Dr. J. Julie Chen

Grad. Year: 1983

Answers Email: Y
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 06/07/12    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 2.6 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 23 reviews. Dr. J. Julie Chen has a fair overall rating on RateMDs.com. neutral

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: Has this Doctor been reported to the Medical Board?    Email me    Answer it

Pain Mgmt / Physical Rehab-related: pain relief, physical rehabilitation, stroke recovery, accident recovery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5328603
04/04/14 2 2 1 1 On my first visit Dr. Chen was very nice, engaged & promised me she would help me & gave me a hug. That was Dr.Chen1. The medication she prescribed didn't work & I was suicidal for 2 weeks because she refused to change my medication (per her staff). On every other visit Dr. Chen was rude, angry, didn't make eye contact & didn't care what I had to say. This woman has split personalities. She gave me trigger point injection & a 5 minute "acupuncture" treatment. I've had trigger point injections & that is not what she did. The injections did NO good. The staff here is unhappy & overworked. The waiting room is always packed because she is so far behind. Terrible Doctor charging for "bogus" procedures. A pain management Doctor should care about their patients or at least listen. Not Dr. Chen.
RID: 4995994

06/02/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' rating (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 3.0  Respond
RID: 2756815
08/08/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Julie Chen is the BEST of the BEST. My Mom is 92 and has been seeing various doctors for a hip pain for half a year with very little help. Dr. Chen fixed her pain the first visit and my Mom has no negative side effects. Dr. Chen is very personable, caring and understanding. She takes the time to listen and then applies her skill as is applicable. It appears that the same person wrote all the negative responses below. Too bad some patients go to a professional, certified and trained Doctor for their advice and treatment, but then think they know more than the Doctor. Whatever, some people are chronic complainers. All of us here, especially my 92 year old mother (the patient), give Dr. Chen the very highest rating and recommendation.
Insurance: Humana
RID: 2753686

04/08/13 1 1 1 1 This Dr. Should be closed by the medical board. Dr. Chen is rude, ignorant and doesn't really seem to care about the Patient she takes on. She had me on meds that I couldn't function on. When I told her that I didn't want to take the meds because I didn't feel safe Operating a vehicle with my 15 month old son in the car, she told me I still needed to cont on the meds for two weeks. I never returned. She is going to kill someone if she not stopped! Since you must have a Referral from another doctor WE should make the referring doctor know not to refer her to ANY of their patients. Spread the word! Save a life.
RID: 2707682

12/07/13 1 2 1 2 Dr. Chen is the worst "physician" (and I use that term loosely) that I have ever enountered. As stated previously, she does not make eye contact with the patient. She relies on a "medical assistant" to take vital signs and ask a "pain scale". She does not even look at this data, nor the history of the patient. There is absoluteley no physical assessment completed on her part and no questions regarding current status are ever asked. Dr. Chen does not allow for questions or discussion. She decides (based on her mood that day ) whether she will treat your chronic, debilitating, degenerative disease for the next 30 days. She will cut your medication in half without warning and when asked for information as to why she will state "I am the doctor and you are the patient", followed by an office staff stating "Dr. Chen could lose her license". Dr. Julie Chen should learn patient's pain is what THEY SAY IT IS-not what SHE decides it is!
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 2667143
31/05/13 1 2 3 2 Dr.Chen was rude, never made eye contact, has a poor, at best, command of the English language, and ignored my commentary regarding my medication history andit's effectiviness. She went on to inform me that this was her practice and shewould treat me as she saw fit. If I didn't like it ...too bad. She had very negative comments about my previous Dr.and why he was no longer in practice. I find myself in agreement in most of the negative comments previously made and would be inclined that she is in the business as a money machine. She didn't remember the medications she had previously given me, and told she was going to write 4 scripts for me this time. She didn't and when I questioned the OA I was told that the prescription machine was not working correctly. (Never did get all the scripts!) Until I can find a real Dr. I am forced to continue to put up with her nasty, unprofessional approach to medical treatment.
RID: 2617058
14/04/13 5 5 5 5 My name is Rebecca V., and I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Chen and her staff in December. She was so personable, and I felt at ease discussing my medical conditions. Though she was helping her collegue at the time who was ill, she took great care of my medical concerns. I realized she had many patients and was kind enough, the scheduler and Edmond to get me in to see her on her lunch time. That spoke volumes. I will ask her to see if I can become a permanent patient for my pain care that is ongoing. Woman to woman, I felt comfortable and realized her kindness and compassion to listen and guide me in the direction that was best for my ailments. I would recommend her to friends and family, when the question is addressed to me. She is courteous, upfront credible, and compassionate and I felt a great connection with her and her professional staff. Kudos to all of you! Rebecca V.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 2613326

10/04/13 2 2 1 1 Worst experience ever. She never closes the door during meeting with you, the staff is rude and so is Dr Chen. I asked if I could wait a month to get my first nerve injection due to a busy month and she said no, it was being scheduled in 2 weeks and she wouldn't give me more pain medication without it. At my first appt we discussed me getting off my meds (This is all I want thus trying her alternate approaches and acupuncture) but she lowered my medication at my second visit (1st time writing me a script) without even telling me and not yet having a procedure! I don't hear well and when I asked her to repeat herself she yelled at me and said "I needed to pay attention and listen". I overlooked many things at my first appt and meeting with her bc I was excited about getting off meds, injections at the site of the nerve pain and acupuncture but after the second visit being worse than the first I decided to dismiss myself and never return.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 2602778
29/03/13 1 1 1 1 This office needs to be turned into the Medical Board...Dr. Chen should not be allowed to have a license...The whole experience was like being in the monkey exhibit at the zoo...Her staff is beyond rude as well as Dr. Chen!!! When I first arrived I was taken by her MA, whom was cursing in the office, thru a maze in the office into a completely different medical office for my urine tox screen...When I asked her who's office is this? Her response was "Dr. Chen's, she owns both of these offices, she is licensed in more things than just pain management". She went on to say "She does some skin care as well, she doesn't do much of that, but she is trained with the lazer". WHAT!! Where the hell am I! I waited for an hour to see her, the girl that took me tothe exam room had saggy pants on and I could see her underwear, there was a dog in the office, and then when Dr. Chen came in she told straight up that I was fat...She was just plan RUDE and unprofessional. Would not send a stray dog here!!
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 2566002

20/02/13 1 1 1 1 Dr Chen is very rude and disrespectful,iI have three kids and a wife and all I want to do is take care of them I was seeing Dr pojie for over a year and she understood the pain I was in. She was unable to take my insurance any more so they switched me to Dr Chen , she announced all my blood work results to the waiting room and told them why I was there she yells at you and tells you that you don't need meds you just need a massage her staff is very rude and likes to schedule patients way after there meds are due . They never do what they say they are going to do and have a dog freely roaming the office . But yet you can't bring your children there . Its absolutely crazy and she dosent deserve to be a doctor let alone a pain Dr I wouldent recommend her to a tree let alone a human being. Because she do sent deserve to have her license
See Responses
RID: 2554319

08/02/13 1 2 1 2 My insurance paid at 100% and I was still charged for co-insurance. Tried to get it back was a nightmare. Needless to say I was given injections without discussing the effects or what to expect. I did not sign releases for this. Totally unprofessional service. I would not recommend this Physician to anyone. This Physician is all about money and not the patient care or the patient's concerns or questions. Where is the hypicritical oath applied Dr.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 2537198
21/01/13 2 1 1 1   Respond
RID: 2528674
11/01/13 3 2 1 1 After a life time of health issues and seeing many Dr.s I came to this Dr. once and will NOT return. I could go on and on ,but, this sums it up " It's frightening to think she is a Dr."  See Responses
RID: 2520333
03/01/13 4 4 4 4 This person should not be a Dr.. Allegedly the employee's around the office talk about her being Bi-polar, which could account for her hatefulness. I was a patient of her partner Dr. Poje for over a year and was on meds that changed my life. My insurance with no warning decided not to carry Dr Poje so they had me see Ms Chen . She did not know what was wrong with me or were my pain was. When she found out what was wrong with me she turned so nasty and prejudice!!! She acted like I was the one who prescribed my meds. , no mention of her partner. She got so amped up and said Im not giving you meds Im taking you off and did so. I never got to open my mouth again she rudely told me to go wait in the waiting room when I tried to talk. My life is not the same anymore I can barely get up. Im sick and in pain. Im so sad considering a few months ago I Was working out , walking 5 miles a day. Do not put your trust in this persons hands. Remember Dr.'s are Human and not everyone is good.
Insurance: Medicaid / Medi-Cal
RID: 2503903

17/12/12 1 1 1 1 She refused to give a prescription refill for the first 30 days. On my next appointment when I needed a refill of pain medication she wouldn't fill a prescription and told me to stop taking it. She said that I am "too young" to be taking pain medication even though I have 7 herniated discs in my back. So I stopped taking the oxycodone, went through severe withdrawals, and had a heart attack as the result. I am 36 years old. She is a horrible doctor who yells at you also. I will never go there again.
RID: 2467436
06/11/12 2 2 2 2 Have not had a worse experience with a dr to date. My mom is seeing Dr. Chen for a severel arthritic hip and her pain has only gotten worse. The meds she was on, which were just enough to make the pain bareable, was taken away, she was put on an alternative meds which wasn't even covered by the insurance. Would not recommend this dr to anyone.
Insurance: Workers Comp
Paid (or co-pay): $40
Respond

06/07/12 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Jing" to "J. Julie"

03/05/12 SYSTEM: combined ratings from Anesthesiologist listing (DID: 83793)
RID: 1726434
01/03/12 5 5 5 5 Best Doctor I have seen for Pain management. She knows everything and helped me when no one else did. After 9 years I am still walking around with very little pain and no pain medicine. Thank you Dr Chin I will never forget what you did for me..
Insurance: BC Med
RID: 1523642
27/08/11 1 3 1 1 Dr. Murray who was my doctor there until he moved. Dr. Chen took over and did absolutely nothing for my ruptured vertibras in my back. In Fact She Took the medication away.. Worthless is the best rating I could give. The State Medical Board should look at her procedures.She is supposed to treat Pain. Nothing Else.
Insurance: Medicaid / Medi-Cal
RID: 1514811
17/08/11 5 4 5 5 DR CHEN AND HER STAFF ARE WONDERFUL. VONTESSA HAS BE A GOD SEND WORKING WITH ISSUES MY INSURANCE WAS GIVEING US. DR. CHEN IS ALWAYS ASKING HOW SHE CAN HELP AND GIVING ADVICE ON HOW TO HELP RELIVE MY CONSTENT PAIN , WITH OUT THE USE OF DRUGS. ALL I CAN SAT IS THANK YOU DR CHEN AND STAFF FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
Insurance: United Healthcare
Paid (or co-pay): $50
RID: 1434674
06/05/11 1 1 1 1 Honestly the very worst doctor I have ever seen. I suspect that this physician had at least one of the above reviews written for her, because the other reviews are laughable - she is *nothing* like they describe her to be. All I can say is, I wouldn't recommend her to anyone I care about.  Respond
RID: 1426223
26/04/11 4 4 5 5 Dr. Chen is a one in a million physician. She knows exactly what she is doing, can diagnose the reason you are feeling pain, & has many different (effective) treatments to help you control that pain & start living your life again! She cares about her patients & treats them kindly, creating peace of mind & the feeling of ease and calm. Her office & practice are completly trustworthy & she is a doctor that is knowledgable of the body, pain types/causes, & effective treatments. I also feel very much at ease in her practice because she is a doctor who is dedicated in patients whom need treatment, but stern - in which she can easily & quickly "weed-out" the person(s) whom do not need treatment (drug-seekers) because of her knowledge, expierence, & patient relations. If our nation had even 10 percent of doctors like her we would have more people treated whom actually need it. She is a intelligent and great doctor!
RID: 1175003
23/05/10 5 4 5 5 Understanding to the need for pain management, thorough in her wholestic approach to treat her patients, varied therapys including acupuncture, would recommend to anyone.
Insurance: Anthem
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 202632
15/03/07 5 5 5 Dr. Chen takes the time to get to know her patients, their histories, their concerns, their goals. She is extremely knowledgeable, friendly, courteous, and she has given me my life back.
Paid (or co-pay): $8000