Dr. Henry P. Parkman

Grad. Year: 1982

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 3.0 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 17 reviews. Dr. Henry P. Parkman has a fair overall rating on RateMDs.com. neutral

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Gastroenterologist-related: Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, GI cancer, bowel disease, stomach, intestines, bowels and other structures, such as the liver, gall bladder, pancreas and esophagus, and focus on maladies that include ulcers, jaundice, colitis, hepatitis, cancer, eating disorders, GIST
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5334180

06/04/14 1 1 1 1 Saw Dr. P for 8 years as he was the alledged best for gastroparesis. No bedside manner, totally disinterested even as I dropped 30 lbs off my petite frame in horrific pain. Much more interested in stats and grants than patients quality of life. Constantly wanting to do tests and procedures he had already done. Always a prescription for everything. Vanessa his assistant actually yawned 3 times while I was doubled over in pain, then neglected to call in a script that I needed but neither of them had told me they were putting me on new med so I didn't know to ask pharmacy. When I went back 6 weeks later worse, they both were puzzled why that med wasn't helping, I advised they never prescribed it and they both laughed it off. I would not recommend Temple Digestive Disease to my worst enemy. The whole show is assembly line medicine, a money making machine with no quality of care or service. A disgrace!
RID: 5304155
24/03/14 2 3 1 3 No help at all, very disappointed that my issue was taken seriously as it disrupting my liufe and I constantly have fear. Tests done did not cntribute to a DX.
RID: 5230698
08/03/14 1 1 1 2 This is a doctor who doesn't listen has no bed side manners and really should be in a lab
Insurance: Oxford
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 4824886

06/02/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' rating (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 5.0  Respond
RID: 4294880
27/01/14 3 3 2 2 He is an academic, but is so caught up in it, he doesn't have the time or interest to treat you.  Respond
RID: 3641995
24/12/13 2 2 1 3 He is arrogant and condescending. Won't answer questions or have conversation. Won't return phone calls or emails. Doesn't report back test results and forces you to come to office for a 5 minute visit that could have been taken care of by phone. Takes weeks to get a prescription. Doesn't even call back pharmacy when they have a question on prescription. He has zero bedside manner and should not have patients. No empathy and treats everyone as if they are stupid and have no right to question why to anything  Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Henry" to "Henry P."
RID: 2625020
23/04/13 4 1 5 5 I came to Dr. Parkman to help with my severe gastroparesis. At my first visit I weighed 90 lbs and was very very sick. Would I want to go out to dinner with Dr. Parkman? Probably not. Did he help me? In ways I never imagined. So, yes, when we enter the waiting room my husband and I place a bet with each other choosing our wait time to be "over or under" 2 hours. It is usually close to two. Then we meet with Vanessa and she spends a lot of time asking questions to enter things into the computer. Then Dr. Parkman comes in and chats. He forgets all sorts of things:, for instance that I am not a diabetic, have allergies to medications, etc. A minor annoyance I suppose but he knows more about severe gastroparesis than any doctor I have seen, has access to cutting edge treatment, and teaches and researches this debilitating disease every day with an obvious passion. Although horrible at scheduling and returning phone calls AND have significantly improved my quality of life.
RID: 2424082
13/09/12 4 3 5 5 I've been seeing Dr. Parkman over almost couple of years intermittently, with back up from a local GI Dr. and PCP. Dr. Parkman knows gastroparesis very well, and is clearly expert in the field based on years of experience and seeing many patients with this difficult condition. He has worked through issues with me, but I came fully prepared in advance, with thorough research, and articulated my list of questions to him: this helped, since the 10 minute limit is about right, so the main thing is to make the most of the limited time available and stay on point. Some of his staff are terrific - I have undergone very invasive/ humilitating testing there and the nurses put me at ease: in particular Marty is a gem. Scheduling appointments can be very difficult even for established patients like me, although again his staff do listen and accommodate patients when possible. I continue to persevere because my local facilities can't offer the botox treatments I need for gastroparesis.
RID: 2006763
10/04/12 4 3 2 3 I been going to see him for three and half years now. He has gave me so many different test for my problem I have my own file at home now. He has not came up with any thing yet now everytime I go see him he wants me to repeat a test and he is always giving me the same medicine I have tried already. Every other time I go see him it is as if he has never seen me before and my last appointment was the worst. He haD one of his staff call me because he said he wanted to see me because I just had some tests done. When I got to the appointment he didn't even know I even got tests done when it was only a couple weeks ago. I AM DONE WITH THIS MAN.
RID: 1718404

20/02/12 1 3 2 3
RID: 1531996
07/09/11 5 4 5 5 Dr. Parkman and his asst. Vanessa were both so very helpful when no other doctors could figure out how to help my GI problem. His testing is so different and obviously gets the results you need. After 2 years of suffering I finally have my GI problems resolved and managed and am symptom free. I think Dr. Parkman is a genius, and his personality make you very comfortable speaking to him. Yes, he seems rushed sometimes but I think he's in demand and if you have the opportunity to see him for GI problems that you haven't been able to resolve elsewhere, please do so. It's worth the trip!
See Responses
RID: 1523463
27/08/11 1 1 4 4 I have found Dr. Parkman himself to be very friendly and helpful. He is often pressed for time and runs late, but he has spent a reasonable amount of time with me in appointments. My questions were answered, especially if I had them written down or if I emailed him directly. His staff and the hospital itself are not very helpful. It can be difficult to get an appointment, my appointments have been mischeduled, and not on the schedule at all when I arrived despite getting a confirmation call. Test results are not reported to the patient, in my case not even when there is a critical alert requiring me to seek immediate hospitalization. Again though, this is not Dr. P but his staff and associates. Staff and his nurse also provide very limited and inaccurate information in response to medical questions and you are never allowed to speak to Dr. P himself on the phone. Even for established patients, the wait to schedule follow up treatment is outrageous.  Respond
RID: 1282745
30/10/10 2 2 2 2 traveled several hundred miles to see him. Seemed in a hurry was of no help, he came highly recommended. Offered no treatment. Asked if I would fill out a lengthly questionaire which I did. Would not return.  Respond
RID: 1247837
10/09/10 4 5 2 4 Very disappointed with this "expert" doctor. Seemed to not look at my husband's records at all even when perscribing medication. We'll be going to Columbia next time!
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1179743
31/05/10 3 2 1 1 TERRIBLE CLINICIAN.Parkman may be a published research expert in sev. areas of gastro. but as a clinician who can help you feel better, he is abysmal.(1) He spends VERY little time in an actual appointment with you (under 10 mins.)I oftraveled hundreds miles each time I went to Temple and never received more than 10 mins. with Parkman.I spoke with sev. other of his patients (including an R.N. who had also come to him from a great distance) who all had similar experiences to mine.(2) He never even takes a complete history Didn't fully read reports I had provided to him, asked almost no questions of me, etc.(3) Doesn't answer questions at all-either ignores you,acts like he didn't hear you,leaves the room, or mumbles something (4) No empathy, support, etc -could care less about pain you may be feeling -- man acts like a total "space-cadet"(5) Does not report test results or follow up with you personally in any way.(6)My considered opinion is that one should: STAY AWAY FROM TEMPLE G.I.
Paid (or co-pay): $4000
RID: 1050689
05/12/09 3 2 3 3 He is very knowledgeable,but he threw a very serious scare at me, then both he and his assistant laughed at me. The scare was possible ileostomy.mmI din't find their sense of "humor" appealing at all.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 839434
23/03/09 4 5 5 5 Def. knows what he is doing.