Rate Dr. Yew Hon Lai

Dr. Yew Hon Lai's Ratings

After seeing another allergist in the city when my son was very young, Dr.Lai was a breath of fresh air. I only wish we had found him sooner! He speaks directly to my son and takes the time to educate him on the seriousness of his allergies. He has also been willing to investigate which food and environmental allergies my son has, and to do oral challenges on foods that may be safe for him to consume. Dr.Lai is very confident and professional. He has been wonderful in every way. I only wish we had started with him when my son had his first allergic reaction as an infant.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2472940].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 19, 2014

We had an incredible experience with Dr. Lai after years of being confused over allergy testing results with another Calgary allergist. He kept my 4-year old son very entertained with his knowledge of Transformers, all the while doing a VERY thorough examination of his allergies. We were able to get to the bottom of all of his allergies and reintroduce foods that were previously misdiagnosed as allergies. My son looks and feels amazing, has had no asthma attacks in over a year, his immune system has greatly improved, he's eating foods that we never thought he'd eat, and he has no more dark under eye circles. I highly recommend Dr. Lai if you are looking for a doctor who is great with kids and compassionate for stressed out moms. He will go the extra mile to find a solution and I look forward to him monitoring my son for years to come.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2203813].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 8, 2014

We have had only extremely good experiences at Dr Lai's office! Very punctual, knowledgeable, friendly and helpful staff!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2203814].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 7, 2014

Not helpful at all, chewed gum during consultation did not appear to listen to anything I said when I was giving my son's history, he was typing on his computer the form letter to the referring doctor. He needs better bedside manners. We were told that my son allergic to everything but nuts. No documentation given as to what my son was tested for. Told that should have come sooner and might have been able to help him. Came out of appointment very upset and with no answer for my sons allergies. He did nothing to educate my son or soothe his concerns when his arms were reacting badly to the tests.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][71997].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 20, 2014

Great doctor. Discussed everything we wanted, was patient with us but direct and to-the-point with answers (clear, concise, memorable), and was more than happy to immediately correct any incorrect perceptions we held about allergies. We walked away with a much clearer and far more confident understanding of our son's allergies and how to help him manage them. GREAT!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][71996].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 24, 2014

Dr. Lai was not very helpful. He would ask questions in regards to my daughter's allergy but seem to answer his own questions. Just formality to ask me the question but took no interest in my answer. When I asked him question he made it seem like all my questions are ridiculous. I did not find him to be good with my daughter.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][71995].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 17, 2013

He met us chewing gum and seemed out of it. Then we were stunned when he asked my son if his allergies were better when we went to Hawaii or Mexico! Like we had money for that. He is a poor communicator and we regretted seeing him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][71994].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 21, 2012

I saw Dr Lai and he was pleasant and informative but there was miscommunication on their side that may result in a delay of my treatment. I voiced concerns with his receptionist regarding his consult letter containing inconsistencies about exams he stated he did that were normal and these exams were not done and when I told the receptionist she laughed at (very unprofessional). Giving me incorrect information stating I can only have injections for one of my allergy groups at at time ie I had to choose pets,pollen or trees but not all which I requested she verify this as I knew this was incorrect as I had had injections previously. Was told it would be helpful to have PFT's done and to arrange if I wanted them but when I called to order allergy shots after she gave me a DIN number to ensure they were covered I was advised they will not order unless I have the PFT,s done delaying my treatment further as it was my understanding this was optional. If you go to the office get it in writing

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][71993].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 25, 2012

Brought my son for allergy testing. We were his first patient of the day so he saw us right away. Dr. Lai did a health history of my son. I proceeded to tell him what my husband is allergic to when he responded, I take what people say with a grain of salt, I take it at face value. He then said that there are people doing allegy testing that aren't very good. Then he started giving me stats on how people respond to allergens, ie, mild, anaphylaxis. Since he said reactions can be very mild, I asked what that might look like. He said I'd know, didn't answer my question. Will never bring my son to see dr. Lai again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][71992].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 21, 2012

He had told my nephew he was now peanut free, (he was 4) and he had a nut and he was rushed to hospital and he should of never been cleared for that allergy. He also on 3 occasion tried to take over our scheduled time in dr Cheuk's room to take over his patients and I told him no every single time and he still always came back. Not a good business professional when trying to take patients in the same clinic from your fellow co worker. We will never see him and I am glad he no longer works their!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][71991].votes_count ]]