Rate Dr. Steven L. Hechler

Dr. Steven L. Hechler's Ratings

I loved the staff and Dr. Hechler was always willing to help me with understanding the progress of my son's treatment. I had been to other orthodontists in the area that were all about the money and getting us in treatment quickly to make a dollar. Dr. Hechler seemed to be more about the care of the longevity of my sons dentition. If you are wanting someone who cares and knows his stuff, go here!!

Submitted Sept. 11, 2014 | flag

My wife had a terrible experience with Dr. Hechler. The first year went fairly well. During the second year of her treatment, the gaps between her teeth (due to having teeth pulled as per Dr. Hechler) started getting bigger, not smaller. When my wife asked why the gaps weren't closing after a year and a half of treatment, Dr. Hechler was dismissive and condescending. When it was clear treatment was going well past the two years originally promised, and my wife asked for a revised time schedule, Hechler was again dismissive. Meanwhile my wife's teeth were looking worse and worse. After over two years with Hechler and a lot of stress, my wife switched to a new orthodontist who immediately closed the gaps in her teeth and completed her treatment in five months. I attended several appointments with my wife and found Hechler's manner condescending and rude. We do not recommend this orthodontist.

Submitted Sept. 23, 2013 | flag

The wait time is ridiculous and the staff and doctor are very insensitive. If your child deals with even the slightest bit of anxiety, they treat this like a discipline problem. Voicing my concerns was usually seen as talking back led to hygienists snapping at me, sometimes telling me I didn't have a choice about things being done to me or that the pain I was describing was imaginary. It's the predictable shaming environment that makes kids hate (and fear) doctors and nurses. Scheduling was also a nightmare. I was frequently chastised for not being able to miss class (in another state) to come home for appointments. Dr. Hechler continually told me that it would be dangerous to allow an orthodontist in my new state to take over my treatment, so I ended up having to make weekend flights down to Kansas just to see him and miss class on a regular basis. If you ever tell them their behavior is unprofessional, they'll start throwing "coupons" and "gifts" at you to change your mind.

Submitted Sept. 14, 2013 | flag

Our oldest daughter had braces for 10 months from Dr. Hechler which prompted us to use him for our youngest daughter who had a much greater orthodontic problem. Three other orthodontists recommended having her lower jaw broken to fix underbite. Dr. Hechler told us to be patient and even fixed her top teeth while we waited for her to finish growing. She is within 6-9 monts of finishing her treatment. We love Dr. Hechler and his office. Can't go wrong and extremely ethical.

Submitted March 13, 2013 | flag

We had a negative experience with Dr. Hechler. My daughter was given a headgear to pull back molars back. We were told treatment would be approx. 9 months. We struggled for over 12 months with continual probs. The device broke every two weeks. My daughter was in a lot of pain at night leaving us no choice but to give her motrin on a reg. basis. After all of this, we were seeing no progress. I complained several times to Dr. H who only smiled and told us to hang in there. After 13 months we were told we still had a long way to go! Although we had paid in full, I felt I had no choice but to seek the advice of another ortho. It became worth any amount of money to help my daughter get a good night sleep without the pain! We met with another ortho who was able to get rid of the headgear and place a spring between two teeth. It has now been 4 months and her teeth have moved more in 4 months than they did in 13 with no pain and good sleep! To say the least I do NOT rec. this ortho!!!

Submitted March 1, 2013 | flag

Excellent care with compassionate and fun staff. They made me feel at home and that was so important.

Submitted Oct. 31, 2012 | flag