Rate Dr. Charles W. Portney

Dr. Charles W. Portney's Ratings

I saw him several times at several crisis points in my life. He was highly recommended. He did nothing for me, except make sure he got his money at each session. My condition worsened through the lack of his care, and it it truly unbelievable to me that anyone really thinks highly of him. He is among the most phony of medical professionals I have met. And even at my worst when I could have lost my professional license, refused to give me the proper help, or document my condition

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2752585].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 19, 2015

Well-organized, thorough and extraordinarily helpful

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2700338].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 28, 2015

He was kind, warm and spent a lot of time asking innumerable questions, reading records and talking to my other doctors before he came to his conclusions.Expensive but worth it!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2459468].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 14, 2014

He's the most insightful person I've ever met. He's brilliant.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1975360].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 27, 2011

I saw Dr. Portney at a very difficult time in my life and can't imagine a more caring and experienced therapist. He was kind, insightful, empathic, uncannily perceptive, serious yet funny at the same time. I don't know how he does it. I am truly grateful for his humble competence and how he helped and supported me when I needed it most. He is a rare find.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1975359].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 13, 2009

Dr. Portney is extremely knowledgeable, considerate, respectful and to the point. I know he is respected in the psychiatric community for his expertise in eating disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder, and for his continuing teaching of trainees at the UCLA Dept. of Psychiatry. I would not hesitate recommending him for psychiatric treatment in general and particularly in his areas of expertise.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1975358].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 1, 2009

Dr. Portney, while experienced and well-networked, is fundamentally abusive, apparently working through persona or family issues. His commanding style may work with eating disorders, but I'm afraid he will create more emotional turmoil than he resolves. There are better psychiatrists; avoid him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1975357].votes_count ]]