Dr. Michael Bowen Pickrell

Grad. Year: 1985

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 22/10/05    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.2 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 10 reviews. Dr. Michael Bowen Pickrell has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Rheumatologist-related: rheumatic diseases, musculoskeletal problems, scleroderma, musculoskeletal pain, arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, polymyositis, Raynaud's phenomenon, vasculitis, connective tissue diseases, rheumatic fever
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 1655818
08/12/11 5 5 5 5 Best doctor I have ever been to. Kind, smart.. I wish he were back in Austin. There is no other doctor like him in the world.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1570368
25/10/11 4 5 5 5 Dr. Pickrell had been my doctor since I moved to Austin in 1995. I believe it is he alone who kept me healthy as I have scleraderma that can affect many organs. He is very knowledgeable about this disease and always knew what to prescribe to me. For insurance reasons, I have had to go to another rheumatologist who is very nice, but I feel is not nearly as knowledgeable as Dr. Pickrell. He is a very compassionate man and an excellent doctor.
RID: 1196470
25/06/10 1 1 1 1 I just found this. See for yourself if you want to go see this doctor: By Mary Ann Roser AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF Friday, June 05, 2009 Three Austin doctors were among 71 disciplined recently by the Texas Medical Board, including one who the board said abused substances and misprescribed drugs. Dr. Michael Bowen Pickrell, an internist and rheumatologist, sought treatment for problems that the board said were related to substance abuse, depression and "steroid psychosis" starting in December 2006 and continuing into 2007, but he left the programs against medical advice, according to the board's order. He also self-medicated, improperly prescribed narcotics or other painkillers to six patients, and failed to follow up with a seventh patient who was tested and might have had a disease, the order said. Neither Pickrell nor his attorney could be reached for comment Thursday.  Respond
RID: 1023406
01/11/09 5 5 5 5 I am so happy Dr Pickrell is back practicing. I heard a rumor and the next day I called to verify he was back and made the appointment. He has never ever labeled me and went beyond what any other doctor would have done for me. I will be forever grateful for him. Please dont leave me again. It is so hard to find someone with the warmth and knowledge you have. Thank you.
Paid (or co-pay): $35
RID: 593506
19/05/08 4 5 5 5 The VERY BEST Rheumatologist I've ever had the fortunate pleasure of knowing. He made my RA very tolerable. I still follow his advice. Wish he was still practising. He's hard to beat - I know as I searched for a long time.
RID: 313910
09/05/07 4 1 1 I have fibromyalgia, and Dr. Pickrell was quite dismissive and disrespectful to me. He gave me nothing other than a "label."  Respond
RID: 273650
11/04/07 5 5 5 Dr. Pickrell has went above and beyond any other doctor I've ever seen. He is the most compassionate, caring, and truly intelligent doctor anywhere. I honestly wish he could start giving "teaching" classes on what it's like to be there for the patient to other doctors in surrounding areas
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 108944
23/01/07 5 5 5 Dr. Pickrell is the most caring, empathetic doctor that I have ever had. He has called me on weekends, volunteered to come see me when I was hospitalized - ON HIS DAY OFF! If all doctors were like him, this country would be much healthier - and happier.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 33266
25/06/06 5 5 5 I loved him. Compassionate, knowledgeable and thorough.
RID: 14071
22/10/05 5 5 5 I suffer with Fibromyalgia and Dr. Pickrell helps me live with as little pain as possible. He's excellent.  Respond