Rate Dr. Shelby H. Carter

Dr. Shelby H. Carter's Ratings

I'm 74 yeas old, and had both hips replaced this year (Jan 29th and May 29th) by a first class surgeon, Dr. Carter. Have found out since that he apparently is one of the best in the US, and that patients come from all over the country. Also, was told other doctors come from around the world to train under him. Have never heard anything negative about him, and know a number of people who have been his patients. Because he is so good, the waiting times for surgery can be long; I was told 12 months for knees and six months for hips. Also, have a relative that had his hand successfully operated on by Dr. Carter. Not sure but am under the impression he also deals with shoulders and elbows, For hips apparently patients typically go home in 2 days; I stayed three each time. The waiting times to be seen for an appointment can be somewhat long as Dr. Carter takes as much time as needed for each appointment -- no rushing. I didn't care at all as I wanted to be dealt with by the best.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][744792].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 2, 2013

Dr Carter is an excellent doctor. He's rated as one of the nation's top doctors. Another of my doctors is a patient of his and referred me to Dr Carter. Many of his patients told me how he'd worked wonders with their problems. I had a broken femur which another doctor initially operated on, placing an IM rod inside my femur. My leg initially failed to heal. Since I was unhappy with my first doctor's treatment I switched to Dr Carter. Dr Carter used a combination of the latest methods to heal my femur. (He replaced my rod with a larger gauge one, grafted both my bone marrow and also a man made material, and I wore an electrical bone growth stimulation device on my thigh until the bone was well healed.) It took three years for my femur to finally heal, and Dr Carter had to really go to battle with my insurance to get them to cover all the treatments I needed. He's a very kind man, a good listener, and a highly skilled doctor. I can't say enough good things about him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][744791].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 13, 2012

Was referred to me by many of his patients. I feel like he is first class in what he does. I had successful knee replacement with him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][744790].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 29, 2009

Dr. Carter was recommened by my family doctor. my knee turned out great! Dr Carter was attentive, knowledgeable, patient, personable and professional.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][744789].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 8, 2009

One of the most dedicated...after two other doctors said they would have to use a prothesis...Dr. Carter saved me arm after a very bad auto accident

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][744788].votes_count ]]