Dr. Richard Ostrup

Foreign Lang: Armenian

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 03/09/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 3.8 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 6 reviews. Dr. Richard Ostrup has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Neurosurgeon-related: nervous system, cervical and lumbar spine problems, brain tumors, neurovascular problems, peripheral nerve problems, neurological surgery, brain and spinal cord tumors, skull-base surgery, brachytherapy, aneurysm surgery, epilepsy surgery, neurological surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 2806940
22/08/13 4 4 1 1 Back lamenectomy at the L5 in 2003, he also stretch my S1/S2 and I've had debilitating leg pain every since. Dr. Altenau sent me to physical therapy for some resolution after various sessions the therapist was not able to relieve pain and when I went back to Dr. Altenau he recommended I give it time. I went to see Dr Ostrup in 2011, for low back and left leg pain, he could not fine anything causing the pain and recommended I lost 25 lbs. I do not believe either Dr. care about patients who have a difficult problem to correct. SHARP medical works with this group of doctors and would not refer me to any other. I contacted my primary insurance company and they approved a consultation with a Neurologist, who took the time to review my x-rays and MRI recommending surgery because there was bone on bone at the L5, my back pain is 70% improved, but my leg still keeps me up at night 99% of the time. I only wish SHARP and this group of doctors would have cared for their patients better.
RID: 2614889

11/04/13 2 1 1 2
Paid (or co-pay): $3000
RID: 2055597
20/04/12 2 2 5 5 I agree with all the positive comments regarding Dr. Ostrup. He performed a microdiscectomy on me, and I woke up virtually pain free after months of severe sciatica symptoms. He is a very kind, humble man. I can’t believe he got a couple of 5's for punctuality though. Kind of makes me wonder. Both visits I waited about two hours, but he is worth it.  Respond
RID: 1409679
07/04/11 5 4 5 5 If it was not for Dr. Ostrup I would have had a huge back surgery. He is very conservative and will only do surgery if he feels that is the last resort. How refreshing! He also has the most warm and caring bed side manner.
RID: 1293668
15/11/10 5 5 5 5 He did a great job on a 3 stage cervical fusion for me and is a a gifted surgeon who is also a nice guy!
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 1069512
04/01/10 5 5 5 5 Dr. Ostrup did two surgeries on me over the past year. To say his is "good" would be an understatement.... he is (and was) fantastic. Best Neurosurgeon in San Diego (maybe in the US)