Rate Dr. Alan B. Richards

Dr. Alan B. Richards's Ratings

After I scheduled my son for his eye exam I read these reviews. They scared me but he was the only doctor in the area to see my son. He is an amazing doctor. He is not the cuddle, playful childrens doctor. He is straight to the point and gets the job done. He was very thorough in my 8 yr olds exam and made sure I left fully informed of my sons condition. I normally don't write reviews but the reviews were the opposite of my experience. Give this doctor a try. He was wonderful to me.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2628142].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 21, 2014

Please consider other physicians before making an appointment with this doctor. He was arrogant, condescending and had a horrible method of patient interaction. I chose him for my daughter based on the number if years he has been in practice and because he specialized in pediatrics. He is not a gentle doctor, and he shouldn't be working with children. His rude comments had my nine year old daughter in tears. He contradicted himself numerous times when speaking of my daughter's diagnosis, and when I asked him to clarify, he told me that "It must be too complicated for me to understand".

It took three hours to complete what was supposed to be a simple eye exam.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2518406].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 29, 2014

Everytime I come here I wait at LEAST 2 hours. Dr. Richards is cocky and rude. Basically, if you don't question what he is telling you or if you just agree with him 100% then you will be fine. If you question him in any shape form or fashion, he will basically tell you that he knows what he is talking about and is better than you so you should probably shut up. He does not admit fault for anything. I hate that this is the only pediatric clinic in Shreveport.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2344551].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 10, 2014

My daughter was 18 months old when she had her surgery. He diagnosed her in July 2013 with lid ptosis on both eyes(muscle levators in eye lids were not strong enough to let her open her lids wider) and I was advised she will need surgery (frontalis suspension). She had surgery August 2013. 5 days after her surgery a stitch fell out when it was supposed to be dissolvable. I asked him at this point why is one eye up and the other eye closed. Why did this stitch fall out and black. He stated he could not predict the future. The sutter from within started to poke up thru the skin. We were asked to come back every week. I did this for a month and a half. I sent pictures to their website pedop@highglandclinic.com asked if they could see her. The surgeon on call refused to see her with a string sticking out of her face even though he was on vacation. He is rude and she still has problems. I do not recommend him. Daughter going to childrens hospital in new orleans and needs surgery again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][343026].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 3, 2014

I went with my son because we thought he had a stye. He could barely see out of his eye and failed his school eye exam. Upon seeing this dr we were made to come back everyday for two weeks. Then every other day. This went on for two months. His bedside manner was not the greatest but I wanted someone to help my son. He is now unable to see out of his eye due to all the meds that were put into his eye. Our daughter got a chalazion on her eye this year so we went back. I was sent home the first visit with anitibiotics at the ER. The next day since we were unable to fill the prescription he yelled at us in front of our child and told she was going to die. Basically we were unfit parents trying to kill her. We are still seeing him but I will not recommend him to anyone! She had nightmares about this man. He needs to find another job!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][343025].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 7, 2010

I took my then 1-year-old daughter to see him for possible crossing of the eyes. He informed me that she did have strabismus (crossing) and I should give her prescription eye drops several times a day. This would go on for years, and then she may need surgery. After researching this condition on the internet, I discovered that the first line of treatment for strabismus is glasses, plus there are many possible side effects with the drops he prescribed. I got a second opinion and learned that my daughter did not even have strabismus, but she did have pseudo strabismus (skin folds in the corner of her eyes that make it look like her eyes are crossing, when in fact they are not). She was put in glasses as a precaution (the usual first line of treatment!), but only wore them for a few months after subsequent visits and my observations at home (based on what the new doctor told me to look for) showed no signs of true strabismus.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][343024].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 27, 2009

this man was very polite at first meeting then he gave her an exam then read chart did a dilation and came back after 30 min and was a beast. scraeming at my child with a piece of equipment shoved on her eyeball she cried"I CAN'T SEE YOU ARE ARE BLINDING ME" HE SHOUTED "IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU SEE ITS WHAT I SEE" VERY VIOLENT EXAM LATER ADMITTED HE DID NOT HAVE THE EQUIPMENT OR THE EXPERIENCE TO DIAGNOSE TUMORS ON THE EYE ii went to him for a second opinion i barely got my records from his office his staff said frightened by this man they would not release the records to me without his approval i needed them to go to houston to get a true and better diagnoses strangest and scarcest doctors office visit ever.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][343023].votes_count ]]