Rate Dr. Jeffrey A. Goldstein

Dr. Jeffrey A. Goldstein's Ratings

By far the BEST experience I have had with any physician/staff. Dr. Goldstein is an unbelievably nice man and spends time with his patients. He is friendly, has great bedside manor and really cares. My recovery from surgery has been far better than I ever could have imagined. Every call/interaction with the staff has been great- they are courteous, friendly and compassionate. I have been recommending Dr. Goldstein to everyone.

Submitted Aug. 15, 2014 | flag

What can I say about Dr. Goldstein. He is a superhero, a rockstar, the doctor that saved my life. I would like to preface this by saying that I am terrified of doctors, and needles make me cry like a baby (a big, pathetic 32-year old baby). And while I have the utmost respect for those in the medical profession, I am an extreme avoider and probably the biggest chicken you will meet. So this is my story. On 2/21/11 I woke up to the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced. I lay in bed next to my husband crying silently, wishing that it would stop - but it didn't. The pain in my left arm was indescribable, but my newfound inability to lift my arm was terrifying. My husband took me to his doctor that morning, where the anesthesiologist swiftly administered an epidural and sent me home with some heavy duty painkillers, and a prescription for an MRI. My MRI confirmed that the disc between levels C4 and C5 was severely herniated,and that surgery was necessary. I met with 3 different doctors, praying that one of them would tell me that everything would be ok, and that I could get through this without having the surgery. Each of them said the same thing "If you were my wife, sister or mother, I would tell you to do this tomorrow". I pleaded with my husband to give me 2 weeks - maybe the disc would miraculously go back in on its own. He reluctantly agreed. The pain in my arm didn't let up and it remained useless from the forearm up. I couldn't lift it or move it, it was literally dead weight. Each day was worse than the next - all I could do was lie in bed, stare at the ceiling and cry. The painkillers offered fragments of relief, but the pain was still unbearable. After about 1 week, I agreed to meet with Dr. Goldstein. We had met with another highly esteemed NYC surgeon the week before, and I was completely disgusted by the lack of compassion and consideration that this allegedly brilliant man had given me. With some of the best surgeons in the world at my disposal, I knew that there must be a better, more suitable option. Sitting in the examination room, tears streaming down my face in anticipation, fear and pain, Dr. Goldstein walked in. He looked at me, handed me a tissue and said "please don't cry, you'll make me cry too". I glanced at my husband and we both knew that this was the doctor for me. At the end of my appointment, my surgery was scheduled. The day of my discectomy I was an absolute mess. I remember sitting in the prep room with my husband, in a complete daze. Doctors and nurses filing in and out - handing me paperwork, bombarding me with information, asking me questions and asking if I had any of my own. It was completely overwhelming and terrifying, this surgery was really going to happen - and I wanted to bolt. Then Dr. Goldstein came in and reaffirmed why he is the best. Not only are his credentials impeccable (Director of Spine Services at NYU's Hospital for Joint Diseases!), but his bedside manner is incomparable. I wanted the best surgeon, but I also wanted someone with a heart, and Dr. Goldstein is that person. It took me a while to actually sit down and write this, but a year and a half post-op, I am doing wonderfully. I am pain-free and I have my arm back. Thank you, Dr. Goldstein for giving me my life back. You are, and will always be, my hero.

Submitted Aug. 13, 2014 | flag

Submitted Aug. 12, 2014 | flag

I live in Europe. Following the recommendation of my doctor and the reputation of Dr. Goldstein I flew to New York City for my surgery. Thanks to his skills and expertise I am now back home after my surgery and doing very well. Dr. Goldstein was thorough and compassionate. I could not be happier.

Submitted Aug. 9, 2014 | flag

As a Registered Nurse, I only choose the very best of Medicine for my needs. Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein is the very best. I came to see Dr. Goldstein in agonizing pain that required a Microdiskectomy on June 5th of this year. His compassion and extraordinary skill far exceeded my expectations. Quickly out of bed in the recovery room I was totally free of the pain that I had endured for several months. My problem had changed my personality and took the joy from my life. All have been restored by this truly skilled Physician. I am eternally grateful. Physicians have a job to do just as in any profession, caring about what you do somehow becomes a mundane task. It is a rare individual who continues in his profession/ job with continued vigilance, a continued ability to care. Dr. Goldstein has maintained his high standard of care. He is truly a Physician who revers the skill he has been given and readily transports his skill to all of those under his care with verve. May God bless him always.

Submitted July 23, 2014 | flag

First, Dr. Goldstein was polite with a professional manner. He asked detailed questions and ordered diagnostic tests immediately. He arrived at a diagnosis and recommended a surgery. I felt confident in his assessment and proceeded with the surgery. The surgery was a major lower-back surgery that included replacing the lower lumbar disk between the fourth & fifth vertebrae, and a fusion of the spine. This was both a post & anterior surgery procedure. Dr. Goldstein performed the surgery on January 7th, 2014 along with Dr. Nalbandian (Vascular surgeon). I was in the hospital for 4 days (Tuesday to Friday). There was normal post-operative discomfort, but was controlled with medication. I returned to work (office) on Monday, Jan 27th, and was able to fly to San Francisco on Feb. 3rd. My experience was excellent, everything Dr. Goldstein told me was accurate, I feel great, my back pain is gone, the Hosp. for Jt. Disease was excellent, and I would highly recommend Jeff Goldstein.

Submitted Feb. 13, 2014 | flag

I had an extruded disc and was in pain every day for four months. I went to pain management docs and physical therapy. Nothing really helped. Some of my many docs were against my having back surgery. Dr. Goldstein was fantastic. My initial pain was gone right after surgery. I still needed my cane and PT for 6-8 weeks, but surgery was the only thing that engendered progress. Without Dr. Goldstein, I would still be stooped over and in pain. He got me back to normal when none of the conservative treatments worked. My PT who was initially against surgery said I was lucky to have a great surgeon. She was that impressed with my progress. I would highly recommend Dr. Goldstein.

Submitted Aug. 15, 2013 | flag

I suffered with spinal stenosis and severe sciatica for three years. I endured physical therapy and epidural injections with no relief. As a registered nurse, i was extremely hesitant to have back surgery. I researched Dr. Goldstein and found him to be top in his field. I had a diskecomy, hemilaminectomy and facetectomy. Three weeks later i am vacationing in atlantic city completely pain free. Prior to surgery, i could not walk two blocks without severe pain and having to bend over to relieve it. I am now walking up to three miles a day, pain free. He is a miracle worker. I can't believe how great i feel. He is a talented, knowledgeable surgeon. My only regret is that i didn't do this sooner.

Submitted Aug. 12, 2013 | flag

I tried conservative treatment for spinal stenosis and spondylolesthisis for 6 months after I first had bilateral sciatica. When I decided to pursue surgery I saw 3 surgeons. Dr Goldstein was the 3rd. I ultimately chose him because of his outstanding CV, the world class facility in which he operated (NYU Hospital for Joint Disease), and for the practical, objective and informative first meeting we had with him. A bonus is his office in Newburgh, much easier than NYC for follow up visits from my Dutchess Cty home. I had a 2 level lami/fusion, and recovered successfully from the first hours post-op. Dr G's team included a pain management specialist post op, and a physiatrist I have seen during recovery. At 8 weeks post op, I am moving toward a fully active life, which was my goal. I can resume my yoga practice and I am almost completely pain free.....I am grateful to Dr G for being a partner in healing, and I have already made several referrals to him.

Submitted Aug. 3, 2013 | flag

Dr. Jeffrey A. Goldstein is simply the best Orthopedic Surgeon to have. I adore Dr. Goldstein and his medical team. The surgery on lumbar spine L3 - L5 was a complete success and restored my active life style. Also very impressed with the caring staff at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases.

Submitted June 26, 2013 | flag