Dr. Alexander D. Kofinas

Grad. Year: 1976

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 39 reviews. Dr. Alexander D. Kofinas has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5688166
29/07/14 5 5 5 5 I was referred to Dr. Kofinas after having lost my twin sons at 24 weeks, with no good explanation as to why I suffered complications. I was told "these things just happen sometimes." Dr. Kofina's initial protocol includes screening (through bloodwork) for genetic and other conditions that could cause the condition that I later learned impacted my first pregnancy. Dr. Kofinas takes a proactive approach to diagnose potential issues BEFORE there are problems. I cannot understand why not all physicians operate under this logic. He provided me with answers and a concrete plan for moving forward. I have the utmost respect and trust in Dr. Kofinas and his staff, and I cannot imagine ever using another doctor. I had to pay out of pocket for my visits with Dr. Kofinas, which was a considerable amount of money, but I cannot place a price tag on the security and peace of mind he has given me during my current pregancy.
RID: 5681856
27/07/14 5 5 5 5 Dr. Kofinas is extremely knowledgeable and has been very helpful during a particular time of great uncertainty in our pregnancy. His staff is always friendly, helpful and they have always gone the extra mile to keep my experience as frictionless as possible. I highly recommended this practice!
RID: 5622526
08/07/14 5 4 5 5 I cannot give Dr. Kofinas and his staff a higher recommendation. They were amazing before and throughout my entire pregnancy. My husband and I had a lot of anxiety about the pregnancy and Dr. Kofinas and his staff were always there to support us and answer any and all questions we ever had. They kept baby and I safe and healthy throughout. We received the best possible care and cannot wait to go back to the office with our next pregnancy!
RID: 5198124

21/02/14 1 1 1 1 Alexander Kofinas- works out of Brooklyn and Garden City offices. BEWARE! Sent me for over $15,000 in bloodwork, make me go on Lovenox when I didn't need to and sent me for UNECESSARY surgery when I was 9 weeks pregnant! Thought I had an ectopic pregnancy but did not! He was unremorsefuland downright rude. Didn't even call to make sure baby and myself were OK after being subjected to anesthesia for no reason. He does still however insist that I pay him. Horrible horrible horrible! Please get a second opinion!!!!!!!  Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Alexander" to "Alexander D."
RID: 2919775
18/10/13 5 5 5 5 I cannot describe Dr. Alex Kofinas in 1000 words. After 6 miscarriages with other doctors and over 20k in specialists claiming to be the "best doctors" in NYC, I went to George and Alex. Getting pregnant was not an issue- staying pregnant was. The emotional pain of this recurrence was unexplainable. It turned out that I had a severe case of a very common clotting disorder that was causing our losses. My husband and I were ALMOST hopeless. With the Kofinas brothers we tried for our 7th pregnancy, and now have a beautiful son. Dr. Alex Kofinas is one of the most caring, intelligent(and I mean this in the truest sense of the word) and amazing people we have ever met. Anytime I had concerns during my pregnancy, I just made a phone call to him and he would ensure I was seen immediately. Even after my pregnancy when I had a complication with my c-section, he had me come in to make sure I was okay. You cannot be in better hands with a perinatologist- or any doctor, in our opinion.  Respond
RID: 2683283
19/06/13 5 4 5 5 We can give Alex Kofinas and his staff/team at the Institute our utmost praise. Our care and guidance, and their concern for the very best outcome, was exceptional. I was a forty-nine year old mom and I had a wonderful, uneventful pregnancy. It is important to follow exactly what Dr. Kofinas advises, and we did. His knowledge, and his staff/team's, experience are proven.
RID: 2503885
17/12/12 5 5 5 5 I am so gratefull to Dr. Kofinas for his passion and expertise in high risk OB/GYN. I needed his care durning my pregnancy since I was egg donor recipient and perimenopausal. I needed to go to the office every other week, and than weekly toward the end. Dr. Kofinas is so smart and confident in his care that you know you and baby are getting safe care. His office staff and nurses and sonographers are also so accommodating and pleasant. The office is very clean and comfortable. If you are in need of a high risk OB/GYN you can be assured that you will get excellent care here. I have recommended him to family and friends and wouldn't hesitate to use again if needed.
RID: 2414743
31/08/12 5 4 5 5 I have had a wonderful experience at the Kofinas Institute! Dr B spent a lot of time with me, and was very patient in discussing my options...ultimately, I underwent a successful IVF procedure (the transfer was done by Dr. K himself, who inspires much confidence); I have felt well taken care of throughout the whole process. A special thank you to the nursing staff, who is phenomenal! Paulette really knows her stuff, and coordinates the whole IVF program--you will feel you're in great hands with her...Julia and the ladies are warm and knowledgeable and make the whole experience a positive and hopeful one for women trying to conceive. I've been to many fertility clinics, this has been a long journey for me--I am so glad I ultimately settled on Dr. Kofinas' office! rp  Respond
RID: 2382722
23/07/12 5 5 5 5 Drs. Ngyun and Koffinas are the best doctors you can ask for if you are trying to conceive. The entire staff from receptionists to nurses are also amazing. The doctors are extremely knowledgable, caring and professional, and with a great sense of humor which helps if you are nervous, as I was. Their comforting and warm bedside manner helped me to relax and go through all the exams, tests, etc. Thanks to them I now have a healthy and beautiful 2 month old daughter and look forward to going back to have a 2nd child.
RID: 1668370
23/12/11 5 5 5 5 Dr Kofinas, Dr Nguyen and staff are the best. Due to their research and experimental drugs I am 37 weeks pregnant today with a healthy baby girl! They are knowelgable, supportive and very honest, they may not always have the best bedside manner but they were exactly what I needed during this amazing and very difficult time.
RID: 1641292
22/11/11 5 5 5 5 Im currently seeing Dr Kofinas. I was recommended by my ob/gyn since I had poor pregnancy history. They found out what the cause was and managed to reverse it. I thank God that I was lead to this doctor. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly.
RID: 1634329
14/11/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Kofinas is a master at what he does. I miscarried and then got pregnant again. I immediately called the office and now had a beautiful full-term baby girl. My sister was also a patient there and is now having her 3rd child. We have recommended Dr. Kofinas and his brother to many people who were having trouble having children and now all of those people are parents. The staff there is incredibly sweet and professional and make you feel like family. I recommend this doctor 100%.
RID: 1572745
27/10/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Alex Kofinas amd Dr. Nuyan are always there when I need them. They are supportive and compassionate. Their staff is wonderful and professional. I recommend them 100%.  Respond
RID: 1559333
12/10/11 2 3 3 5 Dr. Kofinas is very knowledgeable and up to date on the latest research. I would recommend him to any woman whose pregnancy is considered high risk with the following caveats. His and his staff's bedside manner leave much to be desired. They are focused on preventing the worst outcomes but not necessarily on providing you a balanced perspective. Plus, the hours in Park Slope are not conducive to a working woman's schedule. They can not offer early morning hours because they share the facility with a fertility clinic, but then their office is also rarely open past 5pm and they do not allow you to schedule late afternoon appointments unless their morning and afternoon are already booked.
RID: 1545789
24/09/11 5 5 5 5 I completely trust Dr. Kofinas and his staff. He is extremely thorough and cares about his patients. He makes sure you have a healthy baby and you stay healthy during your pregnancy.
RID: 1532043
07/09/11 5 4 5 5 After 4 years of trying to have a second child, I am pregnant- thanks to Dr. George Kofinas and a cycle of IVF. Dr. Alex Kofinas and Dr. Nguyen are cureently taking excellent care of me and my developing baby. I feel that I get a lot of attention during my visits. The doctors and their staff are thorough and, at times, seem overly cautious (which is a comfort to me after an upsetting miscarriage.) Dr. Kofinas and Dr. Nguyen are professional and respectful in their manner. If they appear intense, I believe it is because they are serious about what they do and I am grateful for their commitment to their profession. I highly recommend this practice.
RID: 1517596
20/08/11 5 5 5 5 Our experience with Dr. Nguyen and the staff at The Kofinas Perinatal Center has been amazing. They are all warm and caring people who have helped us in every way possible. When our baby is born we will be so grateful to each and every one of the staff who works there. Our journey has been rough and they have tried to make it as easy and successful as possible.
RID: 1515842
18/08/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Kofinas is the most amazing doctor on so many levels. I lost 5 babies (2 at 21 weeks) until I finally discovered him. His compassion, knowledge, dedication and care is the most incredible I have ever seen (I did endless research and interviews with doctors from Columbia, Mt. Sinai, Lenox Hill, Yale, North Shore). He treats his patients as though they are his own family members. His staff is also truly wonderful, kind and informed. I have a beautiful, healthy son born full-term thank you to him. I would highly recommend him to any high-risk pregnant woman. I have a number of issue when pregnant from an incompetent cervix needing a cerclage to thrombophila. Dr. Kofinas and his team monitored me weekly to make sure my cervix stayed stable and revised my stitch when it began to slip (this is something no other practice will do), as well as to make sure the baby and I were healthy throughout my pregnancy. He made my dream of becoming a mother come true. I would follow him anywhere.
RID: 1507468
09/08/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Kofinas is very knowledgeable and helpful. :) Dr. Kofinas is known to be the miracle doctor. He makes people have babies. I never hear anything but positive things about him. I know a lot of woman who couldn't have a baby,but once they went to him they now have a baby or babies. :) I am under his care now and I feel confident and safe with him. :)
RID: 1408145
06/04/11 5 5 5 5 I was highly recommended to Dr. KOfinas and I am so pleased I switched. This Dr. is the most knowledgeable and educated Dr. I have ever met. Working in the medical field myself for 20 yr. I have never met a doctor so thorough and dedicated to his profession. Being a high risk patient I would highly recommened him.
RID: 1357914
08/02/11 5 5 5 5 The staff, nurses and receptionists, and the doctors are extremely kind and caring. Anytime I called the office I always got my questions and concerns answered. I am so grateful and thankful that I went to Kofina's Fertility Institute. Everything was thoroughly explained to us and we never felt pressured.
RID: 1277635
22/10/10 5 5 5 5 Kofinas Perinatal is an excellent fertility group which offers wonderful guidance, supervision and support on bringing their dream of motherhood into fruition.
Paid (or co-pay): $2000
RID: 1219689
01/08/10 1 1 1 1 DO NOT USE. I went to see kofinas at 13 weeks preg with twins and he told me that i had blood clotting issue/disease because both placentas had blood clots in them and these would only lead to more clots which would result in fetal loss due to abrution or preterm birth causing many complications for the babies over the course of their lives. He told me to immediately begin twice daily injections of lovenox due to imminent danger of losing babies. I was in hysterics and the nurse calmed me down by telling me that 80% of his patients are on the same treatment for similar issues. How is it possible that one doc has so many sick patients, all with the same treatment? I went for 2nd opinion and blood work confirmed i had no clotting issue or disease so i never went back to kofinas or on lovenox. I delivered 2 boys at 37 weeks and 4 days (6lb 4oz & 6lb 1oz, both 19 inches) without any major complications. Kofinas charged me $350 and my insurance $3,000. Cannot reccoment this doc.
Paid (or co-pay): $300
See Responses
RID: 1214582

23/07/10 3 2 1 1 He made my wife do unnecessary blood test for a bill of more than $1000 . then he misdiagnosed her saying she had a short cervix and she needed to take an experimental drugs to avoid a miscarriage. Threatening her that if she does not take that drug she will lose her baby. then We seek for a second opinion and we were told by the staff that if we don't follow what the doctor recommend we should simply find another doctor. we were in shock and disbelief but not even close as of now when we received a bill for more than $13000 ....my wife has an insurance (Aetna) but this office charge the insurance 200 % above what is considered "reasonable" so the insurance covered 70 % ...and we still have to pay $13000 ... remember ...7 visits....$1857 per visit...plus $700 co pay.... for a misdiagnosis...from a doctor that told us if we choose not to listen we should leave.... i wonder if we are the only one in this situation
Paid (or co-pay): $13000
See Responses
RID: 1178000
27/05/10 5 4 5 5 After going to many doctors and getting the same disappointing answers I found Dr. George Kofinas. He was the kindess and most knowledgeable doctor I ever met. In a short while he made all my dreams come true and now I have two beautiful children and going back for my third (hopefully). I would highly recommend Dr. Kofinas and wish there were more doctors out there like him. Thank you Kofinas Infertility Institute!!  Respond
RID: 1177664
27/05/10 4 4 5 5 I recently gave birth to a set of twins and could not have realized this dream without the support and treatment of the Kofinas-Fertility Institute. We found Dr. Kofinas to be a highly knowledgeable and informative physician who took the time to engage us and provide us a great deal of information. Despite the (expected) arduous physical challenges of fertiilty treatment, our surgical procedures were met with the highest level of expertise and competence by Dr. Kofinas. Our positive treatment process at the clinic was further enhanced by the empathic and attentive engagement of Dr. Brzechffa who is Dr. Kofinas' Associate Director.  Respond
RID: 1174922
22/05/10 5 4 5 5 All of the doctors and staff at Kofinas Institute are top-notch. They are all knowledgeable in their field and sensitive to the patients' needs.
RID: 1171740
18/05/10 3 2 4 4 Dr. Kofinas staff is great but he has an attitude. He is a good physician but bad bedside manner. He looks like a troll and acts like one.  Respond
RID: 1064288
27/12/09 5 5 5 5 We want to sincerely thank Dr Kofinas and his team for their compassion, integrity and honesty during this process. His knowledge and expertise helped us through the pregnancy. I credit him with my babies staying in ICU for only 7 days instead of 3 weeks. His course of treatment and advice were dead on. Because of him I was able to deliver 2 very healthy babies into the world in 2008. We will be forever grateful to him and his team. He seemed reserved at first but once he gets to know you he jokes with you and makes you feel comfortable. I will be a returning patient in 2010.
RID: 1055943
12/12/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Kofinas is a wonderful professional. Caring, knowedgeable and appropriate. He makes patients (most of them ar highly stressed high risk pregnancy patients) feel secure and confident. He is decisive and clear when it comes to the course of the treatment, he is warm and friendly personally. You cannot wish for a better physician to guide you through the pregnancy. He is a guardian angel to a lively crowd of beautiful healthy babies. My family feels blessed having Dr. Kofinas in our lives.
RID: 1014040
20/10/09 4 4 4 5 He knows his stuff for sure. Just wished he would ask his patient to sit up when finished so they don't have to chat spread eagle.  Respond
RID: 1013264
19/10/09 5 5 5 5 Very knowledgeable Dr. He is straightfoward and to the point. No small talk here. He will always listen and answer your questions, but will never sugar coat any situation. Bed side manners are ok. Staff is extremely professional and also on top of all patient situations making it easier to call in for medical emergencies. Highly recommended for a high risk pregnanct.
RID: 774133
27/01/09 5 4 5 5 Insurance company not listed. Dr. Kofinas is the best. My baby was 2 months early but I was prepared and he kept me very informed along the way. If I get pregnant again, after my husband he will be the first person to know. Thanks for everything.  Respond
RID: 756767
06/01/09 5 3 1 2 I cant believe that I read any good posts about Dr. Alex Kofinas. I was pregnant after two m/c and 4 years of trying. His brother George put me on Lovenox, a blood thinner, when all of the doctors I see now told me I didnt need it. He kept me on it during two weeks of bleeding and cramping which ultimately led to the loss of my baby at 3 1/2 months. When I called him over the weekend of the loss, he told me he's not in again until Tues at 10 am (this was on a Friday at 5pm). I begged him because of the severe pain I was in to even come in an hour early on Tues to see me first and he coldly told me again he comes in at 10. I had been to the emergency room twice in two days on Fri and Sat. Its not like I was faking What good is a high risk doctor if they are not there when you need them. He gets me sick the way he coldly told me to wait. Maybe the blood thinners or some better attention and my baby would have survived. Please do not go to him.
RID: 706821
21/10/08 5 4 5 5 if it werent for dr. kofinas i would not have my son. i suffered 2 miscarriages, and almost lost my son, but dr. k saved the pregnancy. he is the best.  Respond
RID: 643475
20/07/08 5 4 5 5 Staff are friendly but the doctor is very knowledgeable but not that friendly. He get straight to the point when he see you, no small talk. Overall I had a excellent experience with the whole practice.
RID: 519401
20/02/08 4 3 5 5 He is a great doctor!!! He saved my baby and I highly recommend him!  Respond
RID: 484718
15/01/08 5 3 5 5 There are now words to describe the professional and outstanding service of Dr. Alex Kofinas. He took nothing for granted during my pregnancy and saw me whenever I thought something was wrong. At one point GHI stopped paying him for services and he still treated me. There were times he treated me and knew he would not get paid. He was determined to see me through a successful pregnancy because after three miscarriages I was at my wits end. I delivered a healthy baby girl after five years of mis diagnosis and miscarriages. There are no words to express my appreciation of his professionalism and care are for the miracle he made possible for my husband and I.
RID: 427692
11/10/07 5 3 5 5 Dr Kofinas is a revolutionary doctor. For me,he left no stone unturned, he got to the root of my pregnancy problem, he concentrates on you and speaks stirnly but compassionately about what "we" need to have a full term baby. If you worry or show concern, he worries and looses sleep over your problem. He is an amazing physician. After I gave birth, he and Dr Nuen came into the delivery room to make sure I was ok as well as my 9 lb full term baby. I will never forget him and his team. He was confident when I was not, he was percise when I was unsure. He loves what he does and he saves babies and their mommies. His office is impeccable and he chooses and trains his staff, himself. His staff needs to pass his standards so without hesitation, they are top notch. Although I understand he is conducts conferences all over the world more freequently now, I always felt as though he was holding my hand when I was on bed rest at home or in his office.  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user