Dr. Richard L. Alexander

Grad. Year: 1983

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.1 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 16 reviews. Dr. Richard L. Alexander has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5475182
13/05/14 5 4 5 5 I came to Dr. Alexander as a new patient when I was 6 months into my pregnancy with my first child after moving to the Monterey area. I had an good experience with both him and his staff. Thankfully, I had a complication-free pregnancy and birth so I didn't test Dr. Alexander's surgeon skill, but I felt confident that if something had arisen, he would take good care of me. I recently got a report from a friend who had a very difficult labor who spoke highly of him and his patience to prevent a c-section she didn't want. While Dr. Alexander is somewhat reserved, he's very nice and will take time to answer questions. He supported my desire to not have an epidural and go as natural as possible. Finally, his staff, both the front office and nursing staff are wonderful and easy to work with. I have recommended his practice several times and will continue to do so. *I gave a 4 on punctuality, but that's the nature his work--he was put off schedule by deliveries and complications.
RID: 2875301
24/09/13 4 4 5 5 I'm 4 months pregnant and currently seeing Dr. Alexanader. It is true that he is not completely forthcoming with information but he will answer any question you give to him. That's just his personality which does not bother me because I have heard he's awesome in delivery. His staff is friendly and returns your calls the same day. I have not had a problem with him and me being a military spouse unlike it says in other posts. They didn't even ask if I was going to be here for delivery. What I really noticed is that Dr. Alexander is much more talkative when my husband is present. He even did a free ultrasound because my husband couldn't ever get off duty to see the ultrasounds. It was wonderful. I think he is just more reserved when its only the woman for liability reasons, which makes sense. I really have enjoyed his practice and I've seen two Obgyns and two fertility doctors (fantastic RS in SF/Oakland area - Dr. Susan Willman) in the past two years. I'm glad he's my doctor.
RID: 2692800
24/06/13 3 4 3 3 He threw me away as soon as I received Medicare. I was his patient for many years and when I started receiving Medicare his office would no longer make appointments for. When I askd why they didn't notify me by mail the nurse said "Well we have thousands of patient's we can't do that. So now I don't have a doctor.  Respond
RID: 2503847
17/12/12 5 4 5 5 I had a complicated medical diagnosis which increased the risk of stillbirth with my second child. Dr. Alexander was extremely knowledgeable of my condition and dedicated to getting me and my little one through it. He really listened to all my concerns and was always responsive and empathetic, making my difficult situation manageable. With his level of experience he was able to outline a plan of care for my entire pregnancy at the very first visit. I knew exactly what to do and when to do it with his guidance. His staff is exceptional! Dr. Alexander, Jamie and Julie are always there for you, whenever you call and this is coming from someone who needed to call upon them a great deal. There were times his office needed to reschedule my appointment because he was in demand but I never felt like I wasn't his priority. If anything, it made me more appreciative of him because I knew he truly cared about each and every mom-to-be and baby. I'd definately recommend him!
RID: 2470647
09/11/12 5 5 5 5 Overall Dr. Alexander is really not only an excellent physician but an amazing human being.If you read about him on his website-alexobgyn.com it explains a lot about him and the extra humanitarian things that he is involved in as well as his church affiliations. From my conversations with him, he seems very family oriented and enthusiastic about what he does for a living.Some appointments are better than others, but girls remember that he delivers babies in the middle of the night and hes only human! Wouldn't you be tired sometimes too? As for the most recent posting. I do not believe that he is anti military. In fact, he himself comes from an air force background. As I remember, his father was air force. I am tricare, and haven't had any issues related to that. Perhaps this person is jumping to a conclusion?Having called around to other offices it seems standard to fill out paperwork and that the Doctor will review it.I was told this when calling other offices.
RID: 2461090
29/10/12 5 5 5 5 I'm 5 1/2 months along and so far it has been a wonderful experience. The front office staff is very kind, answers questions and makes you feel very welcome. Dr Alexander takes his time and answers any questions you have. He is very straight forward and we like that about him. He will tell you what he recommends but doesn't give you the obligatory "it's up to you/your decision" that some doctors will do that sometimes makes you scratch your head wondering why you asked in the first place. I never feel rushed, but my husband and I also come prepared with questions or follow up items to discuss. Very good bedside manners and being my first pregnancy, has been a great experience so far.
RID: 2457555

25/10/12 1 1 1 1 Not knowing anything about Dr. Alexander, we called to schedule a new patient appointment and left a message with the night service. I never received a call back. Giving them the benefit of the doubt that the message had been lost, I called the office to schedule an appointment. It was then that I learned I needed to come into the office for paperwork. I found this odd, but this is our first preganancy so I thought maybe it was routine. After visiting the office and filling out my paperwork I was told that the doctor would review the paperwork and someone would call me to schedule an appointment (which never happened). I then learned the reason behind their in office paperwork request is because the doctor will not see patients who have PCS dates prior to their delivery date (which I'm pretty sure is illegal). He's anti-military and I've told everyone I know not to go to him. I just can't believe there are doctors like this in the world that are allowed to continue to practice.
See Responses

08/04/12 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Richard" to "Richard L."
RID: 1697810
27/01/12 4 4 2 3 Absolutely the worst experience. I became a patient 16 weeks into my pregnancy, and he did not ask a single question about personal medical history or previous pregnancies/ deliveries, why I was transferring as a patient, etc. I had to corner him in the exam room if I wanted to ask any questions, otherwise my appointments were 5-7 minutes.. He seems like a competent doctor, however I would not know as he did not show up for my delivery. This was my biggest disappointment. I specifically asked him at my first appointment if he would be the doctor that delivers my baby, and he assured me that unless his elderly mother had some sort of medical emergency, he would be there. I delivered ON my due date during normal business hours, yet he did not come in to the hospital until the following day. When I asked him of everything was on with his mother, he told me she was fine, he was just tired & had taken the day off to rest. While my baby was healthy, I was disappointed with his lack of caring
RID: 1215335
25/07/10 5 3 2 4 While he seems to be very knowledgeable, he will not offer time to answer questions. He often answers the first question I ask as he is walking out the door or down the hall which means I don't have opportunity to ask all the things I would like. He does not review my chart with each visit and has tried to send me to take tests multiple times because he didn't see I had already done them. He doesn't ask for details when presented with situations that could be complications and just says "it's normal" with no explanation as to why or how to fix the problem. I am in a constant debate as to whether I should switch providers or not, I feel as though I have no information and support, but I have been told he is a skilled doctor. His bed side manner is abrupt and short. He always seems rushed but he is supposed to be very good at the actual delivery. If you can put up with his less than stellar personal communication style he might work ok for you.
RID: 1118307
02/03/10 5 5 5 5 I FELT VERY MUCH AT HOME.THE STAFF IS WONDERFUL. THE DOCTOR IS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE & INTELLIGENT. ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS. I FELT VERY INFORMED WHEN I LEFT. WILL DEFINATELY REFER HIM TO ALL MY FRIENDS.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1109369
18/02/10 5 5 5 5 Doctor Alexander is the best doctor that I have ever been to. He was very friendly, helpful, insightful, and knowledgeable. I had delivered my baby a month early, and Doctor Alexander was right there at the hospital as soon as he got the call. I went into labor on Tuesday, was released on Thursday, and back on Friday because my baby had jandus. I saw Doctor Alexander there the entire weekend, working hard. I would recomend Doctor Alexander to anyone who is going to have a baby. I know that I will be going back for my next baby! :)
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 804061
02/03/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Alexander was polite and helpful as I had my first and second child. He walked my husband and I through the whole nine months with kindness, compassion, and the type of integrity and experience you WANT in a doctor. We highly recommend him to friends whenever we can because of his tireless work during both pregnancies and everything in between.
RID: 712947
30/10/08 4 3 3 4 Dr. Alexander may seem a bit hurried and not so friendly, but I think that may be just his personality. I find him very knowledgeable and experienced. My water broke early, and I had to deliver 6 weeks early. I was thankful that I had someone who had 20 yrs of experience. He may not volunteer any information, but if you do ask him questions, he gave straightforward answers (my husband liked that).
RID: 712236
29/10/08 3 3 2 3 Dr. Alexander was not very friendly when I saw him. He was usually late and when I would be in the office getting my vitals taken instead of acknowledging me and being hospitable, he would look at me and walk away as if I did not matter to him. He was not very informative with me about anything that was going on. His answers for my questions had to be answered in the hallway because as I started the questions in the exam room he would leave during the middle of my first question and I would have to chase him into the office for my answer. He was not very friendly with me or my husband. When I had an ultrasound done, he seemed annoyed when I asked to see the screen and when I asked questions on what we were seeing. When I started to have complications, he was not helpful and would not explain to me why I it was happening. During one visit he started to act demeaning because I did not understand him. It got so frustrating that I had to switch to a new doctor.
RID: 688899
22/09/08 5 4 5 5 DR. ALEXANDER IS ONE OF THE BEST DOCTORS IN THE MONTEREY PENINSULA. HE IS VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT HIS JOB AND LOVES WHAT HE DOES. I RECOMMENED HIM TO ANYONE OUT THEIR SEEKING A DOCTOR FOR PRE-NATAL CARE. HE IS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE AND KNOWS WHAT HES DOING.
RID: 18035
03/12/05 2 5 5 I saw Dr. Alexander throughout my recent pregnancy and found him to be very knowledgeable and friendly. He seems to care deeply about what he's doing. The only complaint is he does seem to be a bit overbooked, and I usually had to wait at least 20 minutes past my original appointment time. And when I did see him, he often seemed to be in a hurry and would forget to ask if I had any questions, so I had to catch him on his way out the door to ask what I had on my mind. But that's the only complaint; otherwise, he is great and seems very caring.
Paid (or co-pay): $15