that happen. With my second baby, I debated whether or not I should go back to Dr. Tankel and I finally decided to go to the Women's Health Clinic instead. My experience was completely different there. The staff was amazing, my OB was amazing and the longest I ever waited to be seen was 30 minutes one time. Honestly, Dr. Tankel is not worth all of that extra hassle and stress! There are great OBs elsewhere!

Submitted July 8, 2013 | flag