Dr. Ashiq V. Patel

Grad. Year: 1989

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 21 reviews. Dr. Ashiq V. Patel has a fair overall rating on RateMDs.com. neutral

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Endocrinologist-related: Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypogonadism, metabolic bone disease, diabetes mellitus, pituitary dysfunction, neuroendocrinology, diabetes, pancreas, pituitary gland, ovaries, testes, thyroid, adrenal glands
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5589820
30/06/14 5 3 5 5 I have found Dr Patel to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. At our first meeting, he discussed a different treatment option for my hypothyroidism, and suggested I go online and learn about it before making my decision. I appreciated his treating me like a partner in my healthcare. Following his advice has improved my health and I feel better than I have in years. He sees me regularly and always checks my blood levels, unlike previous Endocrinologists. I have always been treated respectfully by the doctor, but I follow his directions and work towards improving my health. I don't mind waiting, because I appreciate that he takes as much time as you need, I never feel rushed.
RID: 5557132
12/06/14 3 3 4 4 I think Dr. Patel is a knowledgeable physician. I'm one to do research on my issues and have confirmed my conclusions with him. I find if you are prepared to ask relevant questions and ask guidance he is very accommodating. Not everyone does research on their maladies, so I believe he could be more compassionate and patient. It is true it is like a factory line when coming into his office. My patience level is high so I'm OK with it.
Respond

29/04/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 3.2
RID: 4289935
24/01/14 1 1 1 2 Wait over an hour every apt. Before I'm even seen. Have walked out many times.
Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Ashiq" to "Ashiq V."
RID: 2843281

07/09/13 3 1 1 1 Second worst doctor I've ever had the displeasure of encountering (and the other caused a death - what does that say?). He gave no guidance on HOW to control my blood sugar, but berated me and used the recent death of my son to to bully me. When I made the decision to discontinue treatment with him and find a new doctor, he raised his voice at me and attempted to belittle me even more. This "doctor" is not worth the stress. I received no positive benefit from seeing him. He is NOT the only endocrinologist in town anymore and the fact that it only takes a couple of days to get an appointment at most, and a month to see the other - tells the whole story. Patients are flocking to the alternative. I know I've made the decision to leave the abusive relationship he attempted to force me into.  Respond
RID: 2570953
26/02/13 4 4 4 4 Patient and informative. Takes time to explain and does not make you feel rushed.
RID: 2569865
25/02/13 5 5 5 5 Dr Patel is awesome. I have been sick for years. Literially years. Every dr i have seen has dropped the ball. The day after my appointment, about an hour after I took the meds he prescribed I felt 100% better.I am so thankful to have found him on my insurance. He is unconvential, but effective. I am not certain why there are bad reviews on here, I am glad I hadn't read them before I saw him! He is on top of his game. Great, Great dr.
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 2416659
04/09/12 3 4 5 5 You typically have to wait a while (upwards of an hour, to be seen by Dr. Patel, but once seen he is always very informative and knowledgeable. I have only one negative with him and that is the time waiting to be seen.
RID: 2044815
18/04/12 3 1 1 1 Treated my condition with an unnecessary radical treatment and over medicated me twice causing SEVERE complications. DON'T LET HIM TREAT YOU!
RID: 1278438
24/10/10 3 3 1 1 IM NOW 30 WEEKS PREGNANT AND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH GESTATIONAL DIABETES HE PUT ME ON AN MEAT & VEGETABLES ONLY DIET, DIDNT EDUCATE ME ABOUT WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH MY BODY, NOT ONLY DOES HE NOT HAVE A REGISTERED DIABETIC NUTRITIONIST IN HIS OFF BUT HE TOLD ME TO RESEARCH WHAT I HAVE MYSELF AND THEN SAID THAT IM NONE COMPLIENT WITH THE DIET AND IF MY BABY COME OUT BRAIN DEAD OR COME OUT DEAD ITS NOT HIS FAULT AND I DID EVERYTHING HE ASK ME TO, HE TOLD ME THAT IM JUST FOLLOWING THE STEREOTYPE OF BLACK PEOPLE NOT FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS, NOT ONLY THAT HE TOLD ME THAT GOD HAS GIVEN ME A BLESSING AND IM KILLING IT! EVERY SINCE THEN I HAVENT BEEN EATING JUST TO KEEP MY NUMBERS DOWN I WAS ACTUALLY HOSPITALIZED FOR MY SUGAR BEING SO LOW. EVERYTIME I LEAVE HIS OFFICE I WANT TO KILL MYSELF AND LEAVE CRYING HE IS VERY RUDE! HE IS NICE WHEN SOMEONE ELSE COMES TO THE DR WITH ME BUT WHEN IM ALONE HE IS A COMPLETE JERK AND UNCOMPASSIONATE.NOW IM ON BED REST AND VOMIT ALMOST EVERYTIME I TRY TO SNACK
Insurance: Molina
RID: 1270256
12/10/10 2 1 1 2 He does not try to help his patients at all. You will wait hour to see him then he will spend less than five minutes helping him. I had been very busy over a few months so I was unable to make my 3 month checkup (I have Type 1 Diabetes) and when I actually had time to come in, he flat out told me he would not be my doctor any more. But I'm glad because he never helped me anyway. He would look at my glucose numbers without giving any advice on how to get them down. He never made any attempt to get to know my needs or habits. He clearly is in practice to get as many patients per day as possible. Overall, he is an awful person and extremely self serving. I would not recommend anyone go to his office and waste their time. On my final appointment with him, he was extremely rude, impatient, and bitter.
Paid (or co-pay): $35
RID: 1256802
23/09/10 3 2 3 4 Dr. Patel is very rude and uncaring. He has employed a physicians assistant to do a lot of his work. This annoys me and my wife because the insurance is paying for a specialist. We left him for a great internist, who has assisted us in all sorts of ways.
RID: 1225111
09/08/10 4 4 5 5 My daughter & I love Dr. A. Patel! He has been my daughter's doctor for the past 1 1/2 years, since she was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic at 4 years old. Even though Dr. A. Patel is not a Pediatric Endocronologist he is great with my daughter and extremely knowledgeable! I am very surprised to hear the negative comments since I have never heard him be rude or unkind! I have found a number of friends who see him for various conditions that I didn't know about before my daughter was diagnosed. All of my friends have had nothing but good things to say about Dr. A. Patel also! I have recommended him to several people and I will continue to do so!
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1194375
22/06/10 5 3 5 5 wonderful doctor. strict, but for my own good. Caring, very knowledgeable. Wants his patients to take care of themselves and to listen and do what he asks of them.  Respond
RID: 1084249
20/01/10 3 2 2 2 I've been going to him for Hypothyroidism for a few years now. Unfortunately they seem really busy because the wait is usually long 30 minutes to an hour and you only get to see the doctor for 2 to 5 minutes max. I had to do alot of my own research to understand my condition. I'm still struggling with loosing weight but I don't know if he can actually help me. I have considered finding another doctor for a second opinion and to see if he is just not the right doctor for me personally. He is really nice but just way too busy.  Respond
RID: 1074768
11/01/10 4 4 5 5 Dr. Patel has been wonderful!!! I have found him to be caring, patient and understanding of my concerns. He has made it very clear that I can call with any concerns about how I am feeling. He has also been very supportive, congratulating me on my success. I am surprised to hear such negative responses from other posts. I do know that he expects you to follow the treatment plan and if you don't, or don't at least talk to him about it before your appointment, that he feels like he is wasting his time. Trying to help someone who doesn't comply is definitely cause for frustration.
RID: 998769
29/09/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Patel has been very compassionate, very considerate, and has worked long hours out of his office to help regarding a difficult health situation. Very dependable, and I can rely on him to know what is wrong, what to do in every situation and to answer his phone when I am desperate for help. While in the hospital he visited me regularly and I have had to depend on him to help me regarding diabetes, addisons disease, along with other major medical conditions he has to work around.
RID: 971894
25/08/09 3 1 2 4 Knowledge 5, Manners -2!! He is mean and rude and yells at you if you don't come in when he says which is about every 6 weeks. He DOES withold medicine if you don't come to your appointments when he wants. I understand that he has liability issues, but I hate being STRESSED OUT that I'm going to be yelled at during an an appointment - which makes you NOT WANT TO GO! DUH!!!I think HE thinks he's inspiring people when he screams at them but NEWSFLASH!!! That doesn't work. He has ruined his relationship with me as a patient from this point on.
RID: 964204
16/08/09 5 3 5 5 Great doctor! Very knowledgeable. Very friendly and compassionate.
RID: 937884
16/07/09 3 2 1 4 Patel was very cruel, hurtful, and demeaning to me as one of his patients. He has no bed side manners and I leave his office in tears every time I visit. I will no longer use him as my doctor due to his uncaring attitude. I don't like to be told in front of my daughter that I'm going to be dead in my grave, or that flapping my lips is my only form of exercise. I don't need to be told that crying in front of my daughter shows how weak I am and that I should crawl in a hole and give up. I'm a educated woman who was told by my doctor to give up and get on welfare if I can't handle it. What happened to treating patients with respect and dignity? This doctor doesn't know the meaning of either of those words. Good luck to him because I won't ever step foot in his office ever again. He has a lot of knowledge as a doctor but is very unfriendly and has no empathy for his patients. No one deserves to be treated like they are worthless.
RID: 933668
10/07/09 5 4 5 5 Dr. Patel is an overall good doctor. He is generally on time. His office service is good. Their office hours are not always convenient. He is very helpful and can be a bit comical which is refreshing.  Respond
RID: 562728
10/04/08 2 1 1 4 He is an eogtist. Withholds insulin and vital meds if patient misses an appointment with him. Marks patient "non compliant" if they can not lose weight or can not do as he has told them to do. In my opinion he is culpable in diabetic deaths such as patient, Morgan Shake, 30 year old. deceased 4/06/08
* - Rating left by a registered user